JDM Civic Type R poison list

New Civic model year 2006 onwards
Phasehonda
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Phasehonda » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Ah Rer wrote:
Phase:
Yeah, the stuff I post is fyi only, i read everything wif salt in hand too....
Looks like you are well knowledged and equipped to trace the problem. Hope you can find it soon. Your run-in oil change schedule same as mine..keke..I dunno where to get that 5w30 mineral oil tho.
Just some friendly advice, esp to pple not as equipped as you, that problems like this should be brought up to the dealer/ importer ASAP. Not only is it bad for the engine but it may cause unnecessary disputes, esp if you are gonna mod.
Yeah, I appreciate that. The reason why i highlighted this issue is to get as many feedbacks as possible from all FD2R owners. Try turning off the radio, around 30km/h to 4th gear then accelerate at 1/3 throttle see if you spot that soft clicking, ticking, metallic sound from the front. It will go away once you step more or release the throttle. However it needs a pair of season ears to spot in immediately as its not as loud as those Datsun 120Y or 3rd world countries motorcars.

About knock sensor, they are too slow in preventing knock. Its not called a Knock sensor for nothing. It needs to detect knock like 1-2secs before the ECU will react to it. So in another words you will still hear knocks for sure. As the knock goes away, the ECU will gradually increase back the timing to baseline, when it knocks again, the cycle will be activated again.

I did asked my master mechanic once and he said even the Civic Si got this "characteristic" and its normal. :(

Ah Rer
5000rpm
5000rpm
Location: Still counting my USD at the bank...8500 pieces per minute!!

Post by Ah Rer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Phasehonda wrote: Yeah, I appreciate that. The reason why i highlighted this issue is to get as many feedbacks as possible from all FD2R owners. Try turning off the radio, around 30km/h to 4th gear then accelerate at 1/3 throttle see if you spot that soft clicking, ticking, metallic sound from the front.
Why not start a new thread on it??? Otherwise, FD2R owners not interested in the poison list won't get to know.
I was thinking about the pinging on my way back yesterday night, so with the stereo off and in the quiet night, i tried to listen for any. 2 to 4 gears, 2 to 3000rpm, little throttle, half throttle, full throttle...nothing. Switched off aircon, tried again, same thing. It did help me realise one thing tho. I seldom drive my car in this rpm range. Don't you think it is a bit stressful for the engine (upshifting so early) considering if you shift at 4500rpm I think won't drop below 3k and redline is 8500rpm??

Mileage:'bout 1500km
Fuel:switch between Shell 98 and Shell V-power

Add to Phase's msg: Those not familiar with sound of knocking, try tapping an empty soft drink can. That is the sound you should listen for. It is not loud, but it is definitely audible, especially if your ears can pick up plastic rattling in your car.

hyspeed
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by hyspeed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Ah Rer wrote: Why not start a new thread on it??? Otherwise, FD2R owners not interested in the poison list won't get to know.

Add to Phase's msg: Those not familiar with sound of knocking, try tapping an empty soft drink can. That is the sound you should listen for. It is not loud, but it is definitely audible, especially if your ears can pick up plastic rattling in your car.
got type-r owners not interested in poison list meh...good idea.

on 2nd thought, the k20 is also very noisy one. even idle sound like something loose inside, how to hear for pinging without some equipment or trained ear.

5zigen
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by 5zigen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 pm

duno wat pinging toking u guys. i use SG & MYSIA fuel like no diff leh i oso dun use fuel additives just drive only.

hellokittyES
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by hellokittyES » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:59 am

not everyone know wat pinging, knocking is... unless u experienced it before by rising our compression.

Some ctr owners even pump95 and say his car dun ping... Then i ask him u know wat pinging sound's like? he dun know... faint...

heard from subaru forum 2L JDM auto rex also hav this prob.

I'll try to listen then post my feedback tml.

Hope mine dun ping. :wink:

To mi veri simple; prolong Pinging = gasket will give way in time to come.

toda_k20
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by toda_k20 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:19 am

Ah Rer wrote:
Phasehonda wrote: Yeah, I appreciate that. The reason why i highlighted this issue is to get as many feedbacks as possible from all FD2R owners. Try turning off the radio, around 30km/h to 4th gear then accelerate at 1/3 throttle see if you spot that soft clicking, ticking, metallic sound from the front.
Why not start a new thread on it??? Otherwise, FD2R owners not interested in the poison list won't get to know.
I was thinking about the pinging on my way back yesterday night, so with the stereo off and in the quiet night, i tried to listen for any. 2 to 4 gears, 2 to 3000rpm, little throttle, half throttle, full throttle...nothing. Switched off aircon, tried again, same thing. It did help me realise one thing tho. I seldom drive my car in this rpm range. Don't you think it is a bit stressful for the engine (upshifting so early) considering if you shift at 4500rpm I think won't drop below 3k and redline is 8500rpm??

Ok... What frequency is this knocking ? Let me try to hear again.

Phasehonda
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Phasehonda » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 pm

toda_k20 wrote:
Ah Rer wrote:

Ok... What frequency is this knocking ? Let me try to hear again.
Lets meet this Sunday lah.

j-sho
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by j-sho » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:35 pm

how abt the description of stones falling onto metal tray? that shd be closer to what pinging in the engine is about yah? i jus stating experience as it happened to my b series engine before.
Last time never study...now i sell newspaper lor...

hyspeed
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by hyspeed » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:12 pm

j-sho wrote:how abt the description of stones falling onto metal tray? that shd be closer to what pinging in the engine is about yah? i jus stating experience as it happened to my b series engine before.
you mean more like grains of sand or rice...but thats pretty good. i think it sound very close already.

dare2kill
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by dare2kill » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 pm

hi im new here, does anyone know who the dealer/importer "KC" is? Thanks? Its the importer shipping the mugen exhaust.

eiji
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by eiji » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:09 pm

dare2kill wrote:hi im new here, does anyone know who the dealer/importer "KC" is? Thanks? Its the importer shipping the mugen exhaust.
King Crimson, alternative there are other workshops like Maximus Racing that also bring in Mugen Exos.

hellokittyES
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by hellokittyES » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:48 pm

hi anyone still service at authorized workshops..?

I went their at 1k... wanted minerial oil till next 5k servicing. end up i think they give mi 5-40 dun know wat brand syn oil...

i am quite upset with this...
dun know wanna drain out n change to minerial oil again... waste $ waste time...

thinkin of not to go bk to them again... sian dun like the feeling of cannot even choose wat oil to pour into my OWN engine... :evil:

any ''careful'' workshop with ''good knowledge n parts'' of CTR to recommend?

I know mani ppl go MR but its too far for mi...

eiji
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by eiji » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:10 am

Don't have the time to keep maintaining the list, i will just link them to the correct posts, since Dean is always poisoning us :twisted:

Cusco
http://www.shc-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=112313

FEEL's
http://www.shc-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=105213

MUGEN
- http://www.mugen-power.com/street/CIVIC ... index.html

M&M

http://www.shc-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=110163

[url=http://www.mandm-honda.com/pdf/fd2_civic_ca.pdf]新型CIVIC/FD2 NEWパーツ開発中ï¼

eiji
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by eiji » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:16 am

can a mod/admin help me clean up this topic, think beneficial if its kept just strictly to poison discussion, helps newbies sieve thru info faster.

hyspeed
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by hyspeed » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 pm

eiji wrote:can a mod/admin help me clean up this topic, think beneficial if its kept just strictly to poison discussion, helps newbies sieve thru info faster.
wow...you are a hardworking guy and i like you. i nominate you to be mod/admin...

ok who else wants to nominate eiji?