Airwave Jerking resolved - Ignition Coil & Spark Gap

Home Of The AirwaveRs
jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Airwave Jerking resolved - Ignition Coil & Spark Gap

Post by jengwe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi to all,

below attached is my reply to a Airwave owner after I worked on it with the above mentioned problem.

Hi Sam

Really happy that your problem has been resolved and you are enjoying your car once again. This seems to be a case of rough idle and pickup due to ignition problems.

To all those reading this, don't straight away think gearbox but slowly work up the cost cum complexicity chain. Think Air Filter, PCV, A/C gas, Sparks, Ignition Coil, IAC valve, EGR valve in that order. Gear box is quite far down if CVT-F has been changed regularly around every 20-30k. I have also check that although HMMF is labelled at my tranny dipstick, I have been using Honda CVT-F since 30k.

Anyway, just to add further, Honda recommends that the Spark Plug gap be set from 1.0-1.1mm. Check that gap every 20k.

PCV valve change every 40k, also check condition of rubber grommet. A sure tell-tale sign of a vacuum leak from this location is the build up of grime around the otherwise yellow colour original PCV valve (P/N 17130-PWA-003), but a similar PCV valve from Honda is also applicable.

Sam's vehicle had to also change his A/C condenser fan and also low in A/C gas.

Both fans should come on at the same time, if not, the fan is gone. Check the A/C sight glass, when the A/C is on, it should look like clear water flowing through, if you spot bubbles, A/C gas is low.

As for the iginition coil, remove all 4 to check condition of the rubber insert, original is red in colour while some may be blue. The rubber inserts on all 4 should be evenly discoloured with some white spots (the white spots are due to oxides from the spring contact). If any of the iginition coils show a colour difference and brownish stains, there is a problem with that particular spark plug. In Sam's case, the spark plug was loose and hot gas was slowly burning the ignition coil. This will cause premature failure of the coil.

I also found that Sam's Denso iridium sparks, IK20L had enlarged gaps due to the erosion of the iridium tip. It was over 1.3mm wide. Although Iridium, the tip will gradually wear and the gaps have to be adjusted. I personally have used 1 set of plugs to 200k on my previous Mazda Protege by constantly gapping at every 20k intervals.

The spark plug gap is simply adjusted by tapping the bent electrode on a hard surface gently and measuring using my1.1mm spectacles screw driver as a "Go" gauge.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed myself doing the repairs and imparting the DIY skills to Sam and seeing the satisfaction beaming all over his face when his "jerking " problem was resolved.

Sam was confident enough later to change out his spoilt A/C fan motor all by himself.

Cheers and Hi-5

Looking forward to another Airwave clinic during weekends. My HP : 96808264

Just remember that Ang Bros closes by 1530hrs on Sat and we need to place orders latest by 11am if parts need to be changed.

I am not an Ang Bros salesman (so please don't get me wrong), but he has been the nicest stockist in my area to me, who takes the trouble to get me the parts quickly and passes me the parts manual readily upon request.

bigjay

Re: Airwave Jerking resolved - Ignition Coil & Spark Gap

Post by bigjay » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 am

jengwe wrote:Hi to all,

below attached is my reply to a Airwave owner after I worked on it with the above mentioned problem.

Hi Sam

Really happy that your problem has been resolved and you are enjoying your car once again. This seems to be a case of rough idle and pickup due to ignition problems.

To all those reading this, don't straight away think gearbox but slowly work up the cost cum complexicity chain. Think Air Filter, PCV, A/C gas, Sparks, Ignition Coil, IAC valve, EGR valve in that order. Gear box is quite far down if CVT-F has been changed regularly around every 20-30k. I have also check that although HMMF is labelled at my tranny dipstick, I have been using Honda CVT-F since 30k.

Anyway, just to add further, Honda recommends that the Spark Plug gap be set from 1.0-1.1mm. Check that gap every 20k.

PCV valve change every 40k, also check condition of rubber grommet. A sure tell-tale sign of a vacuum leak from this location is the build up of grime around the otherwise yellow colour original PCV valve (P/N 17130-PWA-003), but a similar PCV valve from Honda is also applicable.

Sam's vehicle had to also change his A/C condenser fan and also low in A/C gas.

Both fans should come on at the same time, if not, the fan is gone. Check the A/C sight glass, when the A/C is on, it should look like clear water flowing through, if you spot bubbles, A/C gas is low.

As for the iginition coil, remove all 4 to check condition of the rubber insert, original is red in colour while some may be blue. The rubber inserts on all 4 should be evenly discoloured with some white spots (the white spots are due to oxides from the spring contact). If any of the iginition coils show a colour difference and brownish stains, there is a problem with that particular spark plug. In Sam's case, the spark plug was loose and hot gas was slowly burning the ignition coil. This will cause premature failure of the coil.

I also found that Sam's Denso iridium sparks, IK20L had enlarged gaps due to the erosion of the iridium tip. It was over 1.3mm wide. Although Iridium, the tip will gradually wear and the gaps have to be adjusted. I personally have used 1 set of plugs to 200k on my previous Mazda Protege by constantly gapping at every 20k intervals.

The spark plug gap is simply adjusted by tapping the bent electrode on a hard surface gently and measuring using my1.1mm spectacles screw driver as a "Go" gauge.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed myself doing the repairs and imparting the DIY skills to Sam and seeing the satisfaction beaming all over his face when his "jerking " problem was resolved.

Sam was confident enough later to change out his spoilt A/C fan motor all by himself.

Cheers and Hi-5

Looking forward to another Airwave clinic during weekends. My HP : 96808264

Just remember that Ang Bros closes by 1530hrs on Sat and we need to place orders latest by 11am if parts need to be changed.

I am not an Ang Bros salesman (so please don't get me wrong), but he has been the nicest stockist in my area to me, who takes the trouble to get me the parts quickly and passes me the parts manual readily upon request.
Hi bro, hope you can help me.
My 2nd hand 08'(milage 70+K) AW have a problem of High FC.
Did my servicing at Man Garage straight after I collected my ride last month.
Changed all oil and filter. My idealing is ok, my start, go and stop is fine too. Monitored 4 round of 30L top up and found FC only reach 10km/L. Man suspected it might be the fuel filter fault.
Much appriciated if you or any AW Senior can help and give some tip.
Many Thanks.

auhouhz
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by auhouhz » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Jengwe,

I cant wait to feel the same beaming of sam to have my jerking problem resolve.. Shall we have a clinic this weekend? I can provide the necessary tools. In case you lost my number, its 8112 6475

Hi bigjay,

High FC can be caused by alot of factor. Usually how much rpm do you rev to when you move off from stop. What kind of route do you take everyday, city route will have a much higher FC than expressway. Are your tires sufficiently inflated? I realized this affect FC alot.

The FC indicator on our ride is not very accurate, usually it reflects a better FC. I usually get 14.5km/l to 15.5km/l on the indicator but only 13++km/l actual. (Liters pump divided by mileage). I always pump Shell Ron97 in Malaysia to the brim so its quite accurate. When my fuel gauge needle hit the half tank point I can travel around 300km.

My best FC was 16km/l. I feel reving to 1900rpm and maintain till 70kph when moving off from stop is sufficient to not hold up traffic and keep FC low. After 70kph i will rev to 2300rpm or more to get up to cursing speed. My cruising speed on expressway is around 100-110kph depending on traffic however, the most efficient cruising speed is at 80kph at 2000rpm. That will give you the best FC.

As for aircon, I only on it when I start to perspire in the car. Hardly on it at night unless I go to dark places and "ahem". Usual aircon setting will be Fan 1, Temp at 10o'clock position. If there's passenger behind then I will set fan at 2. Do you always wait for people with engine and aircon on? That can eat up quite a bit of fuel. I always off engine when waiting for people.

Do you always ferry many passenger or abuse your boot space and hoard alot of things? Additional weight means more FC. I had taken out my spare tire as I find that it attract cockroaches. Found alot of cockroach eggs on the spare tire.

As for tire pressure I like to over inflate by a bit to 240kpa. I'm running on 205/50/16. I feel like changing to 15" rims and 195 tire to bring down my FC. Anyone wanna swap?

Maybe you can try my style of driving and see if you get a similiar FC.

Hope this helps :D

bigjay

Post by bigjay » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 pm

auhouhz wrote:Hi Jengwe,

I cant wait to feel the same beaming of sam to have my jerking problem resolve.. Shall we have a clinic this weekend? I can provide the necessary tools. In case you lost my number, its 8112 6475

Hi bigjay,

High FC can be caused by alot of factor. Usually how much rpm do you rev to when you move off from stop. What kind of route do you take everyday, city route will have a much higher FC than expressway. Are your tires sufficiently inflated? I realized this affect FC alot.

The FC indicator on our ride is not very accurate, usually it reflects a better FC. I usually get 14.5km/l to 15.5km/l on the indicator but only 13++km/l actual. (Liters pump divided by mileage). I always pump Shell Ron97 in Malaysia to the brim so its quite accurate. When my fuel gauge needle hit the half tank point I can travel around 300km.

My best FC was 16km/l. I feel reving to 1900rpm and maintain till 70kph when moving off from stop is sufficient to not hold up traffic and keep FC low. After 70kph i will rev to 2300rpm or more to get up to cursing speed. My cruising speed on expressway is around 100-110kph depending on traffic however, the most efficient cruising speed is at 80kph at 2000rpm. That will give you the best FC.

As for aircon, I only on it when I start to perspire in the car. Hardly on it at night unless I go to dark places and "ahem". Usual aircon setting will be Fan 1, Temp at 10o'clock position. If there's passenger behind then I will set fan at 2. Do you always wait for people with engine and aircon on? That can eat up quite a bit of fuel. I always off engine when waiting for people.

Do you always ferry many passenger or abuse your boot space and hoard alot of things? Additional weight means more FC. I had taken out my spare tire as I find that it attract cockroaches. Found alot of cockroach eggs on the spare tire.

As for tire pressure I like to over inflate by a bit to 240kpa. I'm running on 205/50/16. I feel like changing to 15" rims and 195 tire to bring down my FC. Anyone wanna swap?

Maybe you can try my style of driving and see if you get a similiar FC.

Hope this helps :D
Hi auhouhz,
Actually my ride and my drive pattant is almost similar with u. Even have the same tires size.
My AW is store except tires. Top up full tank the 1st time. Once it reaches the last 3rd bar, I"ll topup only 30L of fuel, reset my trip milage and again 30L once it reaches the 3rd bar again. That's how I monitor my mileage. But every topup can travel only 290-300Km.
I'm a very light footer driver. i don't rev over 1500 during take off and don't almost don't rev over 2200rpm (Which around 90-100kmh except overtaking, still below 2500rpm). My route is mostly 65/35 Highway/normal and usually 80% on my own 20% with my wife. Lagi worse I'll try to reach home earlier just to park at the lower floor to prevent reving up the slopes of my MSCP.
My main concern of owning a AW is the FC and space. I use to drive a Nissan Latio Sport Premium(13-14km/l). Due to review, AW's space and fc is better(14-18km/l), which I badly needed it. So I made a switch and give up my auto headlight, keyless start, OD drive, foglight and go for a 08' AW.
Pls let me know(Jay96259620) if you r arranging a meetup with Jengwe this Sat, I wld like to meet up too to seek for more advise from you guys in person. Thanks.

jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by jengwe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Bro

I work at Jln Boon Lay and every week travel around 500km, so I pump once a week. I average abt 12.5-13km/L considering the morning jam and such.

A more accurate way is to let the pump nozzle click off and use that as the constant.

Or you can do the short cut way which is to top up at a petrol station near an E'way and travel around E'way for around 20km at the dead of night. So you go and choose which E'way to use. My AW can do abt 16-18km/L in this kind of situation.

If the values are horrid, Maybe Fuel Filter which is only SGD40+, try fuel injector cleaner. I just hope its not a failed injector cos that is abt SGD100 each.

Could it also be a failed ignition coil causing 1 cylinder to be dead? But if that happens, you have to be really insensitive because there will be a pulsating feeling when you step on the accelerator.

Is your air filter clean?

The list goes on.....Maybe you call me.

most68

Car Problem Jerking been solved by Nice Man - Chia Jeng We

Post by most68 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Bro Chia,

Recently my car is encountering jerking problem, which I drive and feel on the road.

After much servicing and I was told to change the gear box oil twice. However, problem still remain unsolved. This week is the worst.

Luckily I read up your write up in the website : Shc-forum. Beside that you able to give me a lot of advice on the maintenance of my car. I'm glad to know you able to fix up my problem.

The reserach that you have done up is very detailed and helpfull in solving the jerking problem and giving me good advice to resolve other things also.

After you fix up the problem, my car back to normal driving.

To all honda airwave owner, Chia Jeng We is a relaible person advisor.

I really feel appreciated and glad to know you.

Michael Ong

PR Honda

Post by PR Honda » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi jengwe,

Nice talking to u earlier & look forward to meet u on tues (21/2) @ 8pm over
448a bright hill drive 😊

jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by jengwe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi,

Due to family event, I am unable to meet on Tues, 21st Feb.

Maybe another day.

Keanotobek
Idling
Idling

Post by Keanotobek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Me having e same problem s well..Really needs ur expert help..Any meetup soon??

nitro_heat97
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by nitro_heat97 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Please update if there's meetup to troubleshoot issues.