Unanswered topics Active topics

Go-Kart Sessions/Information/Discussions

Home Of The S2000 Owners
XiaoNick
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by XiaoNick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:22 am

Ya where to buy cheap guards for the ribs? Kartright sells 200+ for a piece of plastic!

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 am

Xiaonick, you're probably referring to the earlier versions of the Tillett guard. The later versions like the R4 have a very stiff second layer below the the outer secondary surface. ~250-280 SGD.

You can get some cheap regionally made guards at Plentong track in JB. Roughly 130 SGD IIRC. Pretty thick, but I have some friends using them and there are no complaints.

====

CH, you should get a rib guard and a seat that fits you. Reduces bouncing around a lot. Then again maybe it's just the way your back is. I had a pretty experienced (track car) friend try out my kart and he fit the seat real good. He did about 2 stints of 5 laps each, but had back trouble for about 2 months after. He usually karts with a foam pad at the base of the seat, but that day he forgot it.
KART OR DIE

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Spunkett wrote:Ok, i'll sound like a wimp. Only managed one session on a fun kart and this morning, i felt like i got beaten up by thugs.
Terch: can you please weigh in on this. I get persistently the same bruised vertebrae after i kart. It's bone pain, not muscle. Am I going to happily bounce my way to a slipped disc?
Slipped disc will be pain radiating down your legs, not just the vertebrae. Prolly too big a seat. Try getting a fitting one.

C'mon, get a kart like Shaun said!

Maybe kart this Wed night or Sunday....

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Bro spunky, you want to buy a 35.60 capable kart with a freshly rebuilt engine? Cheap cheap bro.. use it for the first 6 months, put all the knocks on it, then upgrade. Bro, for you, I give special price pro....only for you. Sui bo bro? 8)
Last edited by ShaunSG on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KART OR DIE

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:41 pm

terch wrote: Maybe kart this Wed night or Sunday....
Make it Sunday mate :D Sunday will be a chaos fuelled party..

Wednesday evening I have other sports going on!
KART OR DIE

Spunkett
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Spunkett » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 am

Shaun:
Thanks mate. But i'll hold it off for a bit. My whole back still feels hammered today. I'll hold off getting a kart until i know this is a safe sport for me. Too much bone, not enough meat.

Terch:
Well, i'm happy don't already have a slipped disc! The past 3 times i got into a kart, the same spot on hte vertebrae gets bruised. Would repeated impact on the same spot of the vertebrae increase my chances of getting a slipped disc? Not too keen to try my luck with this. My old man had a slipped disc pretty young. Are such things hereditary?
And the only relief is the frivolous burning of fossil fuels, plundered from the loins of mother earth, expended at the whim of a callous right foot

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Fuel Filled chaos party as ShaunSG has predicted.

Filled with race karts all taking part in mini races and the such.

Most fun 3 hours a petrolhead can enjoy.

Nice seeing the s2k fraternity represented.

Spunkett....get a kart, can give free treatment!

Tried a front brake kart for the first time today. Real fun. Its all down to the driver.

ShaunSG did a nice time on my kart too!

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:32 pm

terch wrote:Fuel Filled chaos party as ShaunSG has predicted.

Filled with race karts all taking part in mini races and the such.

Most fun 3 hours a petrolhead can enjoy.

Nice seeing the s2k fraternity represented.

Spunkett....get a kart, can give free treatment!

Tried a front brake kart for the first time today. Real fun. Its all down to the driver.

ShaunSG did a nice time on my kart too!
Nice meeting you on a kart track at last Terch! The track was the most crowded I've ever seen it outside of a full on race. Hardly had space for more karts or drivers and crew. It's a bit of a worry, especially if more teams want to join the endurance racing. At just 8 teams and 16 karts, they seemed to be at max capacity. Can't imagine hosting 10 or 12 teams, 20 - 24 karts.

The mini races on weekends are highly entertaining with friends driving with you wheel to wheel in those on edge vehicles. The race we had across the finish line on the last lap neck and neck was hilarious.. giddyups and all.

Only the intentional blockers (strangers) who are slow, suck. Kartright should keep better watch and use the blue flags more though.. it'll be safer and more fun for everyone. Or grid by sprint times with the slowest at the back, certainly not anyway near the front half of the grid.

Your kart is really nice....felt natural and unstrained even in just those 7 or so laps. No wonder Tony is the ferrari of karts. With some fresh tires should easily do low 35s. Seat can be set slightly more upright. Even for me it was a bit of a stretch, and with my weight that far back, in the high speed sweepers even close to a steady state, the kart was loose. If it was a bit tighter in the high speed stuff it would probably require less commitment to whip through it. It's not so much the speed that scares.. it's those damn bumps hammering away, but your kart does a good job of absorbing them relative to mine.

Started cross training last week and saw results this time. Ran 55+ laps at full speed in the dry across 3.5 stints, and didn't feel tired at all until the last 5 or so laps. I'm going to start cross training a lot more seriously. Have so much more to do.. need to get to 3 stints of 33 laps each, within the 3 hour window, to prepare for any future endurance race in order to not be physically strained and have a shot at winning.

Friend who last week went 35.5 now is at 35.1 - which is about where the best non modified RMs on MG yellows, and rear brakes only, are at.

====

Spunkett, you must be healed by now! Time to buy a kart :D
Last edited by ShaunSG on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KART OR DIE

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Karts look kind of dumb in layout and they sound pretty horrible and don't seem to go fast, but a 35 hp kart will generate 1G in straight line (kind of like a 600hp big turbo evo) 5 times per lap (at Kartright), and pull 1.6 - 2.0 G lateral no problem (higher than Porsche Cup or AMAC racecars on pure slicks), and certain far more than any road car on any semi slick. More than an Ariel Atom too.

At tracks with smooth track surfaces, the sweepers can mean laterals of 2.5 - 2.8 G. The lateral jerk levels (derivative of acceleration) are also way higher than typical touring or GT cars because of low yaw inertia, high grip tires, and steering geometry. The lateral forces alternate every 3 or 4 seconds (as close as 0.7 second apart in a string of 3) with no chance for rest. And your body is unsupported from the shoulder blades and up. The challenge is made worse by vertical jarring of any rough track surface and the fact that the high steering ratios, high yaw acceleration, and non linear carb and engine power delivery mean you need to have small high frequency yet very precise steering inputs in order to go quick.

No electronics, 100% rear brake bias in the case of rear brake only karts means getting very loose very fast if overdoing it with the left foot. Relative to even the best road supercars, and most trackcars and many racecars, it is a massively challenging experience requiring actual fitness - triathletes with driving skills usually go extremely well in karting, especially endurance events.

Here's a video I threw together of the recent SMSA organized endurance race. To get to a level of fitness where a race like this would not be too punishing and compete for the win, each of the 4 drivers will have to be able to run 3 sets of 33 laps, with all 100 or so laps at least in the 36 range or lower, on average . The 3 stints will have to be at even intervals (60 minutes of rest in between stints, across 180 minutes total for each driver, to fit in the 4 hour total window. This is assuming a standard race strategy, no caution periods, with each driver pulling his own weight. Strategy cannot deviate that far from normal anyway, due to the rules, and also includes a very small buffer to fall on the safe side. If this sounds easy, try coming to the kart track and completing just a single stint of 15 laps at listed pace. A first timer would be lucky to get into the 36s, and if he could, probably not complete even just 5 in a row at that pace. Every hot shoe is welcome to come try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afL_PvKiHJM&hd=1
KART OR DIE

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Excellent video!

C'mon, any other s2k wanna get into karting?
Stock 2007 AP2
Polestared XC90. better fuel economy!
Stock 2009 SSS M16A Manual

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:41 pm

"Karting has a very good training effect, that is why today I just jumped into a testing day of the Tony Kart team in Lonato," he said on his official website michael-schumacher.de.
"There is nothing better for my preparations at the moment -- in terms of steering wheel forces for example karting is even more difficult than formula one," Schumacher explained.
Michael Schumacher's talent and ability will not have been faded by time, according to Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn.

Schumacher turned 41 last Sunday, and will be the oldest driver to race in Formula 1 since Nigel Mansell's abortive season with McLaren in 1995.

But despite his age, Brawn believes that the seven-time champion's competitive edge will remain as sharp as ever, citing his performances in recent karting events, in which he has beaten the likes of Vitantonio Liuzzi, Rubens Barrichello and Felipe Massa.

"I have got no doubts that the talent and the ability are still there," Brawn told AUTOSPORT. "You see little flashes of it when he takes part in competitions like the Race of Champions and karting races.

"They are not an absolute measure, but always the same guys win in them that win in F1. The guys that Schumacher beat in those events says a lot."
KART OR DIE

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 am

ShaunSG wrote:

"I have got no doubts that the talent and the ability are still there," Brawn told AUTOSPORT. "You see little flashes of it when he takes part in competitions like the Race of Champions and karting races.
Saw him help Team Germany win in ROCs in Beijing... still seems to have it, all down to him in the restyled Brawns, looks like if it was anything like 09, equipment being superior and the rest are a step behind, he'll sew it up by the 10th race.
Stock 2007 AP2

XiaoNick
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by XiaoNick » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:18 pm

ShaunSG wrote:Xiaonick, you're probably referring to the earlier versions of the Tillett guard. The later versions like the R4 have a very stiff second layer below the the outer secondary surface. ~250-280 SGD.

You can get some cheap regionally made guards at Plentong track in JB. Roughly 130 SGD IIRC. Pretty thick, but I have some friends using them and there are no complaints.

====
Thanks Shuan! I going to Plentong this Sat (the old Permas Track right?)

Maybe I will get it from them $130 right?

I think i won't spend so much like 200+ for a rid guard since I'm just a newbie

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:40 pm

XiaoNick wrote:
ShaunSG wrote:Xiaonick, you're probably referring to the earlier versions of the Tillett guard. The later versions like the R4 have a very stiff second layer below the the outer secondary surface. ~250-280 SGD.

====
Thanks Shuan! I going to Plentong this Sat (the old Permas Track right?)

Maybe I will get it from them $130 right?

I think i won't spend so much like 200+ for a rid guard since I'm just a newbie
Hi XiaoNick,

Plentong is run by Louis from the old Permas track but is not the same place. Its rather more secluded now, very tropical route. Permas now is a housing estate on steriods.

Plentong is a nice place and track.

terch
Stock 2007 AP2

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Call Him the Best Driver in the World
Six-time world champion Mike Wilson says karting is key to being competitive
A Gordon Kirby Column

============================

Juan Montoya's father Pablo likes to tell a story about Ayrton Senna mystifying a TV
interviewer who asked Senna who he thought was the best driver in the world.
"Mike Wilson," Senna answered.

"The TV guy didn't know what to say," says the senior Montoya. "He stood there, lost for
words. 'Who's Mike Wilson,' he asked. And Senna said, 'The best kart racer I ever saw.â€
KART OR DIE