Unanswered topics Active topics

Sam the Koala - Victim of Melbourne Fire

For discussion on jokes, anecdotes, inspiring stories, news or anything under the sky
EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Sam the Koala - Victim of Melbourne Fire

Post by EKen4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Taken off Straits Times, 12th Feb 2009.

One of the victims of the Melbourne fire, which is partly set off by arsonists.
I thought this is quite a touching photo, so just share with fellow forum members who have not seen it.

ivant9029
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Re: Sam the Koala - Victim of Melbourne Fire

Post by ivant9029 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 am

EKen4 wrote:Taken off Straits Times, 12th Feb 2009.

One of the victims of the Melbourne fire, which is partly set off by arsonists.
I thought this is quite a touching photo, so just share with fellow forum members who have not seen it.

:( :( :cry:

pluto
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by pluto » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 pm

very touching.... :cry:

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Koala love story wins hearts after deadly fires
Reuters - Thursday, February 12
By Belinda Goldsmith

CANBERRA - A love story between two badly burned koalas rescued from Australia's deadliest bushfires has provided some heart-warming relief after days of devastation and the loss of over 180 lives.

The story of Sam and her new boyfriend Bob emerged after volunteer firefighter Dave Tree used a mobile phone to film the rescue of the bewildered female found cowering in a burned out forest at Mirboo North, 150 km southeast of Melbourne.

Photos and a video of Tree, 44, approaching Sam while talking gently to her, and feeding her water from a plastic bottle as she put her burned claw in his cold, wet hand quickly hit video sharing website YouTube , making her an Internet sensation.

But it was after reaching a wildlife shelter that Sam met and befriended Bob, who was saved by wildlife workers on Friday, two days before Sam, in Boolarra, about 180 km from Melbourne.

Tree, who has been a volunteer firefighter for 26 years, said it was extremely rare to get so close to a koala so he asked his colleague Brayden Groen, 20, to film him.

"You can how she stops and moves forward and looks at me. It was like a look saying "I can't run, I'm weak and sore, put me out of my misery,"" Tree told Reuters.

"I yelled out for some water and I sat down with her and tipped the water up. It was in my hand and she reached for the bottle then put her right claw into my left hand which was cold so it must have given her some pain relief and she just left it there. It was just amazing."

INSPIRING LOVE STORY

Sam was taken to the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter in Rawson. Her story was reminiscent of a koala named Lucky who survived the 2003 bushfires that destroyed about 500 homes and killed four people in the capital of Canberra. Lucky became a symbol of hope.

Colleen Wood from the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter that is caring for Sam and Bob said both koalas were doing well while other animals like possums, kangaroos, and wallabies were also starting to emerge from the debris.

She said Sam had suffered second degree burns to her paws and would take seven to eight months to recover while Bob had three burned paws with third degree burns and should be well enough to return to the bush in about four months.

"They keep putting their arms around each other and giving each other hugs. They really have made friends and it is quite beautiful to see after all this. It's been horrific," said Wood.

"Sam is probably aged between two to four going by her teeth and Bob is about four so they have a muchness with each other."

Wood said about 20 koalas had been brought into her shelter in recent days, several of whom had bonded as koalas are known to clump together, but none had garnered the same attention as the new Internet star Sam.

Tree, a volunteer with the Country Fire Authority Victoria, has visited Sam since her rescue and was delighted to see she had found a boyfriend in Bob.

"They've really taken a shine to each other as they are both burned and share the same burned smell," he said.

"My heart goes out to the people in these fires and this was so innocent so people have used this to distract them from all the sad stuff that has gone on. It gives people a bit of hope."

Donations for bushfire support can be made to the Country Fire Authority Victoria via their website at http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supportingcfa.htm.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20090212/ ... 29486.html

ivant9029
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Post by ivant9029 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:19 am

EKen4 wrote:Koala love story wins hearts after deadly fires
Reuters - Thursday, February 12
By Belinda Goldsmith

CANBERRA - A love story between two badly burned koalas rescued from Australia's deadliest bushfires has provided some heart-warming relief after days of devastation and the loss of over 180 lives.

The story of Sam and her new boyfriend Bob emerged after volunteer firefighter Dave Tree used a mobile phone to film the rescue of the bewildered female found cowering in a burned out forest at Mirboo North, 150 km southeast of Melbourne.

Photos and a video of Tree, 44, approaching Sam while talking gently to her, and feeding her water from a plastic bottle as she put her burned claw in his cold, wet hand quickly hit video sharing website YouTube , making her an Internet sensation.

But it was after reaching a wildlife shelter that Sam met and befriended Bob, who was saved by wildlife workers on Friday, two days before Sam, in Boolarra, about 180 km from Melbourne.

Tree, who has been a volunteer firefighter for 26 years, said it was extremely rare to get so close to a koala so he asked his colleague Brayden Groen, 20, to film him.

"You can how she stops and moves forward and looks at me. It was like a look saying "I can't run, I'm weak and sore, put me out of my misery,"" Tree told Reuters.

"I yelled out for some water and I sat down with her and tipped the water up. It was in my hand and she reached for the bottle then put her right claw into my left hand which was cold so it must have given her some pain relief and she just left it there. It was just amazing."

INSPIRING LOVE STORY

Sam was taken to the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter in Rawson. Her story was reminiscent of a koala named Lucky who survived the 2003 bushfires that destroyed about 500 homes and killed four people in the capital of Canberra. Lucky became a symbol of hope.

Colleen Wood from the Southern Ash Wildlife Shelter that is caring for Sam and Bob said both koalas were doing well while other animals like possums, kangaroos, and wallabies were also starting to emerge from the debris.

She said Sam had suffered second degree burns to her paws and would take seven to eight months to recover while Bob had three burned paws with third degree burns and should be well enough to return to the bush in about four months.

"They keep putting their arms around each other and giving each other hugs. They really have made friends and it is quite beautiful to see after all this. It's been horrific," said Wood.

"Sam is probably aged between two to four going by her teeth and Bob is about four so they have a muchness with each other."

Wood said about 20 koalas had been brought into her shelter in recent days, several of whom had bonded as koalas are known to clump together, but none had garnered the same attention as the new Internet star Sam.

Tree, a volunteer with the Country Fire Authority Victoria, has visited Sam since her rescue and was delighted to see she had found a boyfriend in Bob.

"They've really taken a shine to each other as they are both burned and share the same burned smell," he said.

"My heart goes out to the people in these fires and this was so innocent so people have used this to distract them from all the sad stuff that has gone on. It gives people a bit of hope."

Donations for bushfire support can be made to the Country Fire Authority Victoria via their website at http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supportingcfa.htm.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20090212/ ... 29486.html
Let us play our parts...keep the fires down in our region!! 8)

shilin_87
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by shilin_87 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:25 pm

that is really so touching!!! i'm just so glad that there're firefighters out there to save these poor animals, n of course humans as well! kudos to those brave firefighters!

ivant9029
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Post by ivant9029 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:38 pm

shilin_87 wrote:that is really so touching!!! i'm just so glad that there're firefighters out there to save these poor animals, n of course humans as well! kudos to those brave firefighters!
got cry a little bit....????????? :lol: 8)

kentkent
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by kentkent » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:31 pm

thanks for the post~ miss out alot on the news!
Never Ask What Your Country Can Do For You. Ask What You Can Give To Your Country

dennislee
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by dennislee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Anyway Sam is world famous now :D :D :D
Image Image Image