Unanswered topics Active topics

Need advice

stks

Need advice

Post by stks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi I am a new user. Have been driving Honda Integra for 6 years. Am very satisfied with the car. Used to send to Kah Motor for maitenance but found it very expensive now adays. Am now looking for cheaper and reliable maintenance package (next servicing is 140,000km). Have called a few auto shops but all are using their own house brand for Motor Oil. As I have left over closed to 4 Ltr of Shell syntectic oil, I am wondering whether can I mixed the oil but I know alot of the shops there wouldn't want to do that for me. So what should I do?

level z
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by level z » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 pm

some workshop do provide only labour, meaning you can bring your own oil. If you can find a liter container of the same oil, then you shold be able to finish using the leftover you have.
But most workshop "technically" charge less relatively if you use their oil rather than just labour only ...

PS : I dont advice you to mix the diff brand of engine oil.
Last edited by level z on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stks

Post by stks » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for your advice. But if I go to the workshop that provide their "own" brand oil, is it okay? as I am using Shell since I owned the car.

level z
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by level z » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:23 am

stks wrote:Thanks for your advice. But if I go to the workshop that provide their "own" brand oil, is it okay? as I am using Shell since I owned the car.
So long you get the viscosity right (first digit is about cold weather start, note the second digit, for a 5 year old car i recommend at least 40w), you be ok ... make sure the engine oil provided is synthetic if you do more than 5 000 km oil change interval. Lastly also note the brand they use (not to deviate too much from main stream brand) ... Hope this helps. :D