Unanswered topics Active topics

Civic es1 or lancer cs5

Civic model year 2000 -2005
jungle-mania
4000rpm
4000rpm

Civic es1 or lancer cs5

Post by jungle-mania » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Anyone here can tell me if I should trade my es1 for a lancer cs5? Got a good offer for the trade.
Newbie ES1 owner

accordvtec
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by accordvtec » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 am

the EX model lancer i think ok...
Es1 oso phasing out soon liao...EOL soon

jungle-mania
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by jungle-mania » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm

It's the previous model, 1.8 turbo version. Feedback has been mixed, some say it's good or not bad, others say its a bad car. I am looking at it from the standpoint it is a normal car with a turbo, nothing to mod. Would it be a better car?
Newbie ES1 owner

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 pm

if you never owned a turbo car before be warned.

maintenance is HIGH.

dun believe.,. later you will ...

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

jungle-mania
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by jungle-mania » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Even at stock?
Newbie ES1 owner

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 am

jungle-mania wrote:It's the previous model, 1.8 turbo version. Feedback has been mixed, some say it's good or not bad, others say its a bad car. I am looking at it from the standpoint it is a normal car with a turbo, nothing to mod. Would it be a better car?
I would not suggest either.

Es1 is 04 or 05 car, govt finished cutting Coe quota in 04, so by the time you scrap, pricing for another car could be at all time high.

Fr lancer turbo. I heard a lot of people letting go of their ride cuz of problems. And with the current car price, who would want to change car for the sake of 'upgrade' now? Not many.
Normal car maybe, thing chia.....abit dangerous IMO
My 2 cents only

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 am

jungle-mania wrote:Even at stock?
Heheh, my buddy just got a used stock mit tc, just clutch pump alone cost him 2k, wear and tear hor, dun believe?
SEX is one of the nine reasons for re-incarnation, the RESTis not important.

Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Krado » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am

Whoever told you stock turbo car easy/cheap to maintain is lying. :lol:

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Krado wrote:
Whoever told you stock turbo car easy/cheap to maintain is lying. :lol:
no la... he is probably trying to sell you HIS turbo car... hahaha

try this:

Turbo car... every 90 days or three months - whichever comes first... 100% fluids change recommended... i.e. Engine oil (0W-50 recommended)
raidator fluids (yeah it gets really hot ... intercooler connected)... brake fluids... you better believe it...dot 5.1 and better please... not the usual dot4 and heavens forbid... dot3... clutch fluids... and power steering fluids... and manual transmission fluids...

every 90 days...

whoever tells you no need.. all waiting for something to 'blow' and go in for the big operation... earn more... :)

cheep hor? just add water can leow...

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

BrokenWingZ
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by BrokenWingZ » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Dear TS,

If you'd really like to know the Real Facts about this car, my suggestion is to log into the Lancer Motoring Club forum and check it out for yourself.

As this is a rare breed of cars here, the "respective car" forum will usually hold its experts who would have experimented with the car and taken the car to its limits.

You cannot pass your judgement 100% based on what people think or say, till you hear it from the horses mouth!

No 2 car with the same set up will yield the exact same results.

Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Just my $0.02 worth! :-)

nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by nikolaiski » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi all,

As someone who had to choose between an EK SIR and Swift Sport back in 2008 when I wanted to change car, I ended up buying a CS5 Lancer instead. WHY? Because 1- High OMV ($21,000). 2- Cheap price (no perceived value)

At that time my car 2nd hand was only 2.5 years old and selling at $40,000 before the high COE prices.

The car has NEVER given me any major problems like what people say. Dunno what the gb weak la, engine easy to piang, this and that...the problem lies with the driver. If you're going to mod this car like an Evo, then you better look for something else. The GDI engine is first generation technology and isn't durable like a Golf GTI's engine where you can up 100bhp and the engine won't piang. The limit for this car's engine is about 60-80bhp from stock, maximum TD04L running at 0.7-1 bar for reliability. But at this current state of tune, you had BETTER service your car every 5000km

BUT if you plan to drive it on the stock turbo with just tuning mods, your car will return you a very reliable 200bhp with GOOD meaty low end torque that you will never get from an ES1. Due to transmission losses this car isn't very fast (you can keep up but not overtake a 2.0 litre Civic) but it is a very good and confortable drive.

Again, I repeat that those unreliable reports you hear are all because people anyhow modify it without doing their homework.

BUT if you look north, this engine is VERY common and there is technical expertise at a few workshops in JB, who also know how to poison you into the illegal "dark side." muahaha.

In Singapore, the best workshops to go to are Harmony Motor (Joey also knows this engine well) and maybe Riverview (no experience)

I have had my CS5 since it was 35,000km, 5 years ago. Now it's mileage exceeds 250,000km on the STOCK engine with a bigger turbo and pushing 320Nm @ 2900rpm ,210bhp at 0.6 bar. It has been VERY reliable. The only two faults are the high pressure fuel pump ($630) and ignition coils ($20). I maintain it well, and intend to drive it till it's COE finishes.

Also, this car has been to Phuket......;) and back. And I drive to Penang every few months. No problems.

PM me if you have qns, and yea go to lancermotoringclub.com - we have a special CS5 corner there with a lot of friendly people. Three of them drive Hondas also..one EG9, Integra and an ex CS5 now driving an EK9 or EK4..haha

But if you ask me, I rather drive an EK9 and mod until siao....hahaha

nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by nikolaiski » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

btw, as an ex motoring journalist who has driven and owned 3 NA and 4 Turbo cars, I confidently can say that if you don't touch your CS5's engine, maintanence can be close to that of an NA car. 10,000km oil change, 30,000km auto gear, small turbo parts from used SF Foresters.

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm

nikolaiski wrote:Hi all,

As someone who had to choose between an EK SIR and Swift Sport back in 2008 when I wanted to change car, I ended up buying a CS5 Lancer instead. WHY? Because 1- High OMV ($21,000). 2- Cheap price (no perceived value)

At that time my car 2nd hand was only 2.5 years old and selling at $40,000 before the high COE prices.

The car has NEVER given me any major problems like what people say. Dunno what the gb weak la, engine easy to piang, this and that...the problem lies with the driver. If you're going to mod this car like an Evo, then you better look for something else. The GDI engine is first generation technology and isn't durable like a Golf GTI's engine where you can up 100bhp and the engine won't piang. The limit for this car's engine is about 60-80bhp from stock, maximum TD04L running at 0.7-1 bar for reliability. But at this current state of tune, you had BETTER service your car every 5000km

BUT if you plan to drive it on the stock turbo with just tuning mods, your car will return you a very reliable 200bhp with GOOD meaty low end torque that you will never get from an ES1. Due to transmission losses this car isn't very fast (you can keep up but not overtake a 2.0 litre Civic) but it is a very good and confortable drive.

Again, I repeat that those unreliable reports you hear are all because people anyhow modify it without doing their homework.

BUT if you look north, this engine is VERY common and there is technical expertise at a few workshops in JB, who also know how to poison you into the illegal "dark side." muahaha.

In Singapore, the best workshops to go to are Harmony Motor (Joey also knows this engine well) and maybe Riverview (no experience)

I have had my CS5 since it was 35,000km, 5 years ago. Now it's mileage exceeds 250,000km on the STOCK engine with a bigger turbo and pushing 320Nm @ 2900rpm ,210bhp at 0.6 bar. It has been VERY reliable. The only two faults are the high pressure fuel pump ($630) and ignition coils ($20). I maintain it well, and intend to drive it till it's COE finishes.

Also, this car has been to Phuket......;) and back. And I drive to Penang every few months. No problems.

PM me if you have qns, and yea go to lancermotoringclub.com - we have a special CS5 corner there with a lot of friendly people. Three of them drive Hondas also..one EG9, Integra and an ex CS5 now driving an EK9 or EK4..haha

Yup... every 5,000 km... or 10 full tanks? or is it 15 full tanks? whatever... one week one full tank or three? however you count it... agar agar... 90 days bro... full service... not 'no spoil dun change'...

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm

nikolaiski wrote:btw, as an ex motoring journalist who has driven and owned 3 NA and 4 Turbo cars, I confidently can say that if you don't touch your CS5's engine, maintanence can be close to that of an NA car. 10,000km oil change, 30,000km auto gear, small turbo parts from used SF Foresters.

That is the key. It must stay stock. but buying used... do you think it WAS stock all the way or use until time to sell revert to stock? then still stock?

Where got buy turbo car and DON'T PLAY one?

very very rare and even harder to prove... if you buy a used turbo car. please prapare for the worst, and get ready to replace just about everything... then you won't be heartbroken when here wear there tear...

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm

nikolaiski wrote:Hi all,

Aha... so... those selling their CS5 are all reliablly modded by people who knew what they were doing, etc. right? YES!! ok it's safe to buy a used CS5 now... all ok. no problem. just keep it stock stock. everything will be fine no problems... yeah! Always wanted to trade-in my slow turtle for a nice fast well kept safely modded CS5 TURBO .... sure no problems one...

and I was sold right up to your last thought..... *whew* lucky I din jump the gun... Honda still the one la...

until they launch the Honda Civic Type R Turbo in 2015... I prolly not think of a turbo car till then...