Unanswered topics Active topics

Start-up Clutch for Honda City (iDSI)

The second home of www.cityzen.sg
roytan30
3000rpm
3000rpm

Re: Start-up Clutch for Honda City (iDSI)

Post by roytan30 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:46 pm

Aslam wrote:Any bros know where to have e Start-Up Clutch for CVT replaced? What other components relating to e start-up clutch need be replaced due to wear & tear?

Thanks for all kind advice..
hi

iam very new n ca..how do you know that the start up clutch got problem..wt is the systom?

thank you

Aslam
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Aslam » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:44 am

roytan30 wrote:
Aslam wrote:Any bros know where to have e Start-Up Clutch for CVT replaced? What other components relating to e start-up clutch need be replaced due to wear & tear?

hi

iam very new n ca..how do you know that the start up clutch got problem..wt is the systom?

thank you
Basically, there wld be strong vibration when u move off from stationary. This may not be exactly start clutch problem... I just change it to HMMF and so far no such vibration... :pray: :pray: hopefully it solve e problem...

bluegord
Idling
Idling

Post by bluegord » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi

You mean your gear will vibrate violently? or your whole car will vibrate violently.

My car have a problem of lunging/jerking/jumping forward when stopped, mostly at traffic lights, when my gear is still at "D". Then when i move it to "N", the car will stop jerking/jumping. Is this the same symptoms as your problem?

Thanks!

mizuwater
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by mizuwater » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:40 am

Aslam wrote:
roytan30 wrote:

hi

thank you
Basically, there wld be strong vibration when u move off from stationary. This may not be exactly start clutch problem... I just change it to HMMF and so far no such vibration... :pray: :pray: hopefully it solve e problem...

How old is ur city ?
The startup clutch problem gave many Civic owners headache back in late 90s and early 2000s.

My previous EK3 bought in 2000 also had this problem...
and the reject ratio was even higher for those driving the EK3 replacement unit..the ES 8 series, the first civic that had a rear flat floor but still use CVT gearbox.

The sympton was as mentioned either vibration or temporary loss of power..meaning there is a slight delay in getting the power from the car when the accelerator pedal is stepped on.

Initially..KM or Honda Japan didnt know where was the source of the problem...all those civic tat went to KM had the whole gearbox changed.. the problem would occur if we floor the pedal more often..(who can resist flooring a honda ?) My fren who bought a EK3 same time as me...always like to rev his car...he went back to KM many times...sometime flushing will help abit...but finally he also had his gearbox changed....For my case,, I had it changed close to the end of the 60k warranty period.

For some reason,,,KM brought in the ES 5 ( to replace the ES8 ) which has a normal torque converter 4 speed gearbox . This model was on sale till the current generation of civic was introduced 1-2 yrs ago.

Aslam
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Aslam » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:18 pm

mizuwater wrote:
Aslam wrote:
roytan30 wrote: hi

thank you

How old is ur city ?
The startup clutch problem gave many Civic owners headache back in late 90s and early 2000s.

and the reject ratio was even higher for those driving the EK3 replacement unit..the ES 8 series, the first civic that had a rear flat floor but still use CVT gearbox.

The sympton was as mentioned either vibration or temporary loss of power..meaning there is a slight delay in getting the power from the car when the accelerator pedal is stepped on.

Initially..KM or Honda Japan didnt know where was the source of the problem...all those civic tat went to KM had the whole gearbox changed.. the problem would occur if we floor the pedal more often..(who can resist flooring a honda ?) My fren who bought a EK3 same time as me...always like to rev his car...he went back to KM many times...sometime flushing will help abit...but finally he also had his gearbox changed....For my case,, I had it changed close to the end of the 60k warranty period.

For some reason,,,KM brought in the ES 5 ( to replace the ES8 ) which has a normal torque converter 4 speed gearbox . This model was on sale till the current generation of civic was introduced 1-2 yrs ago.
After changing HMMF oil seems ok for till of late. Vibration is back and the car is coming 5 years old reaching 120K mileage. Going for flushing soon. Hope the problem doesn' t come :pray:

itsec
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by itsec » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Aslam wrote:
mizuwater wrote:
Aslam wrote: Basically, there wld be strong vibration when u move off from stationary. This may not be exactly start clutch problem... I just change it to HMMF and so far no such vibration... :pray: :pray: hopefully it solve e problem...

How old is ur city ?

After changing HMMF oil seems ok for till of late. Vibration is back and the car is coming 5 years old reaching 120K mileage. Going for flushing soon. Hope the problem doesn' t come :pray:
when's ur last change of HMMF?
why not u use cvtf with oil extreme concentrator? alot of them fit/jazz owner using it and the problem goes away.

ah heng from soon kiang motor - he overhaul quite a few cvt gearboxs / engines. His reputation is good, especially his knowledge in honda cars.

He's very friendly, but freak busy. He installed an atf cooler for me

Soon Kiang Motor
Defu lane 10 blk 13
Ah Heng @ 97837908

chityvtec
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by chityvtec » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:17 pm

Drive a manual car lah.... no such problem.
Royal Blue VT Manual G4/2006

cpcpy

Post by cpcpy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 am

my 5+ yo city is giving me this problem...

the car vibrates for 1-2 seconds upon moving off from stationary

a workshop guy says it is a common problem for city/jazz and can be fixed by replacing the gearbox...however, i don't need to replace if i can live with the problem, only thing the duration of vibration will become longer - it will not cause harm to other parts eg engine

is this accurate?

itsec
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by itsec » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 am

cpcpy wrote:my 5+ yo city is giving me this problem...

a workshop guy says it is a common problem for city/jazz and can be fixed by replacing the gearbox...however, i don't need to replace if i can live with the problem, only thing the duration of vibration will become longer - it will not cause harm to other parts eg engine

is this accurate?
from the info i gather.. move off is startup clutch problem.. can get it replaced....

when rpm reach in between 1k - 1.5k ~ 2k rpm, and its vibrates.. this is gearbox problem...

cpcpy

Post by cpcpy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 pm

itsec wrote:
from the info i gather.. move off is startup clutch problem.. can get it replaced....

when rpm reach in between 1k - 1.5k ~ 2k rpm, and its vibrates.. this is gearbox problem...
i'll check with another mechanic when i send my car for servicing

M0NSTER
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by M0NSTER » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:16 pm

i also have the problem where can i get the oil extreme concentrator pls help
thanks

itsec
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by itsec » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:03 am

M0NSTER wrote:i also have the problem where can i get the oil extreme concentrator pls help
thanks
chk pm.

Jlim
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Jlim » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:05 pm

is this accurate?
Autogear Fluid change did the trick for me when the symptom came.

itsec
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by itsec » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Jlim wrote:

is this accurate?
Autogear Fluid change did the trick for me when the symptom came.
ATF or CVTF??

Jlim
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by Jlim » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Ctvf