Unanswered topics Active topics

downgrade from Civic(1.8) to Jazz(1.3)?

Automobile related topics
hanciyap

downgrade from Civic(1.8) to Jazz(1.3)?

Post by hanciyap » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:52 am

Hi all. Im new here. I bought a new 1.8civic 7 months ago. It's a good and powerful car but now i really think that i dont need such powerful car for normal use only. The reason why i downgrade is because:
-it wasted coz i didnt drive fast and its only for normal daily use
-cheaper insurance, roadtax, petrol, servicing .....etc if downgrade to 1.3

So, I need some experts advise. see below questions:

-Do I need to lose money if downgrade to jazz? Im not sure the market price now for civic and jazz, i bought the civic for ~$75000 with insurance (COE is low at that time)
-how about the COE things, i can use back the current one or need to get a new CEO if i change to jazz? COE for >1600cc and be use to <1600cc car?
-any website recommended for getting this kind of info?
-Is it better to call my car agent to talk about this? I just want to get more info before calling them so i wont like an idiot know nothing about this things :)

Appreciated if anyone can help. Thanks

Jovanna
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Jovanna » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 pm

u'll need to get a new coe.. all cars come with a individual COE..

K1@
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by K1@ » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:17 pm

To achieve your new needs, you will have to loss quite a bit as your current ride is hardly even one year old... strongly advise you to hold on to it. Good luck.

libbis
Idling
Idling

Post by libbis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Close my eyes, I can confirm you will lose money. Buying car in Singapore needs VERY VERY careful and long term thinking. Share with all :

1. Upon registering a new car, the car straight away lost 75% of its value. Gov pockets the that 75% first (PARF).

The lost can be 10k to 20k, certainly not in the regions or hundreds or few thousands.

For your case 7 mths back, COE was $5k+. You pay $75k for Civic 1.8. KM profit for a car is about $10k to $20k. If you manage to resell the car, then you will be absorbing this $10k to $20k. Becos 2nd hand car is base on PARF+COE+Loan. And 2nd hand car dealer likes this kind of deal alot - new car less then 1 yr, they can make good profit for this almost new car.

So keep that car, no matter how much running cost is. It is still viable to keep then change it.

ivant9029
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Re: downgrade from Civic(1.8) to Jazz(1.3)?

Post by ivant9029 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:15 pm

hanciyap wrote:Hi all. Im new here. I bought a new 1.8civic 7 months ago. It's a good and powerful car but now i really think that i dont need such powerful car for normal use only. The reason why i downgrade is because:

-Do I need to lose money if downgrade to jazz? Im not sure the market price now for civic and jazz, i bought the civic for ~$75000 with insurance (COE is low at that time)
-how about the COE things, i can use back the current one or need to get a new CEO if i change to jazz? COE for >1600cc and be use to <1600cc car?
-Is it better to call my car agent to talk about this? I just want to get more info before calling them so i wont like an idiot know nothing about this things :)

Confirmed LOSE MONEY $$$$ BIG TIME...BIG POCKET!!! Better stick to it till further notice..... 8)

pioneerpc
Civic EF/EG/EK Moderator
Civic EF/EG/EK Moderator

Post by pioneerpc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 pm

no point changing car..
ESI 2010-2012
Fit 2012-2013
DC5 2013-2014
Colt R 2014-2014
EK4 2014-2016
Wrx 2016-2017
Jazz 2017-2017
GTI 2017 -

K1@
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by K1@ » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:55 pm

It's really a waste to change car at this time. Since you have already owned it, enjoy the 1.8 VTEC cos you won't feel it in a 1.3 jazz. All the best!

fat_slayer
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by fat_slayer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:07 am

Not really got to lose big time.

My father-in-law's ody was bought at 98k in march. now dealer willing to take in at 97k. lugi 1k for ard 8 months... not too bad. the dealer willing to take in at such a high price bcos the new ody is selling at more than 110k currently.

but the down side is that prices of new cars now are substantially higher than what they used to be half a year ago...

Redplanet
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Redplanet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:09 am

fat_slayer wrote:Not really got to lose big time.

My father-in-law's ody was bought at 98k in march. now dealer willing to take in at 97k. lugi 1k for ard 8 months... not too bad. the dealer willing to take in at such a high price bcos the new ody is selling at more than 110k currently.

but the down side is that prices of new cars now are substantially higher than what they used to be half a year ago...
hmmm....which dealer so good? Can share, by pm if possible? You selling only or trading for another car?

K1@
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by K1@ » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:10 am

Sounds ok... maybe you can send the thread starter the dealer info and help him out. :D

Redplanet
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Redplanet » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:10 am

K1@ wrote:It's really a waste to change car at this time. Since you have already owned it, enjoy the 1.8 VTEC cos you won't feel it in a 1.3 jazz. All the best!
yes...TS should not change car...but change his driving style...LOL..

calvin_
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by calvin_ » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:04 pm

hanciyap wrote:Hi all. Im new here. I bought a new 1.8civic 7 months ago. It's a good and powerful car but now i really think that i dont need such powerful car for normal use only. The reason why i downgrade is because:

the most stupid thing to do in singapore is to buy a car. the next most stupid thing to do is to change car. but we all do it lol.

but ok la given if you really calculate money, you might not lose money. you take a pen and paper and do the below:

calculate how much money you need to pay if you are to completely settle the loan for this car. include the interest. for settling bank loans early there's this rule 69 that governs how much you need to pay. that's the ACTUAL cost of the car.

then calculate all the hidden costs you need to settle the rest of the paper works. take this figure to minus off the money you get back by selling the car, that will give you your actual lost.

then, calculate the total cost of buying your next car, include all insurance, paper work, COE, full bank interest (alot of people always don't include this into their calculation i don't know why. 2.5% interest P.A. for 5 years is 12.5% on top of the cost. if you buy for 50k, you need to pay 6.25k more).

then calculate the difference. i can almost be sure you either barely break even or lose money. this lost, however, includes the cost depreciation for the duration of your ownership of the car. if this amount is less than your depreciation then it is considered that you gain some.

a simple way of calculating depreciation is to take the ACTUAL cost of the car (i add in the bank interest, because it's the actual depreciation i'm facing. for market depreciation don't add in the bank interest), minus the minimum PARF rebate, divide by 10.

if you want to know how much petrol you save, the Jazz is about 30-40% more fuel efficient.

assuming an average petrol cost of 300 per month (which is quite alot already), you save about 80 bucks per month. about 1000 per year. you would have saved 10k over a duration of 10 years between driving a civic, and a jazz. this is all things constant. don't forget when people own a fuel efficient car, they also tend to drive more.
Treat a car like a human. It needs healthy diet, care and grooming, and most importantly, exercise.

hanciyap

Post by hanciyap » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:38 am

calvin_ wrote:

the most stupid thing to do in singapore is to buy a car. the next most stupid thing to do is to change car. but we all do it lol.

but ok la given if you really calculate money, you might not lose money. you take a pen and paper and do the below:

calculate how much money you need to pay if you are to completely settle the loan for this car. include the interest. for settling bank loans early there's this rule 69 that governs how much you need to pay. that's the ACTUAL cost of the car.

then calculate all the hidden costs you need to settle the rest of the paper works. take this figure to minus off the money you get back by selling the car, that will give you your actual lost.

then, calculate the total cost of buying your next car, include all insurance, paper work, COE, full bank interest (alot of people always don't include this into their calculation i don't know why. 2.5% interest P.A. for 5 years is 12.5% on top of the cost. if you buy for 50k, you need to pay 6.25k more).

then calculate the difference. i can almost be sure you either barely break even or lose money. this lost, however, includes the cost depreciation for the duration of your ownership of the car. if this amount is less than your depreciation then it is considered that you gain some.

a simple way of calculating depreciation is to take the ACTUAL cost of the car (i add in the bank interest, because it's the actual depreciation i'm facing. for market depreciation don't add in the bank interest), minus the minimum PARF rebate, divide by 10.

if you want to know how much petrol you save, the Jazz is about 30-40% more fuel efficient.

assuming an average petrol cost of 300 per month (which is quite alot already), you save about 80 bucks per month. about 1000 per year. you would have saved 10k over a duration of 10 years between driving a civic, and a jazz. this is all things constant. don't forget when people own a fuel efficient car, they also tend to drive more.
Thanks for the explanation. It's help to make up my mind, i will keep it :)

ivant9029
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Post by ivant9029 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:42 pm

hanciyap wrote:
calvin_ wrote:

Thanks for the explanation. It's help to make up my mind, i will keep it :)
Since decided to keep the car,..start thinking of adding some posion to it :lol:

fat_slayer
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by fat_slayer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Redplanet wrote:
fat_slayer wrote:Not really got to lose big time.

hmmm....which dealer so good? Can share, by pm if possible? You selling only or trading for another car?
Is your car bought approx 8 to 9 months ago when car prices were low and you intend to trade in your car now?
If yes, most car dealers would be able to give u a good price wrt to your initial purchase price. however, do note that car prices now are generally much higher then what you had paid for.