Unanswered topics Active topics

Are you aware ? - Honda Insight

Honda's Hybrid technology, including the Civic Hybrid (FD3) and the Insight (ZE2)
nikeian
3000rpm
3000rpm

Are you aware ? - Honda Insight

Post by nikeian » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 am

Hi to all Insight Bros,

Do you know when is your battery/electric motor being used ?

- When I need Acceleration (overtaking...)
- I always assume that the Honda IMA engine acts as a "Turbo Charger" to give you extra power when I need it.
- With Honda IMA, this gives the Auto Stop Function to be possible, as the electric motor enables it to starts / ''wakes'' up after brake pedal released.

Just a question: Is it possible to use the electric motor/battery on its own ? Without gas supply?

This is what I am trying:
Look for an expressway, say PIE or KPE - Accelerate up to around 75 to 77km/h, completely lift off the gas for at least a couple seconds, then VERY gently press the accelerator - if you are on the ''energy-flow screen'' on the MID, it should be easy to tell if you are using just battery power. (EV Mode) It was a very brief moment.

Successful EV Mode Execution
Battery power arrow to car only.
Successful EV Mode

Failed EV Mode
Gas arrow to car only.
Failed EV Mode

pottybear
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by pottybear » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:05 pm

The ev mode is very brief and hard to coax. Google hypermiling civic hybrid. The techniques described there would apply for insight as well. In any case, drive it per normal. Most importantly drive the car as much as possible. Batteries last longer that way.

anadivine
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by anadivine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:09 am

pottybear wrote:The ev mode is very brief and hard to coax. Google hypermiling civic hybrid. The techniques described there would apply for insight as well. In any case, drive it per normal. Most importantly drive the car as much as possible. Batteries last longer that way.
cool to note that batteries last longer by driving more..

nikeian
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by nikeian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:17 am

pottybear wrote:The ev mode is very brief and hard to coax. Google hypermiling civic hybrid. The techniques described there would apply for insight as well. In any case, drive it per normal. Most importantly drive the car as much as possible. Batteries last longer that way.
My apologies Bro Pottybear,

This applies to all Insight & HCH owners as well.

I have tried this on several occasions, (on streets / expressways) However, I must take back the 'brief' moment. It is possible to cruise at EV mode purely using battery power. Just that when the battery is extremely low - it will not go into EV mode. My longest period was thru an expressway (3rd to 2nd lane), about 3km - 4km...indeed it was hard to coax, but once you get the hang of it, you don't need to look at the MID to know its on EV Mode...(hypermilling)

The real reason why I am posting this is because just to share, discuss or about fully using the battery power that is being charged.

ManualOnly
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by ManualOnly » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:51 pm

This technique is widely known as pulse&glide in the hybrid community.

In fact, you can apply the same throttle control method on normal ICE cars and also ripe fruitful return in the FC department.

Sadly, it is a skill that many has little patience to practice or use in their daily motoring commute.

pottybear
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by pottybear » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:40 pm

yes yes. it applies to insight of course. both are the same engine anyway. anyhow i gave up after a while and just drove the FD3 normal.
nikeian wrote:
My apologies Bro Pottybear,

This applies to all Insight & HCH owners as well.

I have tried this on several occasions, (on streets / expressways) However, I must take back the 'brief' moment. It is possible to cruise at EV mode purely using battery power. Just that when the battery is extremely low - it will not go into EV mode. My longest period was thru an expressway (3rd to 2nd lane), about 3km - 4km...indeed it was hard to coax, but once you get the hang of it, you don't need to look at the MID to know its on EV Mode...(hypermilling)

The real reason why I am posting this is because just to share, discuss or about fully using the battery power that is being charged.

chalski
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by chalski » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:54 pm

errr thats what i been doing bro, the correct way is to try and achieve as many times the "1st picture" as u can. save more fuel!!! :D:D