Unanswered topics Active topics

DC5 Gearbox problem

kcheong

DC5 Gearbox problem

Post by kcheong » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I just bought a 2005 Integra AT about 3 weeks ago. A few days after I got the car I noticed transmission at 4th to 5th sluggish. It happened in both auto and manual mode, and above 2500rpm. When gear is changed from 4th to 5th, electronically, it’ll hold the rpm for about 2-3s then engaged with a jerk forward and a knock sound. When it’s below 2200rpm, the transmission is very smooth and between 2200-2500rpm, rpm hold for 1s and a little jerk. If I revv first 3 gears, the gear engagement problem is more obvious, sometimes even at 3rd to 4th gear. I also tried both depressing and releasing accelerator but effect is the same.

I sent the car to a workshop for some rectifications and to my surprise found that the gearbox is a recon piece. I didn’t believe as I was told by dealer the car has no mod or nothing changed. I then sent the car to Kah Motor. And yes, they told me the gearbox is not factory and non-traceable. Kah Motor has confirmed gearbox problem and suspecting gearbox’s ECU faulty as harness is found reconnected. Kah Motor can't repair the gearbox as it not factory and recommend me to change new gearbox at $5k, excluding labour. I took the car back only paid for diagnosis.

Appreciate any bros here to give some advice/comment. I guess I probably need to repair/overhaul my gearbox or get another recon gearbox. Any recommendation on what to do and where to do?

One note about test drive. I was brought to a short road, about 400m dual way, around Tagore Lane as it was drizzling. By the time I’m in 4th gear it’s already end of road, otherwise gear changed below 2200-2500rpm as I did a few laps. Didn’t feel anything back then. Anyway, another lesson learnt on test drive.

Thank you very much in advance.

Integrate
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by Integrate » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:20 am

Might want to take this chance to switch to manual, while you at it. 8)

Go to integra.sg to find out more, esp. the DC5 expert mechanic at Defu.

kcheong

Post by kcheong » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Integrate wrote:Might want to take this chance to switch to manual, while you at it. 8)

Go to integra.sg to find out more, esp. the DC5 expert mechanic at Defu.
Thanks, but my wife drives the integra most of the time. I only drive occassionally and weekends, though I would love to. I got another car. :(