Unanswered topics Active topics

Improving the sound system on your CL7

Home Of The Accordians
Gunfighter
5000rpm
5000rpm

Improving the sound system on your CL7

Post by Gunfighter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm

I have driven the car for almost 2 years now. Great drive. At first, I was thinking of changing to Mazda 6 but decide to keep it. Don't think the Mazda's engine is as fun as the K20 even though the specs are a lot better. Then again, I am comparing against a model which is a few years older.

Since I have decide to keep it, I thought of enhancing the sound system.

I think many of us would agree that the bugbear of this good car is the sound system. radio, speakers etc.

When I took over the car, the sound quality from the PI installed sound system was bad. Single CD and very bad speakers.

I changed the speakers both front and back to much better ones. The sound quality did improve but i feel it is still not there yet.

Can any other owners out there share what you did to improve the sound system? I am not keen on those China DVD GPS system though.

I have seen some owners sacrificing the CD compartment to customize a head unit. Can those that have done it advise if its worth it? How much was yours? and I assume you had a CD changer put in the back too? Any improvement in the sound performance?

By the way, i am not the extreme ICE type to spend $10K on a sound system for a car. Any practical suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

By the way, we should plan a year end meet up eh?!

TSN
Idling
Idling

Post by TSN » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Try DS Auto at WCEGA Plaza Bukit batik Crescent.

Call Ah Bing 66840993.. Very friendly guy...good patience...

Gymrat76
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Gymrat76 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 am

I changed to a double DIN DVD player that is able to accept iPhone/iPod connection, added a 4.1 amp (mounted onto the back-seat in the boot) and a under-seat subwoofer. Can also incorporate a reverse camera since the 2-DIN DVD player can play video (makes parallel parking a LOT easier).

Nowadays, my music is all in my iPhone, so no need for a 10-disc changer too 8)

Makes the drive so much more pleasant

Yaloryalor
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Yaloryalor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 pm

For me,

Front is 2 ways component speakers (pillar tweeters), Pioneer DVD (no CD changer cos can use thumb drive to store many songs), Pioneer processor, a 4 channnels amp, a 12" sub and rear are 6x9 speakers. Got digital TV tuner.

Front 2 doors are 2 layers sound proof.

Total is about $3k plus. Wont say very good but enough for me.

Gymrat76
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Gymrat76 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 am

Yaloryalor wrote:For me,

Front is 2 ways component speakers (pillar tweeters), Pioneer DVD (no CD changer cos can use thumb drive to store many songs), Pioneer processor, a 4 channnels amp, a 12" sub and rear are 6x9 speakers. Got digital TV tuner.

Nice... I was considering doing SP on my doors, then decided not to bother cos the engine and exhaust so loud on my car its pointless :lol:

scratchyz
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Re: Improving the sound system on your CL7

Post by scratchyz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 am

Gunfighter wrote:I have driven the car for almost 2 years now. Great drive. At first, I was thinking of changing to Mazda 6 but decide to keep it. Don't think the Mazda's engine is as fun as the K20 even though the specs are a lot better. Then again, I am comparing against a model which is a few years older.

Since I have decide to keep it, I thought of enhancing the sound system.

I think many of us would agree that the bugbear of this good car is the sound system. radio, speakers etc.

When I took over the car, the sound quality from the PI installed sound system was bad. Single CD and very bad speakers.

I changed the speakers both front and back to much better ones. The sound quality did improve but i feel it is still not there yet.

Can any other owners out there share what you did to improve the sound system? I am not keen on those China DVD GPS system though.

I have seen some owners sacrificing the CD compartment to customize a head unit. Can those that have done it advise if its worth it? How much was yours? and I assume you had a CD changer put in the back too? Any improvement in the sound performance?

By the way, i am not the extreme ICE type to spend $10K on a sound system for a car. Any practical suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers!

By the way, we should plan a year end meet up eh?!
think if you are still using stock HU then the sound will not be much better...u need to get a HU and amps for better sound...

am using a alpine HU and 2 amps to drive the front components and sub in the boot...much better but can still be improved...cant rem how much i spend as some stuff i brought over from previous car..

MrMurderman
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Post by MrMurderman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 am

Rem to add a processor if u wan to enhance the sound quality. :D
殺很大!ï¼

BlackKnight_CM5
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by BlackKnight_CM5 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 am

I am on processor but need a good tuner to do the job.

However, if U don't want the trouble of getting a tuner and take hours, days to tune, you can go for a "purist" system. A good HU and amp like Mlcantosh (wrong spelling) and a good 2 way speaker will do the job.

Normally a good HU will set u back for $1K+ (and I am not talking about those DVD types), amp another $1K - $2K and speakers...again $1K - 2.5K.

Total damage : $3K - $6K dependent on brands :lol:

viper76
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by viper76 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:25 pm

hmm got a decent below 2k system can do the trick...wat kinda of sound system depends on hw deep is ur pocket...

Yaloryalor
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Yaloryalor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 am

Gymrat76 wrote:
Yaloryalor wrote:For me,

Nice... I was considering doing SP on my doors, then decided not to bother cos the engine and exhaust so loud on my car its pointless :lol:
If you like to stay in your car to listen to music (esp at night) then I think a good system is imp.

Yaloryalor
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Yaloryalor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

MrMurderman wrote:Rem to add a processor if u wan to enhance the sound quality. :D
I got processor does the time alignment but recently I usually switch to watch TV so pointless for me. haha..

But of cos when listen to those songs with good vocal then really make a big diff!

Rcar
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by Rcar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Yaloryalor wrote:
MrMurderman wrote:Rem to add a processor if u wan to enhance the sound quality. :D
I got processor does the time alignment but recently I usually switch to watch TV so pointless for me. haha..

But of cos when listen to those songs with good vocal then really make a big diff!
Bro, can sit in your ride and test your sound system ?

MrMurderman
10 000rpm Over Rev
10 000rpm Over Rev

Post by MrMurderman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Yaloryalor wrote:

Add a center speaker for the surround sound feel. :p
殺很大!ï¼

Yaloryalor
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Yaloryalor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:10 pm

MrMurderman wrote:
Yaloryalor wrote:

Add a center speaker for the surround sound feel. :p
If watch movie then its good to have the centre speaker. I not so hardcore.

Average ok liao.

Yaloryalor
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Yaloryalor » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Rcar wrote:
Yaloryalor wrote:

Bro, can sit in your ride and test your sound system ?
Mine not up to standard. :oops: