Unanswered topics Active topics

Sepang Lap Timing Query

Home Of The Accordians
User avatar
headless
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by headless » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Bros,

With the following mods:

HKS Exhaust
J's Racing Manifold
Gruppe M Intake
Alcon 4 pot (Original Alcon Pads)
Mugen Suspension
Advan Sport 18 Inch Tyres

What sepang timing is considered fast?

Thanks for all your inputs! :)

Gymrat76
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 12:33 am

Post by Gymrat76 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Errr, doesn't it depend largely on the skill of the driver? :?

User avatar
headless
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Post by headless » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 pm

I do agree. Maybe I did not phrase my question properly.

Considering an above average driver, with the above mods, what sepang timing would we be looking at?

Thanks.

User avatar
ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line
Posts: 2256
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:33 am

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by ml2spin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:24 pm

headless wrote:Hi Bros,

With the following mods:

HKS Exhaust
J's Racing Manifold
Gruppe M Intake
Alcon 4 pot (Original Alcon Pads)
Mugen Suspension
Advan Sport 18 Inch Tyres

What sepang timing is considered fast?

Thanks for all your inputs! :)
Oi!!!!! Two years no sight or sound and then now ask about Sepang!!! Fierce!!!!

Anyway, got to wait for more seasoned trackies to offer their opinions, but my best guess would be around 2.45??

Yes, setup of the car and tyres will determine or limit how fast you can go but the driver's skill and experience plays a big role in shaving chunks off at Sepang.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
headless
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Post by headless » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Ian,

Been overseas...Thanks for the input. Yeah, waiting for the Experienced trackies to help me out. :)

I would like to add the following more information:

No aggressive camber. I believe the front is about 1.3. Normal street setup recommended by Kenny.

Just want to get a honest sensing. Not looking for flaming... :)

Thanks

User avatar
puffer71
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by puffer71 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:34 pm

headless wrote:Hi Bros,

With the following mods:

HKS Exhaust
J's Racing Manifold
Gruppe M Intake
Alcon 4 pot (Original Alcon Pads)
Mugen Suspension
Advan Sport 18 Inch Tyres

What sepang timing is considered fast?

Thanks for all your inputs! :)
Bro, there are lots of unknown info about your car setup:

1. What tyres are you using for track? Street (Best one supposedly RE070, though some reckon Michelin PS2) or semi slicks or full slicks?

2. Do u have ICE, or just basic stock ICE? CL7R is extremely heavy. Are u gonna take something out from your car like ICE back seats, spare tyre etc.?

3. How much Front n rear camber?

4. height of your car? Higher the car, the higher the centre of gravity thus cornering speed is lesser.

5. Suspension spring stiffness?

6. Tyre width

7. Anti-roll bar? Hard bushings?

With minimum stripping, that is: rear seats n spare tyre out, stock ICE, using RE070 225x40x18, should be high 2:40s using mugen stock springs. I'm not sure of the tyre Advan sport grip.

User avatar
headless
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by headless » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:31 pm

puffer71 wrote: Bro, there are lots of unknown info about your car setup:

1. What tyres are you using for track? Street (Best one supposedly RE070, though some reckon Michelin PS2) or semi slicks or full slicks?

Advan Sports Tyres

2. Do u have ICE, or just basic stock ICE? CL7R is extremely heavy. Are u gonna take something out from your car like ICE back seats, spare tyre etc.?

No ice. Stock Sound System. During th run, we took out the spare tyres, inclusive of the accompanying tools

3. How much Front n rear camber?

This I am not very sure. But at Kenny's Alignment, he did a street setup for me. I believe it is about F1.3, R1.0

4. height of your car? Higher the car, the higher the centre of gravity thus cornering speed is lesser.

Using mugen CL7 5 Adjustable suspension. Front lowered by 30mm. Rear lower by 25mm

5. Suspension spring stiffness?

Original Mugen Springs that came with the suspension. I believe it is F5.7, R3.6

6. Tyre width

Running Advan Sport tyres 225/40/18.

7. Anti-roll bar? Hard bushings?

Nothing. All bone stock.

With minimum stripping, that is: rear seats n spare tyre out, stock ICE, using RE070 225x40x18, should be high 2:40s using mugen stock springs. I'm not sure of the tyre Advan sport grip.
Bro if you do not mind, can share with me your setup and timing? If not convenient, can PM me? Thanks.

User avatar
puffer71
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by puffer71 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:06 pm

headless wrote:
puffer71 wrote: Bro, there are lots of unknown info about your car setup:

1. What tyres are you using for track? Street (Best one supposedly RE070, though some reckon Michelin PS2) or semi slicks or full slicks?

Advan Sports Tyres

2. Do u have ICE, or just basic stock ICE? CL7R is extremely heavy. Are u gonna take something out from your car like ICE back seats, spare tyre etc.?

No ice. Stock Sound System. During th run, we took out the spare tyres, inclusive of the accompanying tools

3. How much Front n rear camber?

This I am not very sure. But at Kenny's Alignment, he did a street setup for me. I believe it is about F1.3, R1.0

4. height of your car? Higher the car, the higher the centre of gravity thus cornering speed is lesser.

Using mugen CL7 5 Adjustable suspension. Front lowered by 30mm. Rear lower by 25mm

5. Suspension spring stiffness?

Original Mugen Springs that came with the suspension. I believe it is F5.7, R3.6

6. Tyre width

Running Advan Sport tyres 225/40/18.

7. Anti-roll bar? Hard bushings?

Nothing. All bone stock.

With minimum stripping, that is: rear seats n spare tyre out, stock ICE, using RE070 225x40x18, should be high 2:40s using mugen stock springs. I'm not sure of the tyre Advan sport grip.
Bro if you do not mind, can share with me your setup and timing? If not convenient, can PM me? Thanks.
Bro, with your above setup, a low 2:50s is a good timing. Stock for stock, CTR is a better track car. Easily, CTR can clock 2:40s with RE070 street tyres with stock setup and stock parts. They are some 120kg lighter than CL7R.

Unless u are really hooked on Euro R and track, don't go down the route which I have taken. My car is unbearable to drive on normal street roads. Hard and bumpy as hell! And yet, I still find my suspension, soft for track use. F14:R10 fightex with helper springs.

Unfortunately, we can't have best of both worlds: comfort and good handling.

I recently did a 2:38.4 and as for setup, it varies from driver to driver. Some like it oversteer, some like it understeer. Each driver has their own style of driving, braking, acceleration etc. It gets very technical when u wanna shave off seconds.

Meet up for kopi and we can talk further. My mobile: 90112100.

hangman
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by hangman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 pm

puffer71 wrote:
headless wrote:
puffer71 wrote: Bro, there are lots of unknown info about your car setup:

1. What tyres are you using for track? Street (Best one supposedly RE070, though some reckon Michelin PS2) or semi slicks or full slicks?

Advan Sports Tyres

2. Do u have ICE, or just basic stock ICE? CL7R is extremely heavy. Are u gonna take something out from your car like ICE back seats, spare tyre etc.?

No ice. Stock Sound System. During th run, we took out the spare tyres, inclusive of the accompanying tools

3. How much Front n rear camber?

This I am not very sure. But at Kenny's Alignment, he did a street setup for me. I believe it is about F1.3, R1.0

4. height of your car? Higher the car, the higher the centre of gravity thus cornering speed is lesser.

Using mugen CL7 5 Adjustable suspension. Front lowered by 30mm. Rear lower by 25mm

5. Suspension spring stiffness?

Original Mugen Springs that came with the suspension. I believe it is F5.7, R3.6

6. Tyre width

Running Advan Sport tyres 225/40/18.

7. Anti-roll bar? Hard bushings?

Nothing. All bone stock.

With minimum stripping, that is: rear seats n spare tyre out, stock ICE, using RE070 225x40x18, should be high 2:40s using mugen stock springs. I'm not sure of the tyre Advan sport grip.
Bro if you do not mind, can share with me your setup and timing? If not convenient, can PM me? Thanks.
Bro, with your above setup, a low 2:50s is a good timing. Stock for stock, CTR is a better track car. Easily, CTR can clock 2:40s with RE070 street tyres with stock setup and stock parts. They are some 120kg lighter than CL7R.

Unless u are really hooked on Euro R and track, don't go down the route which I have taken. My car is unbearable to drive on normal street roads. Hard and bumpy as hell! And yet, I still find my suspension, soft for track use. F14:R10 fightex with helper springs.

Unfortunately, we can't have best of both worlds: comfort and good handling.

I recently did a 2:38.4 and as for setup, it varies from driver to driver. Some like it oversteer, some like it understeer. Each driver has their own style of driving, braking, acceleration etc. It gets very technical when u wanna shave off seconds.

Meet up for kopi and we can talk further. My mobile: 90112100.
Bro, You forgot to add the most impt. The Driver weights
EuroR

User avatar
puffer71
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by puffer71 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

hangman wrote:
puffer71 wrote:
Bro, with your above setup, a low 2:50s is a good timing. Stock for stock, CTR is a better track car. Easily, CTR can clock 2:40s with RE070 street tyres with stock setup and stock parts. They are some 120kg lighter than CL7R.

Unless u are really hooked on Euro R and track, don't go down the route which I have taken. My car is unbearable to drive on normal street roads. Hard and bumpy as hell! And yet, I still find my suspension, soft for track use. F14:R10 fightex with helper springs.

Unfortunately, we can't have best of both worlds: comfort and good handling.

I recently did a 2:38.4 and as for setup, it varies from driver to driver. Some like it oversteer, some like it understeer. Each driver has their own style of driving, braking, acceleration etc. It gets very technical when u wanna shave off seconds.

Meet up for kopi and we can talk further. My mobile: 90112100.
Bro, You forgot to add the most impt. The Driver weights
Bro.. ok.. ok.. I'm losing weight lah...

User avatar
hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:02 am

Post by hifi1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Steve

My guess is the best timing shld be around what Ian said abt 2.45. Most will do 2.50 as suggested by bro puffer. The killer diff is Mugen is too soft for track (even at its hardest), camber 1.3 not aggressive enough, tyres not 'slick' enough haha and Weight of car!

Talk to bro HW, hes prob one of the more experience and friendly trackie here.

Cheers
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

User avatar
headless
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Post by headless » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Chia and Bro Puffer! Thanks for your comments. :)

2:38 is indeed a fast timing considering the weight of the car. Your suspension also rock hard! I believe ah bee timing was 2:39. Excellent job Bro puffer!

Thanks for the reference timing! Appreciate it. :)

User avatar
puffer71
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 am

Post by puffer71 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 am

headless wrote:Hi Chia and Bro Puffer! Thanks for your comments. :)

2:38 is indeed a fast timing considering the weight of the car. Your suspension also rock hard! I believe ah bee timing was 2:39. Excellent job Bro puffer!

Thanks for the reference timing! Appreciate it. :)
Bro, No problems. Its good to hear another CL7R interested in tracking.

Ah bee's timing now is 2:34 on his stripped out CTR.

Anyway, catch up for kopi some time.

Cheers
Han

vhorten
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:34 pm

Re: Sepang Lap Timing Query

Post by vhorten » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 am

headless wrote:Hi Bros,

With the following mods:

HKS Exhaust
J's Racing Manifold
Gruppe M Intake
Alcon 4 pot (Original Alcon Pads)
Mugen Suspension
Advan Sport 18 Inch Tyres

What sepang timing is considered fast?

Thanks for all your inputs! :)
2min 52, + - 2 sec

User avatar
wyv9
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:13 pm

Post by wyv9 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

Hi, bro.

I will be interested to know a good timing for a stock CL7R with only few aftermarket stuffs like:

1) HKS exhaust
2) spare tyre remove
3) drop-in K&N filter
4) 215/45 R17 BS RE01R
5) stock suspension, camber, brake

Thanks.

Post Reply