Unanswered topics Active topics

Suspension replacement (Q&A)

Civic model year 2000 -2005
Post Reply
User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Suspension replacement (Q&A)

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

Early this morning, I went to Seletar Dam area. Found the road very quiet, very empty and very wide (and humpless!) so I had to let the D16 run free a bit...
Unfortunately on the way out, I hit some hardened concrete spill that was on the road with quite a loud knock. (and yes.. about 60 plus speeds)

On the way out onto TPE, the car was making a very weird knocking noise from the front right suspension whenever it hit any bump on the road. On smooth roads its fine, but it gets a lot worse when the road is as un-kept like those along Pasir Ris Farmway/Entrance to Seletar Camp roads.. Does this mean my front suspension is as good as f***ed?

So far everything else connected to the front wheels is working fine. Steering, brakes, CVT (no grinding noise), rim also not damaged.

Anyone has a pair of stock shock absorbers I can borrow to see if that's causing the knocking noise problem? If that doesn't solve the problem then I can prepare to empty this cny's angpow reserve liao...
:cry:
Last edited by Krado on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Post by fred59 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:04 am

Bro so early you go to the dam for wat
Catch monkey ar.

User avatar
MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Posts: 7871
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: Somewhere... out there.....

Post by MCDS » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

Hmmm... need to hoist up your ride to check la... usually rim and tyre is first to be damaged... trust me... i kena before... lucky on cheepo $100 rim and $95 F1 tyre... and managed to change that one rim - yes it was THAT badly damaged... suspension was OK leh...

so without hearing your 'noise' really can't tell what's the problem...

give Alvin a call and see if he can meet u or something, or advise u which WS to go to get an honest assessment.

most WS will TEAR YOU A NEW A-HOLE to get u to pay for a new suspension... it's one set hor... not one piece... nobody will sell one side one... likely L & R side if you lucky, big sharks will insist all 4 to be replaced for 'better' QC on the ride... no point half new and half old... which makes sense... but will kill your budget...
Image

Image
Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 am

fred59 wrote:Bro so early you go to the dam for wat
Catch monkey ar.
Friend wanted to eat prata at Jalan Kayu, then complain hot so we shifted to Seletar Dam. While slacking there I saw a few car crossing the bridge into Pulau Punggol so after our gathering decided to kaypoh to have a look inside.

Not bad place to clear some carbon but the road in is different from the road out. :cry:

But I found a nice spot where I can bring my honey to for our next outing... The road leads right up to the sea side. Very breezy and dark... :twisted:
Image

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am

MCDS wrote:Hmmm... need to hoist up your ride to check la... usually rim and tyre is first to be damaged... trust me... i kena before... lucky on cheepo $100 rim and $95 F1 tyre... and managed to change that one rim - yes it was THAT badly damaged... suspension was OK leh...

so without hearing your 'noise' really can't tell what's the problem...

give Alvin a call and see if he can meet u or something, or advise u which WS to go to get an honest assessment.

most WS will TEAR YOU A NEW A-HOLE to get u to pay for a new suspension... it's one set hor... not one piece... nobody will sell one side one... likely L & R side if you lucky, big sharks will insist all 4 to be replaced for 'better' QC on the ride... no point half new and half old... which makes sense... but will kill your budget...
But on the highway back home no steering vibration nothing leh. I read up that a damaged rim will cause some steering vibrations but I didn't feel any up to 90-plus speeds.

If that's the case then I'll prepare to eat grass for the entire March period. I think I might go try to drive over some more bumpy places first, but for now it seems that only the front right suspension is making that knocking noise.
Image

User avatar
fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Post by fred59 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am

Bro dont worry, regular meetup buddies
go check alvin at wshop confirm first
maybe i can help you get from Kap country
Honda Agent for recon cheaper anyway you
drive slow.

If I happen to change to coil over i gave you
mine, I think stock abso can service wat.

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:47 am

MCDS wrote: so without hearing your 'noise' really can't tell what's the problem...
Sounds like "Tupperware being hit with a spoon" sort of sound. Just to add.
fred59 wrote:Bro dont worry, regular meetup buddies
go check alvin at wshop confirm first
maybe i can help you get from Kap country
Honda Agent for recon cheaper anyway you
drive slow.

If I happen to change to coil over i gave you
mine, I think stock abso can service wat.
Thanks bro. I might head to Kah first.. haha! :twisted:
Image

User avatar
fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Post by fred59 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 am

Maybe your coil spring jumped the rail.
Go back to tat same spot this time hit the other
side to balance it lah.

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm

fred59 wrote:Maybe your coil spring jumped the rail.
Go back to tat same spot this time hit the other
side to balance it lah.
Can I try with your car? :twisted:
Image

User avatar
Wham
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:53 am
Location: SengKang

Post by Wham » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

bro krado, i can pass you my es5 stock suspension. Please PM your HP.
Don't Worry Be :)
7G-civic (EKI B+)
Image

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Wham wrote:bro krado, i can pass you my es5 stock suspension. Please PM your HP.
The first thing I thought when I saw your nick is the sound of the car going over the hardened concrete spill... really WHAM lor... :cry:

But really thanks for the offer, I'll let the suspension guys have another test to find out if what's exactly the problem. For now.. really slow and curious driving...
Image

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Update:

Either..

1) worn lower control arm bushing
2) worn sway bar end link
3) stabilizer knuckle? << According to Kah.
Image

User avatar
fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Post by fred59 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Bro Lion, wats the damage???

Next time drive faster so less stress on those parts.

User avatar
DaDude
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut
Posts: 3244
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Post by DaDude » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:00 pm

fred59 wrote:Bro Lion, wats the damage???

Next time drive faster so less stress on those parts.
:lol:
ImageImage
DDM

User avatar
Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Bedok, Singapore.
Contact:

Post by Krado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:00 pm

fred59 wrote:Bro Lion, wats the damage???

Next time drive faster so less stress on those parts.
Only went to diagnose. Haven't changed anything yet...
Image

Post Reply