Unanswered topics Active topics

CL7R blog: All good things.... pg 60

Home Of The Accordians
ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

CL7R blog: All good things.... pg 60

Post by ml2spin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Out of boredom and the itch of add my $0.02 into cyberspace, I have decided to start this thread as a mini-blog of owning and running the CL7 Euro R and whatever nonsense comes to mind.

Of course, any other comments are welcomed but please don't start flame wars or mud-slinging about you-know-what over you-know-who -- ignorance is bliss in this case.

Ok first entry:

Jan 09 - With the economy going blah and the need to control spending, the itch to look for the next better car is getting less and less...

Although it was conventional wisdom to change cars before paper value dips after the fifth year, this scenario doesn't look true for my case, as I would have to try to sell or scrap my car in such a depressed market that it looks more sensible to drive on.

Making it easier is the fact that I still like the CL7R -- sure it's no torque monster and sometimes it gets a bit tiring to have to rev the nuts off to really get moving.... but on the whole, given my limited car ownership experience, this will be my benchmark to judge future cars to buy.

Another milestone personally is the fact that I haven't modded the car for almost a full year now since switching rims and tyres -- changing brake pads don't count :wink:

But of course, if I had the $$$ to splash on a new car now, there are one or two potentials, namely the Evo X and Scirocco which are priced similarly from PIs.

Evo X -- no need to say much...
+++ enough space for most stuff, 4 doors, turbo and fancy AWD system
--- thristy, more maintenance needed, more temptations to mod

Scirocco - new VW coupe
+++ interesting shape, DSG, turbo, fancy suspension, conti snob appeal
--- cramped backseat, high boot sill, DSG, cost of parts?
Last edited by ml2spin on Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 am, edited 73 times in total.
ImageImageImage

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Oh forgot one more thing --- any other 03 or 04 CL7 first hand owners still out there?

Just curious about how many are seriously considering driving on beyond 5 years, as many of these owners have long since switched cars.
ImageImageImage

lfwd15
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by lfwd15 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:40 am

hee.. prob another 2 more yrs, i'll be in the league. gonna hold onto this car till de end... 8)
Learning is a journey. There's never an end to it. ;)

blurblur2
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by blurblur2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 am

ml2spin wrote:Oh forgot one more thing --- any other 03 or 04 CL7 first hand owners still out there?

Just curious about how many are seriously considering driving on beyond 5 years, as many of these owners have long since switched cars.
:wink:

Batmobile
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by Batmobile » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 am

Seen you a few times liao... your car still look new. :)
blurblur2 wrote:
ml2spin wrote:Oh forgot one more thing --- any other 03 or 04 CL7 first hand owners still out there?

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm

if booked in 04 then collect in 05 considered or not? hahha....like you..no money to change...seriously now also not much better cars to change to also...its either X or FD2....GTR to beyond reach liao...

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

blurblur2 wrote:

Long time no see and no post!! So driving on too?
ImageImageImage

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Bimmer wrote:

if booked in 04 then collect in 05 considered or not? hahha....like you..no money to change...seriously now also not much better cars to change to also...its either X or FD2....GTR to beyond reach liao...
can lah...

GTR?? :shock: The closest I get to that monster is in carparks and workshops like MR to drool over fancy stuff like its almost complete underbody aero panels...
ImageImageImage

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm

ml2spin wrote: can lah...

GTR?? :shock: The closest I get to that monster is in carparks and workshops like MR to drool over fancy stuff like its almost complete underbody aero panels...
hahha...maybe we combine and get GTR lor...u drive at night, i drive days...u take sat, i take sun lor...how...sell both ours then can get GTR lar...:lol: :lol:

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Bimmer wrote:
ml2spin wrote: can lah...

hahha...maybe we combine and get GTR lor...u drive at night, i drive days...u take sat, i take sun lor...how...sell both ours then can get GTR lar...:lol: :lol:
Still need a four-door car amd boot space for ocassional family stuff and coughing out $$$ for half a GTR is like kena :ANAL: -- way too painful to even contemplate :lol:
ImageImageImage

cwengkee
5000rpm
5000rpm

Re: My CL7R "long-term report" aka wayang TCSS...

Post by cwengkee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm

imo, a few other potential replacement cars :
1) vw jetta 1.4L twin charge, if boots still needed, gd value for $ at ard $90k
2) vw golf GTi-R, shd be launched this yr
3) audi A3
4) audi A4

Somehow, the VAG stable of cars is getting very interesting...to me at least :twisted:
ml2spin wrote:Out of boredom and the itch of add my $0.02 into cyberspace, I have decided to start this thread as a mini-blog of owning and running the CL7 Euro R and whatever nonsense comes to mind.

Of course, any other comments are welcomed but please don't start flame wars or mud-slinging about you-know-what over you-know-who -- ignorance is bliss in this case.

Ok first entry:

Jan 09 - With the economy going blah and the need to control spending, the itch to look for the next better car is getting less and less...

Although it was conventional wisdom to change cars before paper value dips after the fifth year, this scenario doesn't look true for my case, as I would have to try to sell or scrap my car in such a depressed market that it looks more sensible to drive on.

Making it easier is the fact that I still like the CL7R -- sure it's no torque monster and sometimes it gets a bit tiring to have to rev the nuts off to really get moving.... but on the whole, given my limited car ownership experience, this will be my benchmark to judge future cars to buy.

Another milestone personally is the fact that I haven't modded the car for almost a full year now since switching rims and tyres -- changing brake pads don't count :wink:

But of course, if I had the $$$ to splash on a new car now, there are one or two potentials, namely the Evo X and Scirocco which are priced similarly from PIs.

Evo X -- no need to say much...
+++ enough space for most stuff, 4 doors, turbo and fancy AWD system
--- thristy, more maintenance needed, more temptations to mod

Scirocco - new VW coupe
+++ interesting shape, DSG, turbo, fancy suspension, conti snob appeal
--- cramped backseat, high boot sill, DSG, cost of parts?

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Amongst the old bird, 03 cl7 r oredi few and rare. Mi driving almost 5 yrs now on my 2nd cl7r. Itch to change is always there and if a nice car with good pricing comes along, why not?? That said, I have a stange feeling that new car may be diff, not necessary better. In this economic climate, seems better to control the urge to try something new.

Unless its an EVO or other TC car which is diff. CTR is too similar to cl7r for me to take the plunge. Faster and kighter no use to me now hehehe.

Ian do check out the 2008 EVO X manual price now. I think its worth serious consideration hehehehe. As to GTR, maintenance is going to kill so no need to think. The bottom line is if u still enjoy the ride, then its not time yet.

Cheers
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:38 pm

[quote="cwengkee"]imo, a few other potential replacement cars :
3) audi A3
4) audi A4

Somehow, the VAG stable of cars is getting very interesting...to me at least :twisted:

[quote]

i test drove the B6 audi A4 1.8T (if i remmebr correctly)...the gearbox is jia lat leh....CVT....good engine stuck to a lousy gearbox....thank god they changed to the DSG...Btw the new B7 A4 1.8T got DSG?

Golf GTI is good, pick up is great, take corner very nicely but the price makes it not worth it...VAG mark up a lot for their cars...

trident69
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by trident69 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Guys, my 2cents worth of salt..

Coming from a Sir civic, then to a rex and now a CL7r, i hope i can share some inputs as well..

Bought the rex year 2003, it was then 113k with nothing from PI..must beg for a PIVOT MINI turbo timer. :lol: :lol:
fast forward to year 2008, the itch was there, went to shop around for a new ride..but one thing keeps coming to my mind..At that point in time, my rex was running abt 4++bhp and spend alot on her for the last 5 years, which car can i choose...? :twisted:

Have always wanted the CL7R since 2003 but the price back then was "wow"
So,if you ask me..TC or NA better??
TC = Kick a$$ butt feel
NA = No lag
So in final..still keep the NA route and enjoy my new ride ever since. :wink:
ImageImageImage

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Bimmer wrote:
cwengkee wrote:imo, a few other potential replacement cars :
3) audi A3
4) audi A4

i test drove the B6 audi A4 1.8T (if i remmebr correctly)...the gearbox is jia lat leh....CVT....good engine stuck to a lousy gearbox....thank god they changed to the DSG...Btw the new B7 A4 1.8T got DSG?

Golf GTI is good, pick up is great, take corner very nicely but the price makes it not worth it...VAG mark up a lot for their cars...
The current A4 is B8 already and it's still using the CVT. But A3 is using DSG as it has a traverse engine layout, unlike the A4's longtitudal.

Yup VAG markup is still high.
ImageImageImage