Unanswered topics Active topics

CL7R Tuning for low end and mid level torque

Home Of The Accordians
aust1n
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by aust1n » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:32 am

Anyone wanna share their experience of the gruppeM and Mugen airbox? Which one would you recommend?

lucasrock
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by lucasrock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:57 am

There's actually another way to mod the CL7R if your intent is to get some low/mid range improvements. This is not going to be cheaper than usual mods, but it will maintain good driveability.....etc

Do your standard IHE mods.....keep cams/ecu stock!!

Change to lighter conrods, skim the head to get slightly better compression, change to DC5R oil pump, and do a mild porting of the head.

It's not cheap...at least $3.5k, but feel the difference you definitely can.
Best....the overall character of the car is maintained....good fuel economy, smoothness.....etc. Key is to find a trustworthy workshop who can do a good job for you. :lol:

But these mods are for those who intend to keep the car longer term....cos u cant take it out are sell them later. Perfect for those who are thinking of doing an engine overhaul.....cos of high mileage/wear and tear...etc. Happy Modding. :lol:

yan1261
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by yan1261 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:55 pm

lucasrock wrote:There's actually another way to mod the CL7R if your intent is to get some low/mid range improvements. This is not going to be cheaper than usual mods, but it will maintain good driveability.....etc

Do your standard IHE mods.....keep cams/ecu stock!!

Change to lighter conrods, skim the head to get slightly better compression, change to DC5R oil pump, and do a mild porting of the head.

It's not cheap...at least $3.5k, but feel the difference you definitely can.
Best....the overall character of the car is maintained....good fuel economy, smoothness.....etc. Key is to find a trustworthy workshop who can do a good job for you. :lol:

But these mods are for those who intend to keep the car longer term....cos u cant take it out are sell them later. Perfect for those who are thinking of doing an engine overhaul.....cos of high mileage/wear and tear...etc. Happy Modding. :lol:
SONG !!!

ENGINE OVERHAUL ....

STOCK!!!

WIl_ron
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by WIl_ron » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 pm

lucasrock wrote: Change to lighter conrods, skim the head to get slightly better compression, change to DC5R oil pump, and do a mild porting of the head.

:lol:
why dc5r pump will increase low o mid ?

Speed-R
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Speed-R » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 am

Bimmer wrote:
free2d wrote:
Bimmer wrote: bro dont read too much into that dyno, that dyno was done on the Js racing part owner's CL7R, his car is loaded....IHE all done, 120 Ron petrol, cool temp....all these that we dont have....

P.s: if beating the beemers are your target then i think even the ECU cant help you much...unless you are talking at the 4 potters...then i think stock if enough...but if you are referring to the 6 potters then i think you change car better....:)
Our CL7R cannot match E90 325??
depends lar....depends on how big your balls is...for me...i cant even beat the taxis sometimes buses also lose....:lol: :lol:
than is time for you to change car bro....hehe :lol:

coldspark
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by coldspark » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 am

WIl_ron wrote:
lucasrock wrote: Change to lighter conrods, skim the head to get slightly better compression, change to DC5R oil pump, and do a mild porting of the head.

:lol:
why dc5r pump will increase low o mid ?
i think dc5 oil pump do not have a balancer shaft. Toda came out one kit for CL7r - Balancer shafter killer or something like that. It actually replaces our stock setup with DC5 setup. i maybe wrong, lau jiao here can enlightened me ?
Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking...

puffer71
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by puffer71 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Bimmer wrote:
ml2spin wrote:
Aiyoh -- switch to hybrid lah -- new Toyota Prius is now 1.8L so power more than enough... or if you live with smaller cc, Honda Insight!!
insight nicer leh....esp with the mugen kit.
Seen the Prius 3 days back. interior and gear shifter is like autobots! Hehehehe.. the fuel consumption is like 25km/litre!! 100bhp. But she costs $95k otr! Guess the price isn't green!! wahahahaha..

panaracer
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by panaracer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:39 am

Speed-R wrote:
Bimmer wrote:
free2d wrote: ?Our CL7R cannot match E90 325?
depends lar....depends on how big your balls is...for me...i cant even beat the taxis sometimes buses also lose....:lol: :lol:

i alternately had e luxury to drive e 325 for a couple of wks every mth, w nice complimentary from a fellow accordian whenever he s outstation.......

from pick up, of course our R s mighter, esp at 2nd n 3rd gears from e lights.

the 6-cylinders 325 s not much of a puller, but i did try it even w ivan's CTR on SLE...... crusing at 100km/h, then we signalled to PULL, while i deep-depress e 325, i can see tat e CTR's head was only a headlamp in front of my, before disappearing into my (325) rear view mirror.

then on another occasion, i asked my frd to take out my euro R, n we ( i drove e 325) did e similar thing along TPE. results mirrored e above paragraph.

tats y i m very disappointed w 4-cylinders anymore...... of course, not mentioning other souped up euro Rs here; being e 325 s also stock w exhaust n air filter upgrades........

me driving at NSHW, e 325 gives me tat kindda different feel, compared to euro R...... whenever i need some pull, all i need to do n jus deep-depress, whereas my euro R needs to drop two gears manually, n count s seconds before engaging into e vtec zone.........

amongst all jpnese cars, this euro R s a beautifully crafted out masterpiece. but compared to e 325 & 335, i prefer to keep my comments to myself; read above.

tats y alfie n me r kicking our cars nowadays. once u touched a 325 (& above), u ll understand y i m writing all these....... if any euro R (even souped up ones) ever come across any BMW 335, my advise: stay clear of them! at their stock, they r enhanced w 310bhp & 400Nm from as low as 1400revolutions-per-min. get wat i mean?

i buay paiseh go n disturb a 335 las mth..... then stopped at e lights. jus secs b4 turn green, i blew some HKS music...... but once blinked GREEN, i can only see its exos smoked me out!!!!!!

imo, if i drive euro R, i ll only play w lancers, wrx, evos, CTRs, LGTs, 320, 323. once i spot 325/335/A5 etc........ i ll slow down. TRUST ME: jus only e 325's pulling power ll amaze many CL7s drivers. :idea:
ImageImage

free2d
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by free2d » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 am

Wah, so jia lat.

Uncle Bimmer purposely lose to bus to bio chio bu in the bus is it?

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am

Speed-R wrote:
no $$$$$...how to change???? haiz...

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:40 am

puffer71 wrote:
Bimmer wrote:
ml2spin wrote:
Aiyoh -- switch to hybrid lah -- new Toyota Prius is now 1.8L so power more than enough... or if you live with smaller cc, Honda Insight!!
insight nicer leh....esp with the mugen kit.
Seen the Prius 3 days back. interior and gear shifter is like autobots! Hehehehe.. the fuel consumption is like 25km/litre!! 100bhp. But she costs $95k otr! Guess the price isn't green!! wahahahaha..
hahaha....ya at night transform into robot to go dancing....hehehe....i sat in a insight...i tell you the dash is lagi more like autobots...maciam can talk to you...the starting squence is WOW....sibeh chio like play game...

anyway i think 2 weeks back, ST did a review on the Prius...the fuel com so-so nia leh...slight below 20Km/L....not great for a Hybrid....and yes the price is terrible...like that how to encourage ppl to switch to green cars??? haiz...actually i think now audi launches the disel cars...i think it a good option compared to hybrids....it will give the hybrids a good run for its money.

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 am

free2d wrote:Wah, so jia lat.

Uncle Bimmer purposely lose to bus to bio chio bu in the bus is it?

hehehe.....paiseh leh...dont say out mah.....

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 am

panaracer wrote: i alternately had e luxury to drive e 325 for a couple of wks every mth, w nice complimentary from a fellow accordian whenever he s outstation.......

the 6-cylinders 325 s not much of a puller, but i did try it even w ivan's CTR on SLE...... crusing at 100km/h, then we signalled to PULL, while i deep-depress e 325, i can see tat e CTR's head was only a headlamp in front of my, before disappearing into my (325) rear view mirror.

then on another occasion, i asked my frd to take out my euro R, n we ( i drove e 325) did e similar thing along TPE. results mirrored e above paragraph.

tats y i m very disappointed w 4-cylinders anymore...... of course, not mentioning other souped up euro Rs here; being e 325 s also stock w exhaust n air filter upgrades........

me driving at NSHW, e 325 gives me tat kindda different feel, compared to euro R...... whenever i need some pull, all i need to do n jus deep-depress, whereas my euro R needs to drop two gears manually, n count s seconds before engaging into e vtec zone.........

amongst all jpnese cars, this euro R s a beautifully crafted out masterpiece. but compared to e 325 & 335, i prefer to keep my comments to myself; read above.

tats y alfie n me r kicking our cars nowadays. once u touched a 325 (& above), u ll understand y i m writing all these....... if any euro R (even souped up ones) ever come across any BMW 335, my advise: stay clear of them! at their stock, they r enhanced w 310bhp & 400Nm from as low as 1400revolutions-per-min. get wat i mean?

i buay paiseh go n disturb a 335 las mth..... then stopped at e lights. jus secs b4 turn green, i blew some HKS music...... but once blinked GREEN, i can only see its exos smoked me out!!!!!!

imo, if i drive euro R, i ll only play w lancers, wrx, evos, CTRs, LGTs, 320, 323. once i spot 325/335/A5 etc........ i ll slow down. TRUST ME: jus only e 325's pulling power ll amaze many CL7s drivers. :idea: [/i]
argee with you total man...i drove a old 325 comvertible before (the old square model, think its E36 model) for about 2 weeks....the drive a amazing...the pick up like nobody biz...even at 140km, just step more and you can overtake easily...but the fuel comsumption also amazing....i becmae very good frens with the petrol stn ppl within 2 weeks...hahaha...:lol: :lol:

tagout
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by tagout » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:35 am

panaracer wrote:
Speed-R wrote:
Bimmer wrote: depends lar....depends on how big your balls is...for me...i cant even beat the taxis sometimes buses also lose....:lol: :lol:

i alternately had e luxury to drive e 325 for a couple of wks every mth, w nice complimentary from a fellow accordian whenever he s outstation.......

imo, if i drive euro R, i ll only play w lancers, wrx, evos, CTRs, LGTs, 320, 323. once i spot 325/335/A5 etc........ i ll slow down. TRUST ME: jus only e 325's pulling power ll amaze many CL7s drivers. :idea:
pana, you can only play with evo on FC nah lah... :lol:
"The lazy lefty legger" - 2011

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Bimmer wrote:
puffer71 wrote:
Bimmer wrote: insight nicer leh....esp with the mugen kit.
hahaha....ya at night transform into robot to go dancing....hehehe....i sat in a insight...i tell you the dash is lagi more like autobots...maciam can talk to you...the starting squence is WOW....sibeh chio like play game...

anyway i think 2 weeks back, ST did a review on the Prius...the fuel com so-so nia leh...slight below 20Km/L....not great for a Hybrid....and yes the price is terrible...like that how to encourage ppl to switch to green cars??? haiz...actually i think now audi launches the disel cars...i think it a good option compared to hybrids....it will give the hybrids a good run for its money.
And don't forget all the quoted prices are with green rebate factored -- meaning 95k for Prius, you only get 30% of its OMV back at the end of 10 years -- stiffer depreciation??

Test drove the Prius but only test sat the Insight so can't compare driving feel.

Prius is bigger, more power and mostly likely quieter with less stressed bigger engine and motor -- you can drive more often with pure electric motor... that said, on Eco mode, the throttle response is very very muted/dulled -- need to switch to power mode to get decent go from traffic lights and the throttle also is very sensitive -- you'll have a hard time keeping it in eco mode unless you can accept crawling away and slowly creeping up to cruising speed.

Toyota SE also admitted that the 95k price tag kills off the FC rationale -- you buy the Altis from 30k less and can you ever make up 30k worth of FC savings with the Prius?
But it is an interesting commuter car... although for the price, the Insight may make more $$$ sense -- smaller cc engine = less road tax, 75k vs 95k price tag, lighter kerb weight -- from US reviews, it's definitely less FC saving but more fun to drive -- too bad no test drive yet...
ImageImageImage