Unanswered topics Active topics

Still maintaining the Honda Stream

orangehonda
2000rpm
2000rpm

Still maintaining the Honda Stream

Post by orangehonda » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:48 am

I am still fixing stuff on the Stream... 10 years on.

A list of components is listed here

http://honda18.blogspot.com/

Hiimkeith

Re: Still maintaining the Honda Stream

Post by Hiimkeith » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Orange Honda,
Its nice to see a fellow driver on stream. I went through your blog and was amaze by how much diy repairs you did. I drive a 2010 stream rsz as well, got it recently last year. Generally it is a very fun car to drive, but they are some imperfections here and there that has troubled me for a while now. :think: It would be great if we could arrange a meetup so that that i can learn some tips on maintaining the stream from you. :o

Keith

fir3blad3r

Post by fir3blad3r » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:36 am

Hi Guys,

I am new to SHC though I have being driving my RSZ for the past coming to 11 years. Had renewed 10 yrs COE last dec. Mileage currently at 489800km. Wonder still have any stream kakis since SSOG seems like a dead forum liao. Cheers!

StreamZRSZ
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by StreamZRSZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pm

fir3blad3r wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new to SHC though I have being driving my RSZ for the past coming to 11 years. Had renewed 10 yrs COE last dec. Mileage currently at 489800km. Wonder still have any stream kakis since SSOG seems like a dead forum liao. Cheers!

SSOG forum already died completely liao. The link will transfer you to dunno some funny links. Now more popular is facebook group.

StreamZRSZ
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by StreamZRSZ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Hiimkeith wrote:Hi Orange Honda,
Its nice to see a fellow driver on stream. I went through your blog and was amaze by how much diy repairs you did. I drive a 2010 stream rsz as well, got it recently last year. Generally it is a very fun car to drive, but they are some imperfections here and there that has troubled me for a while now. :think: It would be great if we could arrange a meetup so that that i can learn some tips on maintaining the stream from you. :o

Keith

stream very easy to maintain one. wanna know tips can PM me also. glad to help if required.

MugenStream
Idling
Idling

Post by MugenStream » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi, care to share some tips on FC.Mine FC quite bad 8 to 9l/km. Changed ignition coil and DIY replacement of 02 sensor(upstream and downstream).Added additive also no improvements.Looking to replace fuel injection for the next steps.Just renew coe for 10yrs and overall engine ok just that the low FC bothering me.

orangehonda
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by orangehonda » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:20 pm

I am more comfortable to do stuff at snail pace over meet ups. And i do make mistakes. So i better not transfer that mistake in diy advice to protect us.

Yes the stream’s engine compartment is quite spacious vs the civic.

My fuel consumption dropped quite a bit also to 9 km/l. However changing out new ignition coils, cleaning the MAF sensor and replacing both oxygen sensor and air fuel sensors, i am able to get make improvements from 9 to 10 and now 11. My average tank gives me about 500 km and sometimes a little more. This improved FC took a few months.

Here is a list of what was done

Spark plugs
Ignition coil
Fuel pump complete with strainer and pressure regulator
Engine mounts
Sway bar bushing
Serpentine belt
Alternator
Belt tensioner
Water pump
Thermostat
EGR valve
Oxygen sensor
Air Fuel sensor
All Engine compartment Relays
PCV valve
Radiator and cap - by workshop
Radiator hoses
Miscellaneous EPDM hoses
Radiator fluid drain and fill
Brake hoses
Bleeder valves and rubber cap
Brake fluid drain and fill
Radiator fan motor
Compressor fan motor
Front and rear shock absorber
Steering rack recondition - by workshop
Driveshaft boot replacement - by workshop
Rear wheel bearing

KIV
Front wheel bearing
Valve lash adjustment
Rear bushings
Front brake disc and pads

linkinmadman

Post by linkinmadman » Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 am

Hi all.

So happy to hear there are still Stream owners with more than 10 years of usage.

I seek everyone's opinion on my current issue on my 11-year-old Stream. I'm having random cylinder misfires (Codes P300, P301, P302, P303 and P304). I understand that those codes ending with 1, 2, 3 and 4 corresponds to each individual cylinders. I read up that misfires are usually caused by either electrical issues for sparking (coil, plugs or both), fuel-related problems (pump, regulator, injector) or breathability (air intakes and exhaust, MAP, MAF, EGR, PCV, EGR). My car is in stock condition, no modifications made. The current mileage is about 325,000 km.

In the beginning, the code will surface during drives, especially when I did a hard acceleration then released of accelerator. It was torturous driving at North-South Highway with all 6 of us in the car and having the engine light blinking and feeling the misfiring engine every 5 minutes of driving at speeds of 120km/h. However, the misfire would not happen at that time if I drove at 110km/h and below, and was gentle with accelerating.

The error codes will also surface if I'm on stationary, on parked or neutral gear, and I hold the accelerator to a steady rpm reading of 2000 rpm, 2500 rpm, 3000 rpm or 3500 rpm.

I've been troubleshooting it for the past few months, and have changed the following:
1) all 4 ignition coils
2) Denso Iridium plugs IK20L
3) all 4 injectors
4) MAP and MAF sensors
5) camshaft and crankshaft sensors
6) EGR valve
7) 2nd hand catalytic converters (though there was no clear signs of honeycomb melting after so many misfires, I wanted to play safe and get it replaced anyway.)
8) Air-fuel sensor (wide-band O2 sensor, before CAT)
9) 2nd hand Lambda sensor, very hard to find brand new one (O2 sensor after CAT)
10) fuel pump
11) both coolant engine temperature sensors (one near thermostat, one at bottom of radiator)
12) thermostat
13) knock sensor (after my mechanic and I found out my spark advance at idle was always negative during idle. It got back to normal at above 0 degrees after replacing it)

I'm still waiting for my fuel regulator to arrive. At the moment, all symptoms have gone except when I hold the accelerators at stationary. Because of this issue, I'm also unable to make the car relearn the idle after reset.

My short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT) has been negative at idle and driving. At idle, it can reach a low of about -7%. At driving, it can go at about -3.1%. I've also read up that ideally such readings should reach 0%, and we should be concerned if the fuel trim reaches either above +10% or below -10%.

I hope that my car will be back to normal after the fuel regulator is replaced.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading such a long post. :)

1sthonda
Idling
Idling

Post by 1sthonda » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 pm

Does Orange Honda/StreamZRSZ or anyone knows what parts change is needed to solve this slow leakage which could potentially become big leakage? didn't observe any filter or axle leak. Auto transmission fluid still within an acceptable range after 2 weeks of driving.

This is a 2008 Honda stream 1.8 with R18A1 engine. Hope to hear from the experienced drivers here.

Picture of leak: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4zqjijpdvw0j ... k.jpg?dl=0

linkinmadman

Post by linkinmadman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 am

I had a head gasket leak which resulted in a similar oil pattern like yours. Colour of oil matches engine oil. Usually transmission fluid is reddish pink in colour. My leak started after i had a radiator leak which caused my engine temperature to hit high and warped the head engine block. I eventually had to get the head block skimmed and head gasket replaced.

Ask your mechanic to check all engine gaskets, especially head gasket. Hope this helps.

1sthonda
Idling
Idling

Post by 1sthonda » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:33 am

thanks linkinmadman!!!

any pictures of example of head gasket leak? i took some photos of the top engine which can be found here. seemed to be dry to me but I may be wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t1nj69tn7yya ... t.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ovpjal8x86bl ... t.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmgzykojsqr65 ... g.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x19l5uqm4uhy6 ... r.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzfio9eqzl9ox ... 1.jpg?dl=0

linkinmadman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 am
I had a head gasket leak which resulted in a similar oil pattern like yours. Colour of oil matches engine oil. Usually transmission fluid is reddish pink in colour. My leak started after i had a radiator leak which caused my engine temperature to hit high and warped the head engine block. I eventually had to get the head block skimmed and head gasket replaced.

Ask your mechanic to check all engine gaskets, especially head gasket. Hope this helps.

linkinmadman

Post by linkinmadman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 am

From your shared pictures, everything looks good except for the last 2 pictures. I noticed some liquid spray pattern on the black intake manifold.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures on my engine when it leaked.

Any drop in oil from engine oil dipstick or transmission oil dipstick?

1sthonda
Idling
Idling

Post by 1sthonda » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:48 pm

I have been checking every 2 days. So far not much drop for both.

linkinmadman wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 am
From your shared pictures, everything looks good except for the last 2 pictures. I noticed some liquid spray pattern on the black intake manifold.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures on my engine when it leaked.

Any drop in oil from engine oil dipstick or transmission oil dipstick?

linkinmadman

Post by linkinmadman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:21 am

Good to hear. Still, it’s best to check with a mechanic.

Hopefully your problem gets solved. 😊

1sthonda
Idling
Idling

Post by 1sthonda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:23 pm

Yes it has been solved. Some seals in the engine and transmission were changed.

linkinmadman wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:21 am
Good to hear. Still, it’s best to check with a mechanic.

Hopefully your problem gets solved. 😊