Unanswered topics Active topics

Shock Absorber advice

Civic model year 2000 -2005
Wheelie45
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by Wheelie45 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Any bro or sis know the rough cost to replace all the bushings with related to the suspension system?

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Wheelie45 wrote:Any bro or sis know the rough cost to replace all the bushings with related to the suspension system?
Kah Motor will be around SGD$2k to replace ALL.

(just the front 6 pieces bushings alone almost SGD$500 leow...) there are 22 bushings in total for ES linkages.

If you buy aftermarket and do it at outside workshop the price is around SGD$800... will have some change coming back... I think if you buy OEM bushings will be slightly cheaper still... maybe SGD600 but this price not confirmed... it's a guesstimation...

the aftermarket do is more or less around there...

the real question is this:

Why do you want to change ALL your bushing? do really need to have them all changed?

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

n2
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by n2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Just wondering what are the symptoms that indicate that the bushings need replacement?

I have replaced my shocks to KYB Excel G but still experienced firm ride and occasionally a "tok tok" sound when going over a hump. Prior to the shocks replacement there were no sound. I am suspecting its the bushings but not too sure though...

c0c0nUt
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by c0c0nUt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi bro, can share what's the cost to change kyb G? Thanks.

n2
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by n2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 am

c0c0nUt wrote:Hi bro, can share what's the cost to change kyb G? Thanks.
Parts only:
Front-$178 x 2
Rear-$90 x 2
Less $20 if getting all 4(Promo period only)

Price is without labour and wheel alignment.

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 am

n2 wrote:Just wondering what are the symptoms that indicate that the bushings need replacement?

I have replaced my shocks to KYB Excel G but still experienced firm ride and occasionally a "tok tok" sound when going over a hump. Prior to the shocks replacement there were no sound. I am suspecting its the bushings but not too sure though...

firm ride is definitely one la... that is the trademark of the Honda...

you want a soft ride? Try Toyota Corolla (most varients)... nice soft ride...

tok tok sound must let someone else hear it ...

without hearing it, I can GUESS that your spring was not mounted properly - i.e. pointing in the right direction to seat on the shocks properly

the SECOND GUESS is that you have some linkage bushing worn out and is metal to metal but it only 'click' together during a full turn...

the THIRD GUESS is that your drive shaft dust boots are wornout, and sand and other road debris got into the system and there will be tok tok sound during full turn, especially at parking speeds...

the FORTH GUESS is something is lose in your car, and knocks about during turning to geneate that tok tok sound...

the FIFTH GUESS is your brakes - caliper, brake pad, rotor, is making noise as it is worn, or lose...

after all these GUESSING.. it could also be that all are WRONG GUESSES and it's something else completely...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

go consult a real mechanic please...

you dun have one, come for meetup and we will tell you where to go.

or else just go back to Kah Motor... they quite good and not too expensive these days...

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Go for the last option, its the best bet
can sleep soundly and get wet dreams oso. :lol:
SEX is one of the nine reasons for re-incarnation, the RESTis not important.

n2
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by n2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:57 pm

MCDS wrote:
n2 wrote:Just wondering what are the symptoms that indicate that the bushings need replacement?

firm ride is definitely one la... that is the trademark of the Honda...

you want a soft ride? Try Toyota Corolla (most varients)... nice soft ride...

tok tok sound must let someone else hear it ...

without hearing it, I can GUESS that your spring was not mounted properly - i.e. pointing in the right direction to seat on the shocks properly

the SECOND GUESS is that you have some linkage bushing worn out and is metal to metal but it only 'click' together during a full turn...

the THIRD GUESS is that your drive shaft dust boots are wornout, and sand and other road debris got into the system and there will be tok tok sound during full turn, especially at parking speeds...

the FORTH GUESS is something is lose in your car, and knocks about during turning to geneate that tok tok sound...

the FIFTH GUESS is your brakes - caliper, brake pad, rotor, is making noise as it is worn, or lose...

after all these GUESSING.. it could also be that all are WRONG GUESSES and it's something else completely...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

go consult a real mechanic please...

you dun have one, come for meetup and we will tell you where to go.

or else just go back to Kah Motor... they quite good and not too expensive these days...
The firmness I am describing is comparing to another same ride. Mine is more like bumpy esp when i go over the hump, the car literally jump at the rear. When I drove my friend's ES1, I can feel his ride is more comfy(though firm too) comparing to mine. He is on stock shocks and did not change the shocks since he had the car in 2005. I suspected its my stock shocks that might be faulty so I replaced it with KYB. However, I still feel the same, might be psychological issue though.

I have sent my ride to the mechanic to check regarding the tok tok sound. Test drove two rounds with another mechanic. They said "might" be the bushings or the shock absorber mounting. They can't confirm because the tok tok sound is intermitent. Advised me not to replace it unnecessarily and observe whether the sound will become more obvious after more driving. When the sound is more prominent, then it will be easier to troubleshoot the problem.

Right now, I am considering your last advice which is Kah motor.
Will watch out for the next meetup notice and try to attend.

Thanks for the advice given, appreciate it.

Hysteria4u
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Rear kok kok sound

Post by Hysteria4u » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Bro, check your arb (anti roll bar) first. Get a mechanic to check, of you want you can do it yourself. Ii it stock or upsized? Maybe its the end links?

Next, check if the springs are seated correctly. Stock springs if not mounted correctly can cause sound. Like coilover got kok kok or eeh orrh eeeh oorh usually means spring is not tight, need to 'pre-load' if you know what I mean.

Rear suspension bushes tend to last a lot longer than front. You can still check visually or just jack the car up and see if you can move the wheel when holding the tyre in a 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. repeat for 12 and 6. maybe wheel bearing gone?

Do you recall any impact damage before? Wheel nuts tight? Spray some grease at the bushes and see if the sound is gone. If yes, maybe rubber bushes are gone. Next, spray on the spring, if no more sound, maybe c=the spring is not seated well. Sound on both sides or one side? Kok from exhaust? Did you langar your exhaust when you gos tan?

n2
1000rpm
1000rpm

Re: Rear kok kok sound

Post by n2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Hysteria4u wrote:Bro, check your arb (anti roll bar) first. Get a mechanic to check, of you want you can do it yourself. Ii it stock or upsized? Maybe its the end links?

Next, check if the springs are seated correctly. Stock springs if not mounted correctly can cause sound. Like coilover got kok kok or eeh orrh eeeh oorh usually means spring is not tight, need to 'pre-load' if you know what I mean.

Rear suspension bushes tend to last a lot longer than front. You can still check visually or just jack the car up and see if you can move the wheel when holding the tyre in a 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. repeat for 12 and 6. maybe wheel bearing gone?

Do you recall any impact damage before? Wheel nuts tight? Spray some grease at the bushes and see if the sound is gone. If yes, maybe rubber bushes are gone. Next, spray on the spring, if no more sound, maybe c=the spring is not seated well. Sound on both sides or one side? Kok from exhaust? Did you langar your exhaust when you gos tan?
Thanks for the advice bro...
I got my car sent in to Kah motor to check on Friday. The service advisor gave me the same answer as my outside mechanic. He told me the problem is intermittent and it will be hard to trace. And likely could be due to worn out bushings. Going over the hump with one wheel up first follow by the other might generate the noise.

I guess I am just being paranoid and will just monitor the situation as I drive.Meanwhile I will heed your advice to spray the grease on the bushings to see if it helps.

Thanks again!

chrischen
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by chrischen » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm

I just changed all my 4 shock absorbers. Costs $570 for just the parts KYB Excel G gas charged front + rear. After changing, there was no difference in ride quality. The old shocks look new and there were no leaks. I kept the old ones just in case. I guess I just wasted some money :( . I really regret changing them!

tharatalae
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by tharatalae » Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I had the same prob and i went to Lim tan to get it fixed! Found out that the lower arm bushings crack! Then changed the bushing and stabilizer linkage! Total cost arnd $300 with wheel alignment!

noprob
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by noprob » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 pm

chrischen wrote:I just changed all my 4 shock absorbers. Costs $570 for just the parts KYB Excel G gas charged front + rear. After changing, there was no difference in ride quality. The old shocks look new and there were no leaks. I kept the old ones just in case. I guess I just wasted some money :( . I really regret changing them!
mind sharing bro how long already u used the stock one ? ..

tharatalae
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by tharatalae » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 pm

noprob wrote:
chrischen wrote:I just changed all my 4 shock absorbers. Costs $570 for just the parts KYB Excel G gas charged front + rear. After changing, there was no difference in ride quality. The old shocks look new and there were no leaks. I kept the old ones just in case. I guess I just wasted some money :( . I really regret changing them!
hmm 5 years!

chrischen
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by chrischen » Mon May 09, 2011 10:25 pm

noprob wrote:
I bought the car used, so I have no idea how old are they. The ex-owner might have changed them before. I am thinking of switching back to the old ones and then sell the new KYB Excel G ones. I have the receipt for the KYB ones so should be quite easy to sell.