Unanswered topics Active topics

brake compatibility

Home Of The Accordians
zolidlim
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

brake compatibility

Post by zolidlim » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 pm

hi guys, was told, rn6, cl7, fd1 and fd2 brakes are compatible?
one of the keys to happiness is driving a HONDA...

tckeong
5000rpm
5000rpm

Re: brake compatibility

Post by tckeong » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 am

zolidlim wrote:hi guys, was told, rn6, cl7, fd1 and fd2 brakes are compatible?
For FD1&2 yes, RN6 not sure.

akuma19
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Re: brake compatibility

Post by akuma19 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am

DC5 AUTO also same

zolidlim
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by zolidlim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

thks bros.... :lol: so brackets etc are same just that rotor diff size...

tckeong
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by tckeong » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 am

[quote="zolidlim"]thks bros.... :lol: so brackets etc are same just that rotor diff size...[/quote
Yes bro

Sammyporean
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by Sammyporean » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:52 am

FD2R and DC5R not compatible.
Don't drink and drive.. you might hit a bump and spill the drink!

pureness
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by pureness » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:38 pm

any idea if the spoilers are of the same size too?
ie can i fit a civic fd2 spoiler onto my accord cl7?

zolidlim
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by zolidlim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm

thks guys, so conclusion is bk for Rs is not compatible...

but cl7r can use the rest....

Seraphblade
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Seraphblade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:15 am

If you do not mind spending a bit to get custom brackets, any car can fit any calipers. Even if you are using a caliper that used 300mm rotors, you can fit a custom bracket so that it can run on bigger rotors.

Just make sure that the brakes are not too front biased when you upgrade your front BBK. As there is no direct fit for our rear brakes, the cheaper option will be to get custom bracket to fit an oversize rotor at the rear. I'm currently using 303mm front and rear, but 4 pot front, stock rear. Improved brake bias compared to the stock rear rotors. This can be felt esp when braking in a turn.

-----

On a sidenote, I'm currently on Spoon Calipers running VTTR rotors. When I changed my brake pads recently, I found out that I had to use S2000 brake pads.

Any other brothers having this problem as well? Or did my workshop actually fitted Spoon Calipers that was originally meant for S2000?
Ex: Honda Civic SiR (EK4) > Hyundai Avante
Current : Honda Accord Euro-R (CL7R) > BMW 328i (F30)

viper76
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by viper76 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Seraphblade wrote:If you do not mind spending a bit to get custom brackets, any car can fit any calipers. Even if you are using a caliper that used 300mm rotors, you can fit a custom bracket so that it can run on bigger rotors.

Just make sure that the brakes are not too front biased when you upgrade your front BBK. As there is no direct fit for our rear brakes, the cheaper option will be to get custom bracket to fit an oversize rotor at the rear. I'm currently using 303mm front and rear, but 4 pot front, stock rear. Improved brake bias compared to the stock rear rotors. This can be felt esp when braking in a turn.

-----

On a sidenote, I'm currently on Spoon Calipers running VTTR rotors. When I changed my brake pads recently, I found out that I had to use S2000 brake pads.

Any other brothers having this problem as well? Or did my workshop actually fitted Spoon Calipers that was originally meant for S2000?

bro when comes to safety ....best not to use customised brackets....tis is wat i learn from the old birds also....especially for braking system ...cos it often get heated up...if u on customised bracket who knws the bracket byebye...then hk liao...tats y the old birds also say get those bbk made for CL7. dun save on $$$$ n compromise safety ...

Seraphblade
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Seraphblade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Hmmm, I asked the workshop that did my bracket, it comes together with the rotors and are meant for CL7R. Using VTTR oversize rear rotors for CL7R, the bracket is claimed to be up to 900deg =/

This kind also should avoid? or quite safe liao?

viper76
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by viper76 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Seraphblade wrote:Hmmm, I asked the workshop that did my bracket, it comes together with the rotors and are meant for CL7R. Using VTTR oversize rear rotors for CL7R, the bracket is claimed to be up to 900deg =/

This kind also should avoid? or quite safe liao?
If frm branded bracket like vttr etc then ok...if fabricated or made by welders etc,,,stay away :)

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 am

Seraphblade wrote:If you do not mind spending a bit to get custom brackets, any car can fit any calipers. Even if you are using a caliper that used 300mm rotors, you can fit a custom bracket so that it can run on bigger rotors.

-----

Hi

Spoon BBK for CL7r was originally designed for S2k. thats why it uses S2k brake pads, doesnt matter which brand. However, because the diameter of the rotor is diff for S2k and Cl7r (diff is 2 mm if I remember correctly), Spoon BBK owners used to shaved off 2 to 3 mm of NEW brake pads so it can fit into CL7R Spoon BBK neatly.

Some history for those interested. When CL7r came out in Oct 2002, there were no BBK for the car. The first few batches of Spoon BBK with Japanese fabricated brackets came in early to mid 2004 (brought in by GR) and the brackets cost $900 more than the 'locally' fabricated braket Sppon BBK set offered by St powered.

From what I can recalled, there were no more than 4 to 5 sets of the original Japan fabricated brackets sold during that time. Later on in 2005, Spoon came out their own bracket for CL7R. However the design of the caliper is the same one as their S2k design, hence the need to use S2k brake pads. So currently in the market, there should be Japan fabricated brackets, local fabricated brackets and original Spoon fabricated brackets. Those buying used Spoon BBk should be aware.

For local fabricated brackets, most of them has no problem on the road. Some went to track and report no problem as well. However there are actual cases of some brackets breaking off during track, the most famous of which 2 S2k brackets broked and smashed through the front axle, putting the owners and fellow drivers at risks.

This is not to say local or unlnown fabricators are no good. It is just a reminder that many things are out of our control where as those brackets from BBK manufacturers should be safer.

Take care and drive safe.

Cheers
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

Seraphblade
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Seraphblade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 am

Wa bro hifi. Damn power la. Thanks a lot for the info. So how do we know what brackets are we on?

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm

Haha where or who did u buy the BBK from?

Did u get it from the official importer, in that case, I assume that the stuffs are original. If u get it used, its diff to say becos the owner may have got it use as well and hence, no more history can be traced. If u get it from workshop XYZ who get its from dunno where (definitely cheaper than official agent set), then u can never be sure that its original from the country of manufacture.

Nowadays its so common to find so call OEM products. some may even venture this BBK set from such a manufacturer, which when u check the website does not offer a kit for our car. Nothing wrong, just so u know that the BBK u bot is NEVER design for our car, it was MIX and MATCH and MANUFACTURED by someone for our car. Question is who manufactured it?

So an official receipt will show providence, else for me, I will spend a bit more and get from official importer or from someone I am 100% sourced it from the manufacturer, not other wholesaler or reseller from HK or some other place. U will be surprised how many workshop 'indent' their JDM stuff from big HK wholesaler or reseller becos of cost. There are also other workshop that import directly from Japanesse wholesaler or the manufacturer themselves.

Not too sure if I answer ur question.

Take care
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?