Used Oil Analysis (UOA) Thread

Home Of The S2000 Owners
J-AP2
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Used Oil Analysis (UOA) Thread

Post by J-AP2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi all,

I think this will be a useful thread to have as a sticky for all s2k owners. It relates to the regular maintainence which will be of relevance to all owners. I've been looking at the sticky threads and I think we should clean it up a bit, leaving the more useful and informative threads as stickies or adding certain stickies that will be useful to owners.

Jellyfish has done an UOA recently (ps: can u copy n paste the main posts on yer results over to this thread? Thank You~) and shared his results with the rest here. I hope this thread continues with other results that u might have done yerself or read about online pertaining to UOAs. I myself should be getting a UOA done sometime soon too. Do note that different weather conditions, usage, modifications, 'age' of engine will affect the intepretation of UOA results, so dun compare all results apple to apple. Every UOA is most relevant to the owner and his own vehicle, but also definitely sheds some light on the engine oil being tested as well as the type of usage etc.

For those who want to use their engine oil for longer intervals, u will have to request for an additional Total Base Number (TBN) figure from the lab. Without looking at the TBN remaining in the oil, you can only perceive how much life is left in the oil and how much further you can extend your oil change interval. If you will still change your oil on a shorter interval despite data that shows the oil is still doing its job well, then dun bother about TBN figures. U could just do UOAs at intervals of a few oil changes to check on the condition of wear and tear of the engine. UOA only gives u numbers to indicate possible engine failure that might be coming further down the road or prompt you with hints of an oil that doesn't work well. A compression and leakdown test will have to be done if there are some negative indicators shown by UOAs.

Here's a useful UOA done on UNUSED virgin Motul 300V 5W30 engine oil by a member in the s2ki community. This is very useful information as it provides the statistics and numbers to compare used oil numbers against, relevant to Motul 300V in particular.

Here's the UOA done on the Motul 300V 5W30 by the same s2ki member.

Results look to be generally good. Oil can sustain longer usage. This test sample went thru 4056miles (6490kms) of usage that included 1 trackday, daily driving + highway pulls etc. The oil has maintained its viscosity well and chromium numbers show 0 across the board, indicating no ring wear, which is good. The anti-shear properties of 300V are probably mainly due to it being non-petroleum based.
Last edited by J-AP2 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J-AP2
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by J-AP2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Ok here's one for the Honda OEM oil that went through a 3500mile break-in interval. Owner did some autocross events during this interval and the car sees mainly weekend usage.

jellyfish
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by jellyfish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 pm

okie heres lemonie`s oil test
i`ve been running on redline engine oil since 10k servicing, tot i give redline oil a try, so the oil i`ve sent for testing is the redline 10W-30.
used for 10k interval, been to road trip to cameron highland once, and the rest is being driven in sg condition.

recently brought a can of used oil anlysis kit model 2 that also test the Total Acid Number(TAN = tells you how much life your engine oil can go on till its gone case)

the ppl doing the test is schaeffers oil analysis dept. they do produce their own oil also, last time my wife`s jazz was on it, not bad oil, semi syn oil with very high moly counts, quiet oil, too quiet for me, lol

this is how the kit looks like :wink: it consist of 2 container, one for shipping another for carrying the oil samples to be tested, the paper tells you how to take the oil sample properly without any contamination due to our hands or forign particles. :wink:

fill in required areas and send .

just collected the oil sample thanx to the friendly ppl at KAH motor

not just waiting to send to US side to test them, :wink:
mango

jellyfish
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by jellyfish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:18 pm

watch this thread, i`ll up date this thread when the results come back. :wink:

no worries, it cost nothing to see the UOA results, cos every car is diff, and diff driver drive differently, so results will sure be damn different, filter and additives also will alter the result on different cars. :wink:

why do a UOA you might ask, have you ever wonder all that marketing bull crap those sales ppl pull out to sell you engine oil that promise many many things? how you know its good? butt feel ? well any oil you wanna know if its good, just send lor, gear box oil, engine oil, LSD oil, any oil lah. :wink:

say all they want, a simple UOA will tell you things you never know whats happening to your engine, they can tell you bearing wear, piston ring wear, amt of dirt in the engine oil due to bad filtration, coolent entering the engine oil, water injestion, or sign of over heating, and best of all, how much life your engine oil have left before the performance tapers off to nothing.

below is my old UOA with inputs given by the US side oil expert, and sg side oil expert, :wink: when the result comes back i also confused on how to see those numbers, i was shown to BITOG(Bob Is The Oil Guy forum) there those guru break it down for simple joe like me.lol
oh ya the oil being tested last time was the mibil 1 10W-30.on the jazz 1.4 manual, with apexi filter and hks exos. stock engine .

mango

jellyfish
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by jellyfish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 pm

woohoo!!!!!!!!! the UOA result came liao,
oil condition normal
contamination marginal
wear rate normal.

now lemme figure out how to transfer the pdf file into jpeg so i can put into photobucket, and then in turn post here.

a note from the oil guys.

1) he say my air fuel ratio is on the rich side, maybe to reduce pinging.hmmm

2)from the results, the 2nd UOA looks better with Chromium lower, Nickel also lower

3) this report is being combined with your previous uoa report for better monitoring

4) if different car then disregard the 1st UOA
20Sep08 is your 1st UOA

5) TAN of 4 would be the max, so yours would have some life to go, maybe another 5k more

6)in fact Si of 21ppm is pretty good, those ppl using paper filter only around 15-20ppm

7)so your aftermarket filter consider very good already, no worries on your filter system

0.1% is very normal in Spore, i got alot of report with other cars with water, the water report is similar with alot of cars, so i wouldn't worry abt it

9)your S2000 is in tip top condition, no worries.
mango

jellyfish
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by jellyfish » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:20 pm

hehehe, fianlly got it up into photobucket. :wink:

here are the results

a note from the oil guys

Si @21ppm are pretty normal in our type of environment, no cause of worry especially with your aftermarket air filter system.Water @1.05% are no cause of worries either, most likely atmosphericmoisture. Very normal in Spore.Oil viscosity are holding firmly at 30weight, no sign of shearing atall, very stable and strong oil.TAN of 2.81, still have some life left, mostly likely able to goanother 5k km max.Wear rate are low and very normal, nothing much you could improve on.

RegardsTerenceMXTRADINGS.COM
mango

jellyfish
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by jellyfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 pm

updates time for you guys on the most recent UOA taken 30th sept 2010, and here is what the oil guys say.

Trend looks like going slightly upwards but don't worry, thesesmallchanges are within testing error. in fact, all 3 sample hasproven that w30 engine suit your engine to the glove, no problem atall.The moisture looks normal too, most of my Singapore customers hasmoisture in their oil, i think it's our weather. FYI. UOA sample is as usual, nothing exciting going on.

well it is reading higher cos we went for a long 2700km road trip pushing those horses to work overtime :twisted:
mango

eldercaddy

Post by eldercaddy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Here is my research for the oil analysis,

Oil analysis (OA) is the sampling and laboratory analysis of a lubricant's properties, suspended contaminants, and wear debris. OA is performed during routine preventive maintenance to provide meaningful and accurate information on lubricant and machine condition. By tracking oil analysis sample results over the life of a particular used engines machine, trends can be established which can help eliminate costly repairs. The study of wear in machinery is called tribology. Tribologists often perform or interpret oil analysis data.

OA can be divided into three categories:
analysis of oil properties including those of the base oil and its additives,
analysis of contaminants,
analysis of wear debris from machinery,

I have a lot more research about it.