Unanswered topics Active topics

Stock 4G i-DSI City engine knock

The second home of www.cityzen.sg
swish013

Stock 4G i-DSI City engine knock

Post by swish013 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:42 am

Dear City-owners,

My sister's 2nd hand 4G City has been diagnosed with engine knock. Not sure what the previous owner did to it, but it looked stock enough when bought. She did not modify it too.

Given that City is running on timing chain, lack of maintenance is not the cause of the knock.

May I ask if anybody has the same experience? Any affordable solution to it?

Car is drinking Shell 95 petrol. Just tried a bottle of STP Octane Booster on a whole tank of Shell 95 petrol and that didn't help the situation.

Sharing of experience appreciated. Thank you.

swish013

Post by swish013 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Understand from Wikipedia that i-DSI is a twin-spark, lean burn ‘i-DSI’ technology, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_City
Is this the reason that engine knock occurs on my sister's car?

Input of masters here much appreciated.

isvtec
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by isvtec » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi there, from your post seems like is a pre-owned car your sister got, although city is running on chain, but this does not mean one can skip servicing or do it at extended interval. looks from outside does not really tell the conditions of the engine itself, and causes of engine 'knock' does not limit to octane RON level, but also spark plugs / is there any damage to the engine valves, pistons, walls due to extended service intervals (if indeed that's the case) or could wrong type of engine oil used.

imo, you may wish to go back to agent if from kah motor, otherwise go to the work shop you frequent for diagnostics.

good luck !