Steering - Loud Whining Sound

Civic model year 2000 -2005
garfcheng
2000rpm
2000rpm

Steering - Loud Whining Sound

Post by garfcheng » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Hi all ES owners,

Just to share an experience on a recent problem with my steering and the solution to it.

Whenever I turn, I would hear a loud whining sound and feel that the steering a little bit heavy. The sound is exceptionally loud if I perform a U-turn or when I full-lock my steering wheel. At first, I thought the power steering pump kaput and thus would cost me a bomb to replace/repair. But after reading up a bit and then consulting my regular mechanic, we did a trial and error to replace the power steering reservoir. Immediately after the replacement, the whining sound is gone or maybe too faint to be audible. The steering feel is also back to normal. What my mechanic told me is that the power steering reservoir has a filter below, which may have clogged as the car aged.

Damage for the new power steering reservoir, labour for replacement and topping-up of power steering fluid is $85. May be cheaper if you get the reservoir direct from the stockist..

I'll be observing for a few more days and hear if the whining sound is really gone.

Just for sharing and hope this info is helpful... Cheers..

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks for the sharing. it is really a good observation.

do update us on your continued observation.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

diversify_diversify
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by diversify_diversify » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Congratulation....

Vacuum
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Vacuum » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 am

Just to share my experience on this "Whining Sound". Had the same problem too.

Next time you hear this sound, check the Oil level at the Power Steering Reservoir. There are 2 lines (Max and Min) on the Reservoir. If Oil level is lower than Min, it means you need to top up. Not enough Power Steering Fluid means air is being "sucked" in. The air bubble in the power steering pump is causing this "Whining" sound. Make sure oil level is higher than MIN to prevent air going in.

Somewhere is leaking in my Power Steering line. Pump, hose, Power steering rack etc? But the leak is just too small for me to replace any of them. I just top up the Reservoir whenever I hear the sound. I keep a 1l bottle of PSF (power steering fluid - about S$8 if I remember correctly) in my trunk. Roughly every 1 month, I will need to top up. I can still bear with this condition.

Hope this helps.

nutty
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by nutty » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 am

Bro.... can share what kind of power steering fluid did u buy?

Not sure abt the specz that fit ES5

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:50 pm

ANY power steering fluid can be used.

In urgent cases, even Automatic Transmission Fluid can be used. Read the label on Shell ATF it clearly states can be used as Power Steering Fluid.

Personally I had used it before as 'urgent' need and cannot find 'Power steering fluid' -- I was on Cameron Highlands - reached the peak and then it happened - power steering fluid reservoir BELOW the minimum mark - loss of power steering when turning... after topping up with ATF, it was alright. and NO issues.

came home did a full flush. so I know you can use it as an emergency measure. haha.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:15 am

MCDS is correct.

Brake Fluid, Transmission Fluid and Power Steering Fluid are all Hydraulic Fluid, same same, repackaging is to generate more $$$. :lol:

Hydraulic oils are incompressable, only manual transmission oil can be use.
SEX is one of the nine reasons for re-incarnation, the RESTis not important.