Unanswered topics Active topics

Edix: steering & bike rack headaches

minireddot
1000rpm
1000rpm

Edix: steering & bike rack headaches

Post by minireddot » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Bros,

I'm driving an Oct'05 Edix 1.7. I am faced with following headaches which I hope I can get some assistance from you guys:

1. Recently, after I went through a wheel-alignment, somehow the steering feels over-sensitive i.e. tends to over-steer especially at speed of 60-80km/hr. At times, when driving off and turning right from stationary position, there is a loud sound and the tires/steering do not seem to coordinate well. What's wrong? Power Steering Pump? Lower Arm Bushing? :roll:

2. Just bought a couple of bicycles for familt ride over weekends and wish to buy a bike rack to be placed at the rear of Edix but was told that the black plastic spoiler with tail-light makes it not strong enough to mount the rack :(

Can somebody pls provide some guidance? Many thanks and cheers !
Small is good; Compact is better

Phasehonda
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Re: Edix: steering & bike rack headaches

Post by Phasehonda » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 pm

minireddot wrote:Hi Bros,

I'm driving an Oct'05 Edix 1.7. I am faced with following headaches which I hope I can get some assistance from you guys:

1. Recently, after I went through a wheel-alignment, somehow the steering feels over-sensitive i.e. tends to over-steer especially at speed of 60-80km/hr. At times, when driving off and turning right from stationary position, there is a loud sound and the tires/steering do not seem to coordinate well. What's wrong? Power Steering Pump? Lower Arm Bushing? :roll:

2. Just bought a couple of bicycles for familt ride over weekends and wish to buy a bike rack to be placed at the rear of Edix but was told that the black plastic spoiler with tail-light makes it not strong enough to mount the rack :(

Can somebody pls provide some guidance? Many thanks and cheers !
You got a copy of your wheel alignment report? My past experience is that the steering tie rod ends will have too much freeplay after 100,000km. but PI car mileage on the car meter cant be trusted. Shd get a workshop to have it checked bu jacking up the car.

minireddot
1000rpm
1000rpm

Headaches resolved!

Post by minireddot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks, Bro for the reply. Thought to share my experiences.

After a couple of weeks of research, visiting a couple of workshops & Honda parts suppliers, I finally solved the problems amid at a reasonable cost.

Called and went to Guan Hin Motor Workshop at AMK Autopoint. Was served by a friendly and sincere lady boss, Elsie. Went for a test drive and car was jacked for inspection. Was shown the wear & tear for the front lower arm assembly bushings as well as the front shock absorbers' stoppers. The same problems were also highlighted by other workshops but was quoted much higher prices or told parts are not in stock and have to wait for 4-6 weeks.

The Guan Hin's quotes for the genuine parts & labor cost were much lower than other workshops and reasonable vis-a-vis that of the parts suppliers like Thiang Seng (slightly more expensive but the market faces parts shortage). They also advised that I do not need to change the brake pads yet although I was advised by another workshop.

Front lower arm assembly: $500 (both sides)
Front shock absorbers: $520 (both sides)
Front shock absorbers' stoppers: $60 (both sides)
Labor cost: $120
Total: $1,200

Sent in the car at 8.30am & collected the car in the evening at 7pm. Car is as gd as new...smooth and steady during cornerings. Strongly recommend this Guan Hin for their warm and sincere service.
Small is good; Compact is better