Unanswered topics Active topics

Go-Kart Sessions/Information/Discussions

Home Of The S2000 Owners
Spunkett
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Spunkett » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 am

Anybody got a used rib-cage protector for sale? Join some friends for a rental kart session and feel like i got beaten up.
And the only relief is the frivolous burning of fossil fuels, plundered from the loins of mother earth, expended at the whim of a callous right foot

terch
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by terch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 am

got one, you can give me a call to get them!
Stock 2007 AP2
Polestared XC90. better fuel economy!
Stock 2009 SSS M16A Manual

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:16 am

suzukii wrote:hey shaun,

Its keith here. Hope you remember me. Just chanced on this thread. I was racing in the rotax max championship last year. Bought a Tony Kart EVR, but have since sold it. I'm still keen on karting so next time you guys hit the track let me know!

keith
Woops haven't been checking this forum much, hence the delay, but sure I remember you man. I'm sure Ben will be happy to sell you a new updated EVR hahah. Then you should join the local championship in 2011!

Have you driven Kartright track yet? It's great despite being small. Normalized for stint duration in a race kart, it's the most challenging outdoor track I've driven (out of 7), for various reasons.

Too much random rain of late... will call when weather clears up a bit. Show you our fully equipped war wagon :D

===

Spunkett, my friends and I are selling our Tillett rib guards - R4 (one in small that will fit you for sure, one in medium) as well as a large Ribtec. The R4s are in good condition, and the Ribtec is virtually new, used only once.

The Tillett guards are great absolutely nothing wrong with them at all, just that we're upgrading to BHSTs that are supposed to be even better, just pricier

===

Terch... you're not giving up karting are you? :o I'm trying to get Kao IN.

===

While here...

7 racecars arranged in order of steering sensitivity (steering angle vs lat G across a lap). 6 of them range from 100K - 2 mil per vehicle in cost. 1 is a supercar, 1 a GT racecar, the remainder all formula racecars of varying cost and complexity. Only the F1 car beats an average racekart (18K) in steering sensitivity. In other factors like jerk, yaw rate under control, duration between peak accelerations in opposite vectors, etc. only 1 type of car can match, and only some of the time. The vast majority of the time (~80%) they perform under that because the course does not demand it of the car. All other cars outside of this can't even touch it, regardless of course, because of physical inability to generate required forces and moments. Guess which is which in the chart...

Not surprising so many top tier drivers, including F1 drivers, stay sharp in karts in the off season. Nothing beats the intensity, cost, that these things run.

Don't pick on the different layouts and best fits please cos each of the 4 software packages has a different layout and its own limitations. Scaling was done while making the composite. The total scale is 50 degrees SWA by 3G. 0 for both is in the middle of each square. F if offset because it's off an oval.. superspeedway high bank
KART OR DIE

Pdreams
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by Pdreams » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Here goes,

A - Supercar
B - Formula
C - Higher Formula
D - GT
E - Kart
F - Indy
G - F1
ShaunSG wrote: While here...

7 racecars arranged in order of steering sensitivity (steering angle vs lat G across a lap). 6 of them range from 100K - 2 mil per vehicle in cost. 1 is a supercar, 1 a GT racecar, the remainder all formula racecars of varying cost and complexity. Only the F1 car beats an average racekart (18K) in steering sensitivity. In other factors like jerk, yaw rate under control, duration between peak accelerations in opposite vectors, etc. only 1 type of car can match, and only some of the time. The vast majority of the time (~80%) they perform under that because the course does not demand it of the car. All other cars outside of this can't even touch it, regardless of course, because of physical inability to generate required forces and moments. Guess which is which in the chart...

Not surprising so many top tier drivers, including F1 drivers, stay sharp in karts in the off season. Nothing beats the intensity, cost, that these things run.

Don't pick on the different layouts and best fits please cos each of the 4 software packages has a different layout and its own limitations. Scaling was done while making the composite. The total scale is 50 degrees SWA by 3G. 0 for both is in the middle of each square. F if offset because it's off an oval.. superspeedway high bank

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 am

Pdreams wrote:Here goes,

A - Supercar
B - Formula
C - Higher Formula
D - GT
E - Kart
F - Indy
G - F1
When are you going to try out a race kart? You're about my size, you can take one of my karts these days. You're a good driver so it should be interesting!

A - Supercar (course speed focusing on proportion and degree of sweepers on a scale of 1 - 100 with 100 being the fastest and most sweeping - is 80 in this case)
B - GT car (60)
C - FV6 (65)
D - LMP (identical to IRL road course config) (70)
E - Race kart (25)
F - IRL superspeedway config (100)
G - F1 medium-high speed road course (75)

F isn't a fair comparison because of the high average speed range, along with vertical inertia load that artificially raises the sensitivity and still it is nearly identical to a kart on a tight slow course that's uncharacteristic of most kart courses internationally. A race kart on a bigger more sweeping course would yield considerably higher average sensitivity. Would be interesting to compare it to F1 then.

Isolating turns would also show up the extremes of each car type, instead of the more muted average (still a good picture of average sensitivity across a lap). In isolation, F1 at 130R would probably be king beast by far
KART OR DIE

Pdreams
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by Pdreams » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 pm

ShaunSG wrote:
Pdreams wrote:Here goes,

A - Supercar
B - Formula
C - Higher Formula
D - GT
E - Kart
F - Indy
G - F1
A - Supercar (course speed focusing on proportion and degree of sweepers on a scale of 1 - 100 with 100 being the fastest and most sweeping - is 80 in this case)
B - GT car (60)
C - FV6 (65)
D - LMP (identical to IRL road course config) (70)
E - Race kart (25)
F - IRL superspeedway config (100)
G - F1 medium-high speed road course (75)
Had to guess between B) and D). Was thinking D) was the GT car as the scale had pretty much peak its lat. G compared to the others. But the slope would be right for what you revealed. Having said that, what's the max. lat G for each of these vehicles? Interesting plots actually.

Did you mean to try out one of your karts? I would have to turn down this nice gesture if only because I cannot afford to damage any of them. I am sure they are alot of fun though.

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Pdreams wrote: Had to guess between B) and D). Was thinking D) was the GT car as the scale had pretty much peak its lat. G compared to the others. But the slope would be right for what you revealed.
The peaks of the best fit curve are only an average and the course characteristics influence it heavily, as does the steering geometry and aero. Closer to ideal is to compare turns of identical driven radii only. It just takes more time to do it. Most time consuming, but ideal, is to have all the cars run the same course in the same session and compare specific turns only.

Still, the comparison as it is, shows up strong tendencies. Karts despite lacking any downforce at all, and running on such a tight track, still forms an impressively steep steering sensitivity gradient.
Having said that, what's the max. lat G for each of these vehicles? Interesting plots actually.
Peak sustained (non-spike), range for course and spec variables...

Supercar: 1.1 - 1.4 G
GT car: 1.6 to 2.0 G
FV6: 2.3 - 3.0 G
LMP or IRL road course: 2.3 - 4.0 G
sprint kart: 2.2 - 3.0 G
F1: 2.5 - 5.8 G
I would have to turn down this nice gesture if only because I cannot afford to damage any of them.
Nonsense... the cheapest of the karts (yet one that delivers literally 99% of the performance of the newest ones) can burn down completely for total loss, and it would be no more than a set of decent coilovers. Skipping a single MME race can fund a whole season (5 rounds) in 1 championship, with at least 3 regional championships to pick from, including new and good hardware.

It's obviously not a question of cost.

Also take a 100-300K road registerd car, spend another 10-30K a year tracking it at SIC, do that for 10 years.... and compare that final 200-600K loss to what's been learned, at what intensity, vs what quality of competitor. It just can't compare. Any replacement of major components or any major accident is throwing away more money by the thousands, often tens of thousands. Worse still for totalling, assuming the owner doesn't want to commit insurance fraud and make a false claim.
Last edited by ShaunSG on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KART OR DIE

Pdreams
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by Pdreams » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 pm

ShaunSG wrote:
Pdreams wrote:
I would have to turn down this nice gesture if only because I cannot afford to damage any of them.
Nonsense... the cheapest of the karts (yet one that delivers literally 99% of the performance of the newest ones) can burn down completely for total loss, and it would be no more than a set of decent coilovers. Skipping a single MME race can fund a whole season (5 rounds) in 1 championship, with at least 3 regional championships to pick from, including new and good hardware.

It's obviously not a question of cost.

Also take a 100-300K road registerd car, spend another 10-30K a year tracking it at SIC, do that for 10 years.... and compare that final 200-600K loss to what's been learned, at what intensity, vs what quality of competitor. It just can't compare. Any replacement of major components or any major accident is throwing away more money by the thousands, often tens of thousands. Worse still for totalling, assuming the owner doesn't want to commit insurance fraud and make a false claim.
Hi Shaun,

Actually I do mean it. Naturally, your breakdown is quite accurate but given how the road registered car is a daily drive and tracking is more a bonus to have for me.

Definitely for someone who spends more on the roadcar to go tracking and looking for the same kind of intensity, karting would be an efficient model for the reasons you mentioned. Although, I do enjoy driving around in a decent set of coilover, if only to appreciate how different the cars have become as a daily drive.

:)

ShaunSG
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by ShaunSG » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Pdreams wrote:Hi Shaun,

Actually I do mean it.
don't like that lah...are you telling me that the only way you'll drive it is if i tell you "please go ahead and run some laps in it.. free of charge. Any and all damage incurred i will take care of" ?
Definitely for someone who spends more on the roadcar to go tracking and looking for the same kind of intensity, karting would be an efficient model for the reasons you mentioned. Although, I do enjoy driving around in a decent set of coilover, if only to appreciate how different the cars have become as a daily drive.

:)
heaha you like senna right? schumacher? not curious to experience 1/5 of what they did/do, instead of 1/10 ? it's our only chance man.. short of a few hundred k to mil dollar formula based or prototype based racecars :D
KART OR DIE

Maximillian

Post by Maximillian » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:51 am

Thought I should post given the karters here.

I'm currently selling a Rotaxmax/Biesse go-kart for $4.5k

More info can be found in this thread.

Thank you.

cityboy
Idling
Idling

Post by cityboy » Thu May 03, 2012 5:43 pm

There will be an iFAST Singapore Corporate Karting Challenge held at Kartright Speedway this year. This is the second year of the corporate karting challenge.

You can read more about it here
CNA - http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 58/1/.html

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/iFAST-Sin ... 0883482822

Official website - www.singaporecorporatekartingchallenge.com