Unanswered topics Active topics

How is HCH battery after more than 2 yrs?

Honda's Hybrid technology, including the Civic Hybrid (FD3) and the Insight (ZE2)
Lionking
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by Lionking » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Anyone still holding on to HCH since more than 2 yrs ago and how is the battery? Any replacement done?
神也是人ã€

UncleO
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by UncleO » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm

You mean HCH2 right?

Mine 2years 7months, bo tai ji
Looking for 'S' or 'E' series old number plates.

turtle72
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by turtle72 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:01 am

KM fleet of rental HCH1, 5yrs bo tai ji and their batt & IMA is the older one.

HCH2 in singapore so far i think most people driven 2yrs+ bo tai ji.
My one only 1 year so no comment.

Mach
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Re: How is HCH battery after more than 2 yrs?

Post by Mach » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:16 pm

self-deleted
Last edited by Mach on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

se@n
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by se@n » Tue May 05, 2009 6:12 pm

My HCH1 is 4 years, 1 month and still running. No issues with the battery. It is supposedly warrantied for 8 years. Would be really concerned if there are problems with a 2 year old HCH.

cscs3
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by cscs3 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:41 am

se@n wrote:My HCH1 is 4 years, 1 month and still running. No issues with the battery. It is supposedly warrantied for 8 years. Would be really concerned if there are problems with a 2 year old HCH.
Was told car warranty for 3 years with battery covers for 1st year only.
Could you still get full charge powr after 4 years? or mostly run on Fuel power now?

I think KM fleet of rental HCH1 already discountinued due to high maintenance cost.

Mach
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

1st gen

Post by Mach » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:11 pm

cscs3 wrote:
se@n wrote:My HCH1 is 4 years, 1 month and still running. No issues with the battery. It is supposedly warrantied for 8 years. Would be really concerned if there are problems with a 2 year old HCH.
Could you still get full charge powr after 4 years? or mostly run on Fuel power now?

I think KM fleet of rental HCH1 already discountinued due to high maintenance cost.
A no. of 1 gen (ES series) Civic Hybrid were sold in open market after Honda ended its Diracc services last year. Saw a few on the rd and 1 at my office carpark leh. (Power of Dream)

pottybear
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by pottybear » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:54 pm

cscs3 wrote:

the ima battery is covered for at least 3 years. the 12v battery warranty for 1 year only. :)

Silver
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by Silver » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:46 pm

pottybear wrote:
cscs3 wrote:

the ima battery is covered for at least 3 years. the 12v battery warranty for 1 year only. :)
Yup... and 1st change for IMA batt after warranty is at a subsidised rate of $1.5K.... :) :)

There's always a better 2molo...........

Mach
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

what?

Post by Mach » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Silver wrote:
pottybear wrote:
cscs3 wrote: Was told car warranty for 3 years with battery covers for 1st year only.

Yup... and 1st change for IMA batt after warranty is at a subsidised rate of $1.5K.... :) :)
The reason why we buy hybrid is to save $ in the long run in terms of petrol...if the battery goes kaput and we have to fork out $1.5k to replace...it would negate all savings...may as well drive a Euro R / Type R. :?

se@n
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by se@n » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 am

cscs3 wrote:

OK. Noted on the battery warranty. Thanks.

Battery still gets fully charged. Electric motor runs fine. No issue.

ManualOnly
4000rpm
4000rpm

Re: what?

Post by ManualOnly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Mach wrote:The reason why we buy hybrid is to save $ in the long run in terms of petrol...if the battery goes kaput and we have to fork out $1.5k to replace...it would negate all savings...may as well drive a Euro R / Type R. :?

Hybrids have established itself as one of the most reliable vehicle for over 10 years and battery issue is the least concern based on latest report.

So no thanks for those toys"R" us. :lol:

hotnyh
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by hotnyh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am

Long long time never post in this forum cos the fd forum is more lively...

Have posted this in the fd forum but wanted to report here also that my HCH2 which is now 2 y 9m old has been checked by Kah Motors and they have agreed to change my IMA battery under warranty.

Most likely problem is degradation of the IMA battery cells.

I have been experiencing very frequent regeneration mode. Initially this only happened at traffic lights but now can also occur while I am driving. I had resorted to driving without a/c (jialat I tell u)... Battery charge bar can drop from 3/4 full to zero in 30 seconds while I am on the move. Very frustrated cos whenever the car goes into regen mode, it is very sluggish. Even pulling out of junctions is scary cos dunno whether fast enough to get out of the way on oncoming traffic.

If KM had not agreed to change the battery I was considering selling the car off for a Jazz. But since they have ordered the new battery, I am waiting to see how the car perfoms with it. Hopefully I can keep driving the car for another 2-3 years.

To all would be hybrid owners- better make sure that your dealer (esp PI) is willing to do this for you. The 3 year battery warranty we get in S'pore is too short! It's 8 years in the USA. I am pleased that KM is willing to help out. They told me they have changed other HCH batteries before- mainly for owners who leave their cars sitting unused for long periods. The manual says not to do this as the IMA battery will get damaged. Insight owners - better check if your PI is willing to change the IMA battery if it degrades. Personally I would get a Prius next time cos there is a 5 yr warranty on the whole car... or I'd get a Jazz/ City if I wanted to stay with Honda. The Honda hybrid warranty is a bit risky I think... I wonder if they would have agreed to change the battery if I had brought the car to them after it turned 3.

I was told (when I bought the car) that KM would subsidise the cost of a new battery- it would cost $1400 for the 1st change... but something like $4k for the 2nd one. Is the PI willing to do this? At $1.4K can still justify paying for a new battery... it just wipes out your petrol savings for a year. My main complaint was the car was so gutless to drive with the battery flat... and it happened so often.

se@n
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by se@n » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks for posting. Good to know.

I missed the 3 years boat liao. My battery is still OK [fingers crossed] but as our batteries do contstantly get discharged and recharged, so I do not expect it to last forever.

m5m3
1000rpm
1000rpm

long periods

Post by m5m3 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Read ur post in FD forum also.

Just wondering how long is 'long periods'?

For your case, how long was your car left unused ?

I usually go for a week (or slightly longer) holiday and my FD3 will not be used during this period. hope this will not cause the IMA to deteriorate.

So far, the forced regen has lragely been due to high temperature ie hot day or stuffy and hot carparks (like Tampines Mall - I usually get into forced regen after i leave the carpark).

Other than that, just the usual regen at traffic elights and not too frequent (once in a week or 2)
hotnyh wrote:Long long time never post in this forum cos the fd forum is more lively...

Have posted this in the fd forum but wanted to report here also that my HCH2 which is now 2 y 9m old has been checked by Kah Motors and they have agreed to change my IMA battery under warranty.

Most likely problem is degradation of the IMA battery cells.

I have been experiencing very frequent regeneration mode. Initially this only happened at traffic lights but now can also occur while I am driving. I had resorted to driving without a/c (jialat I tell u)... Battery charge bar can drop from 3/4 full to zero in 30 seconds while I am on the move. Very frustrated cos whenever the car goes into regen mode, it is very sluggish. Even pulling out of junctions is scary cos dunno whether fast enough to get out of the way on oncoming traffic.

If KM had not agreed to change the battery I was considering selling the car off for a Jazz. But since they have ordered the new battery, I am waiting to see how the car perfoms with it. Hopefully I can keep driving the car for another 2-3 years.

To all would be hybrid owners- better make sure that your dealer (esp PI) is willing to do this for you. The 3 year battery warranty we get in S'pore is too short! It's 8 years in the USA. I am pleased that KM is willing to help out. They told me they have changed other HCH batteries before- mainly for owners who leave their cars sitting unused for long periods. The manual says not to do this as the IMA battery will get damaged. Insight owners - better check if your PI is willing to change the IMA battery if it degrades. Personally I would get a Prius next time cos there is a 5 yr warranty on the whole car... or I'd get a Jazz/ City if I wanted to stay with Honda. The Honda hybrid warranty is a bit risky I think... I wonder if they would have agreed to change the battery if I had brought the car to them after it turned 3.

I was told (when I bought the car) that KM would subsidise the cost of a new battery- it would cost $1400 for the 1st change... but something like $4k for the 2nd one. Is the PI willing to do this? At $1.4K can still justify paying for a new battery... it just wipes out your petrol savings for a year. My main complaint was the car was so gutless to drive with the battery flat... and it happened so often.