Unanswered topics Active topics

Which one better

Share your In-Car Entertainment passion here.
joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Which one better

Post by joelwong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am

http://www.german-maestro.de/US/ms6508.htm

Or

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront4/P ... Id=2,27,41

Which is better?

I am using pioneer 4250 HU and probably not intending to run any amp, just replacing my front door speakers (and maybe put the front stock door speakers to the rear)

Car is CL7A

Was quoted $399 with installation for the German maestro and $215 for the pioneer at mustafa ( no warranty no installation and dunno is real or fake)

Choice of music: mainly vocals and big band.

Or any other suggestion with similar budget?

ivanlim
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by ivanlim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Best you go listen the speakers you had shortlisted and bring along the CDs you like to listen...your ears wld tell you which one is better...

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

ivanlim wrote:Best you go listen the speakers you had shortlisted and bring along the CDs you like to listen...your ears wld tell you which one is better...
Where can I try them? I heard the German maestro, sounded very good. But that was running on 3 way active and driven by stag amps. (Don't intend to go so high end)

Anybody got pioneer speakers I can try?

Another thing is can my stock hu drive these speakers?

Hellboi
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Hellboi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

joelwong wrote:
ivanlim wrote:Best you go listen the speakers you had shortlisted and bring along the CDs you like to listen...your ears wld tell you which one is better...
Where can I try them? I heard the German maestro, sounded very good. But that was running on 3 way active and driven by stag amps. (Don't intend to go so high end)

I heard a set of Pioneer running off 1450 HU and sound was bad and messy. But after running an amp, the sound improved a lot.

MB Quartz might be available at $300+ with installation.

ivanlim
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by ivanlim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

joelwong wrote: Where can I try them? I heard the German maestro, sounded very good. But that was running on 3 way active and driven by stag amps. (Don't intend to go so high end)

You can try Foon Audio@MacPherson Road. I did my active setup there, so were a few of my bros. Ah Foon carries Maestro. I quite like the Maestro sound but after hearing Focal, realised latter was my preferred...

You stock HU can drive the speakers but best add an amp...

AlanZ
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by AlanZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 am

If u dun intend to run any amp then dun get such powerful speakers.
The HU output will not match. Generally build in amp power is 50w max or ard 22w rms only.
A speaker with 30-40w rms with hugh sensitivity is ok already though not many choices.

Listen to the speakers as what they produce may be nice to others but not u.
But still I think matching is the most important.

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:30 am

AlanZ wrote:If u dun intend to run any amp then dun get such powerful speakers.
The HU output will not match. Generally build in amp power is 50w max or ard 22w rms only.
A speaker with 30-40w rms with hugh sensitivity is ok already though not many choices.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of, the hu might not be enough to drive the speakers.

Any suggestion?

Or any solution around that budget?

Yeah, budget might be a bit pathetic, but I don't want to go full ICE. Just want something more bearable

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:31 am

ivanlim wrote:
joelwong wrote: Where can I try them? I heard the German maestro, sounded very good. But that was running on 3 way active and driven by stag amps. (Don't intend to go so high end)

You can try Foon Audio@MacPherson Road. I did my active setup there, so were a few of my bros. Ah Foon carries Maestro. I quite like the Maestro sound but after hearing Focal, realised latter was my preferred...

You stock HU can drive the speakers but best add an amp...
Focal is quite expensive right?

ivanlim
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by ivanlim » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am

joelwong wrote: Focal is quite expensive right?
Depends on the series bro. Got $300+, $600 to fews ks...depends on how deep your pocket is. My advice, get a good set of speakers cos they will make a world of difference. Think long term also. My ride is 2yrs old+ nia when I installed the speakers. If you use it for another 7 years, annually is not a lot of $$...what's more I know what's the next car I'm going to change so am thinking of putting the Focal in the next ride...

AlanZ
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by AlanZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

joelwong wrote:
AlanZ wrote:If u dun intend to run any amp then dun get such powerful speakers.

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of, the hu might not be enough to drive the speakers.

Any suggestion?

Or any solution around that budget?

Yeah, budget might be a bit pathetic, but I don't want to go full ICE. Just want something more bearable
If you dun intend to play then just get an entry level component speaker.. Low power ratings. Should be cheap.
But if you wan get higher power then again your HU wont be able to push out the powers, then defeats the purpose on why you need that speaker again.
I am only on 60w RMS speakers an I find it sufficient for me..

Meanwhile if you wan decent sound, Get the appropriate comp speakers, amp and sub. tune it, and you got a basic 2 way.
Definitely much better than just good speakers with no amp or sub.

AlanZ
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by AlanZ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Sit in your different friends car and listen to their setup..
Those with only speakers, partial setup, 3-way active, passive etc..

End of the day,they need to sound pleasing to your ears. As each speaker has their own character ; some warmer, some more crisp etc..
Then you can decide if its to your liking.

You can change your speakers 1st. but then slowly you find that you lack this and that, then u add an amp to bring out the power. Then you realise not enough bass, then you add a sub and amp. Then you think tuning not good enough, then you add a processor.. And pay more, cause usually set is cheaper.

For me, I changed a head unit, then think speakers not good enough. So I changed the speakers, then I think not enough bass.
2 weeks later, I removed the speaker and got a brand new set...

Its a never ending route. But start when you know what you want to achieve and when to stop.

Shywurn
Idling
Idling

Re: Which one better

Post by Shywurn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 pm

joelwong wrote:http://www.german-maestro.de/US/ms6508.htm

Or

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront4/P ... Id=2,27,41

Which is better?

I am using pioneer 4250 HU and
car navigation system probably not intending to run any amp, just replacing my front door speakers (and maybe put the front stock door speakers to the rear)

Car is CL7A

Was quoted $399 with installation for the German maestro and $215 for the pioneer at mustafa ( no warranty no installation and dunno is real or fake)

Choice of music: mainly vocals and big band.

Or any other suggestion with similar budget?
You will get Sony sound system in this budget. It is the best product I have used.

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

any particular recommendations with sony?