Unanswered topics Active topics

Headlight bulb and No Cranking

Civic model year 2000 -2005
ChowHousehold
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Headlight bulb and No Cranking

Post by ChowHousehold » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 pm

It's so funny. I changed my bulbs to Philips not too many months ago at Stamford, and my right bulb blew....damn....is Philips' bulbs really that bad or is it just me.

AND today, I couldn't crank my car for a good 15 tries over 10 min as I was about to go home. I could see all the normal indicators lighting up, but just no sound when I cranked. 10 min later, and after 15 tries, it decided to work again....is this the workings of the solenoid?
"Don't bother blasting your horns at Road Hogs! Just BLAST your speakers and FLOOR your Accelerator!"

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:08 pm

get a water pipe and hit your starter moter a few times to dislodge the dust in there... and if you can get your car on a hoist, can also do a air blast cleaning...

should be ok. unless you sprung a 'short' somewhere draining your power.

one last thing - battery if old, and not able to hold 85% charge overnight or over a few minutes.. sometimes this happens... time to get a new battery...

you still on ICE right? may need to get someone to look at it if never touch for long time... wires can get ... funny... and drain power like crazy even if not 'on'.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

ChowHousehold
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ChowHousehold » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks MCDS,

I should have tried that before I dropped by Lion City to change a new starter solenoid (or starter motor) for $200. Actually, I changed it once in 2012 near lok yang for $300 +, and that was a re-con one..... Apparently, that didn't last. Mine must be a lemon since I had occasional cranking issue since I first bought my ride in Dec 2005. Any bros had the same issue?

My battery is new. Just changed it on the Fri before CNY at Dynasty. Hope my ICE is not draining my batt faster than my alternator can recharge it.
"Don't bother blasting your horns at Road Hogs! Just BLAST your speakers and FLOOR your Accelerator!"

Tomminator
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Tomminator » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Hey Bro Chow, haben c u for long long time leh... when can come down for meetup leh???
:lol:

ChowHousehold
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ChowHousehold » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Tomminator,

It has been a really really long time. I remembered that you were the most gentlemanly gentleman in the group back then, and you had the most stock ES5. Has any of that changed? How have you been? Are you still driving the ES5?

Yeah, I would like to come out for meet-up whenever I can, and I really miss those days at the drinking spot near the ex-Queenstown prison.

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:41 am

haha

Queens TownClub closed a few years ago.....

our new regular places to meet are at pasir panjang road (Hakim's Restaurant or a few shops down Fong Seng Nasi Lemak (branch))

or the clementi road (near the NUS hostels) Fong Seng nasi lemak shop and Creamz ice cream shop.

or simpang bedok Tang's Tea House...

or the car park/coffee shop of Blk 332 AMK Ave 1/3 behind the Esso Station. incidentally, this place also meetup for ICE group... so you can listen and audit championship standard stuff here too if you ask...

if you have whatsapp, let me know by messaging me... put you in the app chat group... or you already in there? then you will know where for the Friday night meet.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:05 am

Brighter the bulb, shorter the lifespan

ChowHousehold
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ChowHousehold » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:39 pm

joelwong wrote:Brighter the bulb, shorter the lifespan
Wah....if any of my bulbs blow again....I'll ask for normal bulb.....Prefer reliability in the long run...