Unanswered topics Active topics

I'm about to buy an EK4 SiR automatic...

Civic model year 1980 - 2000
nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

I'm about to buy an EK4 SiR automatic...

Post by nikolaiski » Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 am

hello all!

I'm almost set on this EK4..

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info ... 22&DL=1001

As you can see it's an automatic...

I have a few questions:

1- Is expertise for internal wiring hard to come by? This car has a sunroof and electrically operated seats - in case they kaput, will replacing them be expensive or are parts/help easily and cheaply available?

2- The car has a black top engine which i assume is the B16A4 with 170 PS?

3- Should I want to convert to a manual transmission, what will the estimated cost be and what gearboxes can fit? Tried doing a search but i've come up short..paiseh..maybe a little help here pls! hehe

From what I've read, it seems that the stock ECU of the auto is compatible (?)

4- err.. don't have..hope to meet up with you guys soon should i succesfully purchase this one :o)

cheerio!

FlameEvil
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by FlameEvil » Sat May 16, 2009 1:38 am

looks very stock! :shock:
ImageImage
2008-2010 Honda Civic ESI
2010-???? Audi A4

nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by nikolaiski » Sat May 16, 2009 1:47 am

i know...... :wink: :wink: :wink: -evil grin-

EK Type-R
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by EK Type-R » Sat May 16, 2009 2:39 am

good choice.. previous owner prob an uncle.. super stock condition no mod at all.. so all the panels & clips shd be in good condition.. but you might want to do a full respray & colour change.. this colour really too uncle :lol:

btw you shd also check the engine & transmission condition before buying.. unless the previous owner has a full servicing record at KM.. drive down to your mechanic for a full checkup including chasis.. or insist that a STA evaluation report be produced at their cost.. :wink:

bimbo0
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by bimbo0 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:43 am

EK Type-R wrote:good choice.. previous owner prob an uncle.. super stock condition no mod at all.. so all the panels & clips shd be in good condition.. but you might want to do a full respray & colour change.. this colour really too uncle :lol:

btw you shd also check the engine & transmission condition before buying.. unless the previous owner has a full servicing record at KM.. drive down to your mechanic for a full checkup including chasis.. or insist that a STA evaluation report be produced at their cost.. :wink:

STA evluation is good but also best is u let your mech check the car if possible first ... my car before i bought was also brought to STA for a check .. :D
fancyTHIS

nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by nikolaiski » Sat May 16, 2009 5:39 am

ahh thanks... i'll definitely bring it down to STA but i'm lacking the contact of a good honda mech :(

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:30 am

EK4A has a B16A5, which is 155ps, detuned supposedly for the autobox.

DeG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by DeG » Sat May 16, 2009 8:28 am

Looks like a good buy to me at that price...
Whatever you need to plonk in afterwards to bring the car up to shape should not cause too much suffering since the depr is so low.
Car doesn't seem to have been abused in its life.
If no evidence of major accident repairs turn up in your STA inspection then you should jump on it.

I'm sure all of us here paid hella lot more for our EK4A..
How hard can it be?

stylomilo
Civic EF/EG/EK Moderator
Civic EF/EG/EK Moderator

Post by stylomilo » Sat May 16, 2009 10:13 am

wow, cheap hor... another 2-3k to convert manual and its only slightly over 30k for a EK4... sounds like a damn good buy!
One should love animals.
They are so tasty.

EK4 (Birdho)
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: I'm about to buy an EK4 SiR automatic...

Post by EK4 (Birdho) » Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 pm

nikolaiski wrote:hello all!

I'm almost set on this EK4..

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info ... 22&DL=1001

As you can see it's an automatic...

I have a few questions:

1- Is expertise for internal wiring hard to come by? This car has a sunroof and electrically operated seats - in case they kaput, will replacing them be expensive or are parts/help easily and cheaply available?

2- The car has a black top engine which i assume is the B16A4 with 170 PS?

3- Should I want to convert to a manual transmission, what will the estimated cost be and what gearboxes can fit? Tried doing a search but i've come up short..paiseh..maybe a little help here pls! hehe

From what I've read, it seems that the stock ECU of the auto is compatible (?)

4- err.. don't have..hope to meet up with you guys soon should i succesfully purchase this one :o)

cheerio!
1) no comment.
2) you will not get 170bhp for a EK4 auto, if this is a stick engine
you are getting only 155bhp, on wheell , it iwll be much lower.
only the manuel EK4 is doing stock at 170bhp.

3) not able to help u on the convert form auto to manuel, but the EUC need to change, and not just a plug and play, a lot of small details need to be done which will cost a bomb, a better suggestion is get a manuel on the market, pay slightly more, and you will hv almost everything in order.

just my own view as i use to own a EK4A

EK4 (Birdho)
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by EK4 (Birdho) » Sat May 16, 2009 12:15 pm

stylomilo wrote:wow, cheap hor... another 2-3k to convert manual and its only slightly over 30k for a EK4... sounds like a damn good buy!
maybe the price gone down, do you have the workshop name that can help on the convert and charge only 2 to 3 k>?

DIRT22
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by DIRT22 » Sat May 16, 2009 12:31 pm

EK4 (Birdho) wrote:
stylomilo wrote:wow, cheap hor... another 2-3k to convert manual and its only slightly over 30k for a EK4... sounds like a damn good buy!
maybe the price gone down, do you have the workshop name that can help on the convert and charge only 2 to 3 k>?
Gil!!

Nong time no see!!! :lol:

3K+ sing actually can do, just that you would be skipping a few steps and not getting a proper honest-to-god properly done conversion....if you're not particular about things, in a pinch still can make it work, but mostly with junkyard stock parts albiet reconditioned (if at all).....

In a pinch, the EK4A ECU can be re-used, if no alternative is available, as can the dash with the PRND4D321 display....take out the auto-trans module/s, punch out the firewall holes and the trans tunnel holes, cover (weld) back the resultant leftover holes, source a set of shifter and shifter linkages, pedal linkages, the requisite clutch and slave assemblies including pumps, of course the gearbox (hopefully comes with clutch and flywheel) and other smaller parts..... There's alot of labour involved, may not be everyone's cup of tea....

Given the traffic condition nowadays, it might be a smarter move to leave it automatic! :wink: The EK4A ain't no slouch too ya know..... :twisted:
ImageImage

nikolaiski
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by nikolaiski » Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Hello DIRT22!

Is that your EK at Sepang? I might've taken a few pictures of your car if you've attended SGtrackies' track days or time attacks in the past where there's only ONE black EK4 running around..if i'm not wrong that is...heh

I guess the idea of an engine that revs to 7000+ rpm that is an automatic is just a little wierd to me, especially if it's a honda..you know ..itchy backside n all..heh

but in the end I might just keep the car running as it is until I come around to buying a whole Bxx block (haven't thought of it yet...) but I guess that'll be in the last thing after all the other chassis upgrades in the future..IF i even get around to doing those..no point doing a slapdash job for a very capable-running car :o)

As a moot point...does Hayden or some other brand make auto-tranny coolers for the EK4A? I would want to be investing in those as I've ruined my old car's auto-box before by hard-lining it without the proper cooling..heh

EK4 (Birdho)
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by EK4 (Birdho) » Sun May 17, 2009 12:09 am

DIRT22 wrote:
EK4 (Birdho) wrote:
Gil!!

Nong time no see!!! :lol:

3K+ sing actually can do, just that you would be skipping a few steps and not getting a proper honest-to-god properly done conversion....if you're not particular about things, in a pinch still can make it work, but mostly with junkyard stock parts albiet reconditioned (if at all).....

In a pinch, the EK4A ECU can be re-used, if no alternative is available, as can the dash with the PRND4D321 display....take out the auto-trans module/s, punch out the firewall holes and the trans tunnel holes, cover (weld) back the resultant leftover holes, source a set of shifter and shifter linkages, pedal linkages, the requisite clutch and slave assemblies including pumps, of course the gearbox (hopefully comes with clutch and flywheel) and other smaller parts..... There's alot of labour involved, may not be everyone's cup of tea....

Given the traffic condition nowadays, it might be a smarter move to leave it automatic! :wink: The EK4A ain't no slouch too ya know..... :twisted:
hi joe
really been a long time sice we catch up,
when this thread came by, i was thinking,
where is joe, he is the best person that can advise on all the details.
a friend did that and guess wat, his gearbox fell off when he was driviing along pie. all in all, it took him close to 3 months to get all settled, as some parts not avialble and need to import from japan etc..
i think the work shop plays a part in this case, but soem work shop just want to earn mony only.
anything Boleh.. i
anyway, hope to be able to attend meet up and catch up with you soon.

DeG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by DeG » Sun May 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Some potent auto-blasters here.
B20VTEC Auto can be very very nice to drive... :wink:
How hard can it be?