Unanswered topics Active topics

Brake advice

Civic model year 2000 -2005
tygt204
3000rpm
3000rpm

Brake advice

Post by tygt204 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi all, need some advice. Planning going genting and cameron within 3 days next month, but feel brake not strong. Kept having wobbling effect, fading sound when hard braking from 100km/hr only. I've changed pad(stock) only 12k KM two service ago but rotor is unchange day one.
Am thinking taking option "i" as I don't know it's a rotor problem, or should I go try skim rotor first?
Lastly is option "i" (brembo + Pmu) able to install in Stamford Tyres alone?
Thanks

Rotors and Brake Pads
i) Brembo max slotted rotor with project mu bestop brake pads ($280 with install)
ii) Brembo Sports Rotors (slotted or cross drilled) : $380
iii) Project Mu SCR Pure Plus SD624 (262mm) Rotor : $480 with Install
iv) project Mu bestop Brake Pads: $120 with install
v) Brembo blank rotor(282mm) redrilled: $220 w/install
vi) Ferrodo Brake Pads: $110 w/install
vii) Hawk performance pads: pm Bravo for special pricing

Project Miu Rotors, Pads - Go to Stamford Tyres (esp at Jurong)

Brembo stuff and Hawk pads, go to bro Bro
Can look for bravo here:

SPINERGY CONCEPTS
Blk 9002 Tampines St 93
#02-40 S(528836)
T: 6786 2809 (Mon~Fri, 9am~5pm - by appmt)
E: [email protected]

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Bro dont take chances better dont skim not advisable,
cos you going up and down two big hills in Pahang
especially Cameron when coming down if im not wrong
is on the outside lane and most part of the summit
is two way traffic. Enjoy your holiday.

Chill man

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 pm

From Genting mid hill, batang kali to cameron theres
alot of sweeping high speed bends and you wont be
the only one speeding even vans and lorries are
doing so. Do a proper job and enjoy the bends. :lol:

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 pm

i frequently go up and down cameron for my holidays with family. service your brake system and flush your brake fluids to replace with new dot4 brake fluid after you replace your rotor and brake pads.

personally i'd just change out the rotor and put on new brake pads and new fluids for such a trip to genting and cameron if my rotors never replaced before and brakes feel funny.

just get your mechanic to replace all OEM will do la unless you want to UPGRADE... in the case of upgrade, please come for meetup becos the upgrde list will be long, and detaied. reading what is posted here you won't get the correct idea of what to do.

do not try to go cheap on brakes and tyres for your trip. we can help you get best price for proper maintenance. not cheep... just prices and work quality thatis not shoddy or substandard. of course, Kah Motor is most 'reliable' but even that has its own horror stories... altho they do make good their errors...

the rest of the big names - autobac, stamford, star, ac delgro, etc all ok la... big companies dun do too bad a job... just cost a bit more - they got so many soldiers to feed...

no time to come meetup, just go Kah Motor settle everything. just tell the service tech that you are servicing your brakes etc for long distance driving, and going up and down genting AND cameron. they will know what to do.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

macross43
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by macross43 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:45 am

I belive that the most impt. of a car is the tyre and brake cos our life depend strongly on it in case of emegency, so i would strongly recommand you to repair or replace your brake before you go on your trip. Atleast it will clear your worried and you can enjoy your holiday.

From your description , it seems it is time to change your rotor as it might have uneven on the rotor which causes the wobbing effect. U can do skimming of the rotor but i wouldn't recommand that as it will reduce the thickness of the rotor and if i am not wrong there is a limit thickness for the rotor to be effective in brake.

For brake pad and shoes, u can change to performace pad or use back stock pad, it depend on if you want to improve your braking and also your budget. Your money , your choice.

Any addition to improve your brake is really subjective to your own need and $$$ , so you have to consider yourself, we can only give our own humble advice.

Hope it helps 8) 8) 8)

tygt204
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by tygt204 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, feeling really noob now. I always tot when applied brakes: only the front disk brakes is working, or is the rear also activates at same time? or is the shoe only activates during pulling hand brake?

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:01 am

you digress... but yes, when you step on your footbrake, all 4 of the brakes on your car are activated. it's not a bicycle thing where you can chose whether or not to activate a set of brakes front or rear or both, or motorcycle - which often result in people crashing because they never learnt to apply BOTH front and rear brakes in any attempt to stop or slow the vehicle.

for our cars, the handbrake cable and the footbrake cable are separate cables albeit connected to te same brake caliper. it activates separately and independantly of each other.

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

XiaoNick
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Re: Brake advice

Post by XiaoNick » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:12 pm

tygt204 wrote:Hi all, need some advice. Planning going genting and cameron within 3 days next month, but feel brake not strong. Kept having wobbling effect, fading sound when hard braking from 100km/hr only. I've changed pad(stock) only 12k KM two service ago but rotor is unchange day one.
Am thinking taking option "i" as I don't know it's a rotor problem, or should I go try skim rotor first?
Lastly is option "i" (brembo + Pmu) able to install in Stamford Tyres alone?
Thanks

Rotors and Brake Pads
i) Brembo max slotted rotor with project mu bestop brake pads ($280 with install)
ii) Brembo Sports Rotors (slotted or cross drilled) : $380
iii) Project Mu SCR Pure Plus SD624 (262mm) Rotor : $480 with Install
iv) project Mu bestop Brake Pads: $120 with install
v) Brembo blank rotor(282mm) redrilled: $220 w/install
vi) Ferrodo Brake Pads: $110 w/install
vii) Hawk performance pads: pm Bravo for special pricing

Project Miu Rotors, Pads - Go to Stamford Tyres (esp at Jurong)

Brembo stuff and Hawk pads, go to bro Bro
Can look for bravo here:

SPINERGY CONCEPTS
Blk 9002 Tampines St 93
#02-40 S(528836)
T: 6786 2809 (Mon~Fri, 9am~5pm - by appmt)
E: [email protected]
Sounds like your rotors are warped.

You should think about your budget. if you intend to set aside 5k, a BBK can be installed. If you intend to set aside 300, it will not be possible at all right?

It will be better to change the pad, if you change the rotor. Cos if your rotor is already warped for a while, the brakepad might be uneven too.

Note that brembo sports are more recommend compared to brembo max if you are into better braking. I have heard good reviews about project miu rotors. But if you intend to upgrade to BBK, maybe you can do it on shot?

Do note that your brakes need time to run in. Please don't change it before the day you leave. Give it one month for you yourself to get adjusted to the new brakes.

rOcH
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by rOcH » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 pm

macross43 wrote:I belive that the most impt. of a car is the tyre and brake cos our life depend strongly on it in case of emegency, so i would strongly recommand you to repair or replace your brake before you go on your trip. Atleast it will clear your worried and you can enjoy your holiday.

From your description , it seems it is time to change your rotor as it might have uneven on the rotor which causes the wobbing effect. U can do skimming of the rotor but i wouldn't recommand that as it will reduce the thickness of the rotor and if i am not wrong there is a limit thickness for the rotor to be effective in brake.

For brake pad and shoes, u can change to performace pad or use back stock pad, it depend on if you want to improve your braking and also your budget. Your money , your choice.

Any addition to improve your brake is really subjective to your own need and $$$ , so you have to consider yourself, we can only give our own humble advice.

Hope it helps 8) 8) 8)
No wonder you "upgrade" your safety gear :lol: :lol: :lol:

tygt204
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by tygt204 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I won't be going for BBK. Main purpose is to get better than stock brake system. Personally I have tried PU pads on stock rotor, and can feel a lot more confident in braking, however it did wear out after 20K+ usage which i changed back to stock pads, which now experincing the wobbling feeling, perharps such combination was not right. Thus I just hope to get a upgraded rotor + pads which I think should be sufficient, but what brand combination rotor + pads, is what I like to know? If know the product code even better. Understand there's many other upgrade brands out there, but sticking to these 2 brands for now, unless highly recommended, my budget is up to $300-500. Thanks eg
Brembo, rotor + pads
PU, rotor + pads
Brembo rotor + PU pads
PU rotor + brembo pads

macross43
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by macross43 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 am

rOcH wrote:
macross43 wrote:I belive that the most impt. of a car is the tyre and brake cos our life depend strongly on it in case of emegency, so i would strongly recommand you to repair or replace your brake before you go on your trip. Atleast it will clear your worried and you can enjoy your holiday.

Hope it helps 8) 8) 8)
No wonder you "upgrade" your safety gear :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bo bian , i need additional brake power to stop my additional weight of me leh ..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

DaDude
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by DaDude » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:25 pm

:roll:
ImageImage
DDM

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:40 pm

tygt204 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I won't be going for BBK. Main purpose is to get better than stock brake system. Personally I have tried PU pads on stock rotor, and can feel a lot more confident in braking, however it did wear out after 20K+ usage which i changed back to stock pads, which now experincing the wobbling feeling, perharps such combination was not right. Thus I just hope to get a upgraded rotor + pads which I think should be sufficient, but what brand combination rotor + pads, is what I like to know? If know the product code even better. Understand there's many other upgrade brands out there, but sticking to these 2 brands for now, unless highly recommended, my budget is up to $300-500. Thanks eg
Brembo, rotor + pads
PU, rotor + pads
Brembo rotor + PU pads
PU rotor + brembo pads
Go to Spinergy seek out Bro Bravo ask for BREMBO SPORTS rotors 262 at 4 x 100 pcd.

U can either use his HAWK brand pads which are not bad, or go to Stamford to look for Proj Miu Bestop brake pads for Honda 262 calipers for Honda ES or Integra GSR (both the same)

the total priice WILL go very near or exceed your $500 limit by a bit...

If you want cheeper but comparable brake pads to stay within your budget pls come meetup tonite at Ayer Raja Food Centre :) I tell you there.

DaDude
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by DaDude » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 am

I wanna noe also... :finga:
ImageImage
DDM

ongwc5
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by ongwc5 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:54 am

tygt204 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I won't be going for BBK. Main purpose is to get better than stock brake system. Personally I have tried PU pads on stock rotor, and can feel a lot more confident in braking, however it did wear out after 20K+ usage which i changed back to stock pads, which now experincing the wobbling feeling, perharps such combination was not right. Thus I just hope to get a upgraded rotor + pads which I think should be sufficient, but what brand combination rotor + pads, is what I like to know? If know the product code even better. Understand there's many other upgrade brands out there, but sticking to these 2 brands for now, unless highly recommended, my budget is up to $300-500. Thanks eg
Brembo, rotor + pads
PU, rotor + pads
Brembo rotor + PU pads
PU rotor + brembo pads
Brembo sport (cross drilled) + PU B spec 500deg C, value for $$$$, u won't regret! 8)
Don't forget to change SSBH as well!

http://project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_bspec.html