CL7R Tuning for low end and mid level torque

Home Of The Accordians
aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

CL7R Tuning for low end and mid level torque

Post by aust1n » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi, I'm new here.

I have just bought an Accord CL7R and was thinking of replacing the stock ECU with the Spoon ECU. Anyone wanna have feedback on the Spoon ECU? Also, what are the "must-have" mods for the CL7R?

Thanks!

Edit: Let's continue this thread on the best combos for low end and mid torque tuning for the CL7R
Last edited by aust1n on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SGV
5000rpm
5000rpm

Re: Spoon ECU for CL7R

Post by SGV » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 pm

aust1n wrote:Hi, I'm new here.

I have just bought an Accord CL7R and was thinking of replacing the stock ECU with the Spoon ECU. Anyone wanna have feedback on the Spoon ECU? Also, what are the "must-have" mods for the CL7R?

Thanks!
Must have and die die must have :lol: :lol: :

a) Bodykit
b) Rims
c) BBK
d) Cams
e) Exhuast
f) intake
g) manifold
h) suspension

No comments on the ecu..

aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi SGV,

Any brands for the parts in particular? Thanks

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Wats ur budget?

Must have ... in terms of importance

1. good set of tyres.... my preference Bridgestone RE070
2. good set of rims .... my preference VR Ce28N
3. good set of BBK ..... my preference ALCON 4 pot/steel braided hose
4. good set of coilovers ..... my preference Toda fightex or Mugen 5 Adj
5. Good intake ..... Mugen airbox or GruppeM
6. Spoon venturi throttle body
7. J racing manifold (only 1 approve by LTA)
8. Mugen short shifter
9. RSM (for speed cut)
10. Mugen exhaust (approved)
11. Set of TK bars (front, rear, set of anti roll abrs)
12. J racing side fenders
13. Toda A2 cams with Spoon ECU (tuned to A2 specs) --- not too hard core
14. Set of Bride seats

Thats abt it.... depending on budget choose ur poison

regards
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

SGV
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by SGV » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:29 pm

aust1n wrote:Hi SGV,

Any brands for the parts in particular? Thanks
What mostly Bro Hifi stated, I have them..Gd stuff cannot bluff..Enjoy your modding...

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:45 am

Hehehe I only need to think of the mods in some bros car here..... :lol:

aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:47 pm

Hifi1 thanks. Any feedback on the Spoon ECU on its own?

I read from some websites selling this ECU that the standard airbox was sufficient on its own for it to operate optimally.

What are the gains with the Mugen airbox anyway?

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 pm

aust1n wrote:Hifi1 thanks. Any feedback on the Spoon ECU on its own?

I read from some websites selling this ECU that the standard airbox was sufficient on its own for it to operate optimally.

What are the gains with the Mugen airbox anyway?
Gain by itself, Spoon ECU or Airbox is not much. Then any single mod gain is not much, only a combi of mods can show more gains. If just ECU, seems most people favour the J's Racing plug and play. For price of Airbox, suggest spending on A2 cams and ECU as a combo. Airbox go with Exhaust combo. Tyres, camber and BBK combo.

The thing abt CL7R is every mod gives u improvements which u can feel and enjoy. Hence many bros here spend a fortune modding it. After 5 yrs of driving and many mods, I still dont know which is the best mod. Sometimes its BBK, sometimes its Cams, sometimes its final drive and clutch, sometimes its exos,... just remember if u start, diff to stop.

Best is dont start.

SGV
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by SGV » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Btw to TS, if you want J's racing ecu, let me know cos I've a piece lying around..will let go if the price is right...

aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Hifi1: I don't know whether there are several types of Spoon ECUs but I was looking at this one

[/img]http://www.cl789.com/spoonecu.jpg[img]

This particular Spoon ECU apparently is plug and play and the gain is apparently 25HP whilst removing the 180kn/h restrictor.

SGV: I'm a noob to all this and I've never heard of the J's Racing ECU. How is it compared to the Spoon one? What are the gains from this ECU? Is it plug and play? Any documentation on this? Thanks[/img]

aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 pm

How do you post images? Mine did not appear!

Louis V
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by Louis V » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:03 pm

No longer a CL7R owner but based on my past experience, these are the following mods that you should have as a start:

1) Suspension (cos stock really too high and soft imho) - I've tried Mugen 5adj and Fightex before. Between the 2, I would choose Mugen for the ride handling. The only con to Mugen is that it's not height adjustable. Fightex is ok as well but between the 2, feel that Mugen is a better buy and cheaper too. The other suspension which I heard raving reviews is Aragosta. A lot of the first generation owners were using it and all were very satisfied the last I heard.

2) Exhaust - I've used Fujitsubo, Mugen and HKS. Amongst, these 3, I love the Mugen the best for the sound and HKS most for the bengness. Din like the Fujitsubo as it wasn't a full catback and hence was still pretty restrictive. Never dynoed the Mugen and HKS before but from past feedback, HKS was supposed to release 10hp.

Of course, there are many other mods which the bros above have listed. I have probably tried most of those but instead of telling you how good each one is..... I can instead share with you what I will not do if I have to start again. Without hesitation, I will NOT install aftermarket cams. Imho, you need to balance the hp gains against the money spent initially and the hassle thereafter when demodding. Take note that a demodded engine will never feel the same way as stock. With regards to ecu, I will go for MOTEC if I am still driving a CL7R. Though very costly, its the ecu enhancement that I would consider to be a true standalone. Alright, don't want to brainwash you too much here..... hope you have fun modding

aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for your input Louis.

Ok, bearing in mind I don't want to change the exhaust, suspension etc. (anything too noisy or compromising comfort), the ECU would be the first thing to change powerwise right?

If I had to restrict the mods to the ECU only, which one would bring the most gains in terms of HP and torque between J's Racing, Spoon and Motec or any other ECU?

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:50 pm

aust1n wrote:Thanks for your input Louis.

Ok, bearing in mind I don't want to change the exhaust, suspension etc. (anything too noisy or compromising comfort), the ECU would be the first thing to change powerwise right?

If I had to restrict the mods to the ECU only, which one would bring the most gains in terms of HP and torque between J's Racing, Spoon and Motec or any other ECU?
Honestly don't know if installing ECU on a totally stock car makes for much sense --- usually those of us who have seen the benefits of ECU mods have done other things first, like intake, header and exhaust at the minimum and especially cams.

Without these things in place, I don't know how much an aftermarket ECU can do to improve performance --- CL7R is a NA ride after all, unlike turbo cars in which a simple ECU reflash can do wonders. But you should still get the benefits of a lower VTEC crossover point and a speed limiter removal with the ECU mod.
ImageImageImage

Louis V
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by Louis V » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 pm

On the contrary, ECU is probably the middle or last thing that you will do powerwise. See the ECU as the missing piece to complete a jigsaw puzzle while things like I/H/E, cams, FD, stroker as initial pieces that you fix up first. Tuning is by itself a very expensive cost element, so by placing the cart before the horse, it's unlikely that you are going to get anything substantive. Doing mods this way is just going to cost you more $$$ cos you will require re-tuning along the way.

To respond to your last question, if you are only going to mod the ECU, then just go for either J's and Spoon but just dun regret that decision and end up having to remod when you get poisoned to do more.... Remodding is going to cost you.