Unanswered topics Active topics

Seeking Advice - Honda Crossroad Fuel Consumption

Home Of The CrossroadeRs
ben_ang

Seeking Advice - Honda Crossroad Fuel Consumption

Post by ben_ang » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,

I just bought a 4 years old Honda Crossroad. Everything is fine till I realized the fuel consumption rate is high. Less than 10km/L. Crossroad fuel tank is 55L and it only last me for 330km. It was also after I have send for servicing and everything is in good working condition. Replaced the engine oil and spark plug also.
I have done some research and find out that fuel consumption is 11km/L at least on the average. Could the size of tyre and rims make big difference to the fuel consumption? Can someone advise please

thanks

everyrockkills
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by everyrockkills » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi bro,

Seems like something is not right somewhere?
When i was on both stock and 17" setup, was able to
get 11km/l or more depending on my right foot.

On offroad tyres setup was able to get 10-10.5km/l.

Did you mean that you only managed 330km on a full tank?

By the way whats your rims size?
donteatmeatwithafork

ben_ang

Post by ben_ang » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Bro,

thanks for your response.
okay. the tyre and rim is 235/60 R16.
Actually stock is 215/60 R17.
I went to workshops and all told me that the tyre and rims are very heavy, therefore are on the high fuel consumption.
Or do u think that there is something wrong with the exhaust?
Stock exhaust is the round one, but this isnt. The exhaust sound is quite noisy as well.

neonleon
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by neonleon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am

It very much depend on the driving style & traffic condition.
If you are always travelling during morning & evening peak hours, 9-10 km/l is very normal. Especially now the road is so much congested over last two years.

everyrockkills
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by everyrockkills » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:35 pm

True. Depending on traffic conditions. But 330km on a full tank??
donteatmeatwithafork

neonleon
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by neonleon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 am

"Full tank" is subjective.

Some JB pump station pumps more air bubbles than gasoline. Their 55L is not always 55L.

Next, check that there is no leakage due to evaporation. If the fuel tank cap is not close properly (must turn until you hear clicks clicks), your fuel vapourised.

Check the cap seal is proper.

Checkno leaking tank.
Check no cheapo stealing fuel from your tank.
Check no one buffet on your petrol when you leave the car on auto petrol pumping.

can also check that air filter should be clean. spark plug etc

everyrockkills
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by everyrockkills » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:35 pm

you are thinking very out of the box. i like!
donteatmeatwithafork

rawkneehuang
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by rawkneehuang » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 am

My meter average says 8.8 to 9.1. About 52 litres got me only 400++

Bad Data
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by Bad Data » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Getting 300+ from 55L is ridiculously low. Previously when mine was in stock condition i can easily get 12km/l with 60% highway and 40% city driving. Even now with roof rack and oversize tyres, I could easily attain 10km/l. However i may be light footed and i travel like tortoise most of the time. But then, i have a live example of an xrder getting 8-9km/l consistently due to heavy footed. For some cases, it depend on how heavy footed you're. Do you floor your accelerator pedal when moving off and practice hard braking most of the time? Here what you can do, try cruising on expressway for a good 3 -5 km , preferably with ECO light at odometer appearing and at the same time reset your fuel guage/flow calculator, if it register around 14 km/l or above, i think the car is ok.

Below are some info that might causes high fuel consumption:
+ air intake : This will cover the cleanliness of carburetor or throttle body and the air filter. Make sure there is no obstruction in the air intake system and no carbon deposits or dirt. This is the most important part to get better air flow and fuel consumption.
+ tyres : Inflate your tyres regularly to make sure the tyres are inflated within the limits. If possible, inflate it with nitrogen due to its good property that will retain longer in the tyre and is lighter.
+ spark plug : Check your spark plug at several interval for wear or carbon deposit. Change it when it reaches 40,000km – 50,000km.
+ Faulty O2 sensor : This sensor got wear & tear also and expected life is abt 50,000km to 100,000km. when the sensor starts to die, it usually signal low voltage to the ecu and ecu automatically keeps adding fuel to yr engine.
+ fuel filter : Clogged fuel filter also can cause high fuel consumption.
+ Injectors : can spoil or get dirty. Go to service center to clean it.
+ brake caliper : brake calipers also need servicing.. if too much dirt and debris get stuck to the brake pistons, it can get jam.. thats when ur engine have to work hard to push the extra load created by the braking. jack car up and roll wheels to check
+ insufficient engine grounding : Many people didnt realize how important engine grounding is. The grounding cable which costs around RM100 with the voltage stabilizer will make so much different on your car performance and fuel consumption. It is highly recommended that you install the device.
+ faulty MAP sensor: Faulty map sensor creates inconsistent signals to engine ecu and results in inconsistent a/f ratio..
the only way to detect is when yr car starts having inconsistent performce like running rich 1day and going lean the next day..
+ Using wrong exhaust extractor and piping size, and putting in a straight flow instead of the stock S-flow piping.

dunamis
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by dunamis » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 pm

It is not uncommon to get less than 11km/l on a crossroad.

A large part depends on the traffic conditions. I got my crossroad brand new and and used to travel on expressway 80% of the time. Then I could achieve 12km/l at times.

But when my journey changed to 90% city driving with everything else remaining the same, my FC dropped to 8km/l.

Xrder
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Xrder » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:22 am

Hi Ben ,

I think Bad Data bro got it all sorted out for you . from intake all the way to fuel filter and all . very nice !! . Almost all possibilities you can think of.

I suggest you do a thorough check on all the pointers he gave . Maybe to add on , If your rims are 16" and heavy and the tyres you are using are thick profiles , naturally your FC will increase because you are running on heavy rubber and torque is (weight of tyres at edge x distance to centre+ friction to overcome against ground during move off ) . intital move off will require alot of petrol.

The shaft connected to the engine is the same , no matter what , will produce the same RPM no matter how you step on the accelerator . since RPM constant , torque increase ( with heavy rims and tyres) , shaft works harder to achieve the desired speed you want for take off eg 2okm/h
naturally we will step more =)

R18a engine is a good engine .Just need good maintenance i guess . So far i dont hear any problems from stream guys as well . I wish i can trubocharge it tough. hahahha

just something to share ( if you can get the drift )

Thin shaft + thick rubber = hard take off= engine pumps harder = no feel
Thin shaft + little rubber = easy take off=engine pump easier = got feel .

:lol:

HaTchLoVer
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by HaTchLoVer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 pm

hi...

just my 2cents worth....i am on a 19"...but im very light footed (slow)...max i can hit 11km/L or lowest 9km/l...