Unanswered topics Active topics

Shock Absorber advice

Civic model year 2000 -2005
MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 am

bro, can share with us your contact? or update? Did you use the contact in the How To folder?

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

miketeo14
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Re: Good shock absorber

Post by miketeo14 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:35 pm

jackacm wrote:Just made a order of bilstien B8 both front absorber for about 590. Will arrive in 3mth time, update u guy the feel when when it's on my ride. Anyway FYI: bilstien B12 cost 1.4k for a set of four. Cheers
kaypo a bit, did you ask how much for the pss9 coils?
Civic-Minded. Always.

Vacuum
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Vacuum » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:16 am

Went to Tanly this morning.
Front Shock Absorbers for ES5 no more liao :(
Left with Rear Shock Absorbers.

SEIPO
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by SEIPO » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Dear Bros,

Just an update. Got my Stock Abosrbers replaced at JB. Total Labour cost + on wheel high speed balancing + alignment is RM300 ( Equiv. to Sgd $127 @ exchg rate of 2.37)

Btw, i replaced the engine mountings as well. Bght the stock mountings from Tanly at $250 (With GST).

Hence, Total cost of replacement is $594 (absorbers + Bush arms) + $250 (Engine Mountings) + $127 (Labour) = $971.

Car feels like new after replacement of these parts. However, i do not know if it is due to these replacement, when i engaged reverse gear during stationary, car vibrates quite badly as compared to before replacement of engine mountings. In N, P and D mode, it is defintely better than before replacement though. Funny.

jerome85
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by jerome85 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 pm

hi to all senior bros,

Total change for 2 rear absorber : 430 with installation

is it worth to change?
Thanks

Vacuum
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Vacuum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:06 pm

SEIPO wrote:Dear Bros,

Just an update. Got my Stock Abosrbers replaced at JB. Total Labour cost + on wheel high speed balancing + alignment is RM300 ( Equiv. to Sgd $127 @ exchg rate of 2.37)

Btw, i replaced the engine mountings as well. Bght the stock mountings from Tanly at $250 (With GST).

Hence, Total cost of replacement is $594 (absorbers + Bush arms) + $250 (Engine Mountings) + $127 (Labour) = $971.

Car feels like new after replacement of these parts. However, i do not know if it is due to these replacement, when i engaged reverse gear during stationary, car vibrates quite badly as compared to before replacement of engine mountings. In N, P and D mode, it is defintely better than before replacement though. Funny.
Bro. You still encountering the vibration in R now? I don't whether if I should change. 5years old ES.

Casper
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by Casper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Guys,

Think my suspensions need to change liao... I just came back from Cameron Highlands. The road was covered with pot holes and my car was like screaming in damaged everytime I go over the uneven floor and every corners on the winding road

Q. How to know or check that your car suspensions need replacing?
Cos abt a yr ago, when I brought my car to KM. The guys there said that my suspensions need to be replaced liao. However, outside mechanic just press press down my car suspsnsion and told me can still use then. But it has been a year since and I really wonder if the suspensions are still usable or not.

Pls advise.

Many Thanks..!!

n2
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by n2 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Gonna change the shock absorber too.. need some advice here.

Is the original shocks from Showa? I am contemplating between the KYB Excel G and the OEM Showa. Does anyone know what are the differences?

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 am

those who want a 3rd (witchdoctor) opinion of the condition of your shocks, come for meetup. it's also likely you get to sample a few different types of aftermarket shocks including the aforementioned kyb etc...

depending on how you drive and your driving experience, the ES stock shocks are already more firm than other makes (e.g. Toyota, Mitsu, Nissan) Only the Mazda is as firm but that is in Euro spec... (read heavy)

testing shocks - push the side that is suspect down and let go. The suspension should come back up and settle down in one movement. More than one movement i.e. bounce and bounce... means the thing is DEAD...

Dying shocks sometimes also just one 'bounce' and settle... you can tell when you jack up the car and see that the shocks are oily and blackish on the outside... i.e leaking leow...

Shock failure is terrifying when going around bends and corners, and the whole car just SITS down on one side and doesn't really come back up properly, and the spring just bounces the car all over as the absorbers just freeflow without any damping... your car will just skittle and lose traction in the corner.. the faster you go... the more exciting...

don't mess with your worn out shocks... get them fixed, or get them replaced immediately. you cannot afford the shocks? let me tell you - you cannot afford the consequences...

a cheep but working after market shock absorber beats a worn out non-functioning/malfunctioning stock or upgrade shock anyday.

good luck

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

ongwc5
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by ongwc5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 am

Pls check ur gear box mounting condition...

ongwc5
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by ongwc5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 am

Vacuum wrote:

Bro. You still encountering the vibration in R now? I don't whether if I should change. 5years old ES.
Consider is due for 5 year usage, time to replace.
If ur prioity is comfort, recommend KYB exel G.

civic6382
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by civic6382 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Vacuum wrote:Did a search the found these infor. Correct me if the the infor are wrong :

Stock Shock Absorber for Civic ES (mine is ES5 2004/2005 model)
- Make and Model : KYB Excel G
- Front Right part number : 331008
- Front Left part number : 331009
- Both Rear part number : 341311
- Got 2 types 14mm and 16mm. My ride should be using 16mm
- Price range for all 4 (S$510 ~ S$550) without installation
- Not sure need to change Mounting and protection kits or not (btw, what are these stuffs?)
- Can buy from the following shops :
Selegie Spare parts at Birch Road
Aik Huat Chop at Waterloo street

Yuan Thong
Chin Hon
Stockist like Tanly and Thian Seng
- Installation S$20/rear shock (front not sure) at Autosaver (infor from another local car forum)
- After change need to do alignment (about S$50 ~ S$70???)

These are the infor I gathered by doing a search in the local car forums.
I have yet to change yet, still researching....

Get it changed to Excel G this week. The car is firmer and the comfort level is better than stock. Good stock replacement options.

evilfry
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by evilfry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

hey guys got a question regarding the KYB excel g shocks

are those available in Singapore silver (made in Japan) or black (made in USA)?

I heard that the silver ones are of better build and quality than the made in USAs..is it true?

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 pm

jap price different leow... yen on the rise...

civic6382
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by civic6382 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:23 pm

evilfry wrote:hey guys got a question regarding the KYB excel g shocks

are those available in Singapore silver (made in Japan) or black (made in USA)?

I heard that the silver ones are of better build and quality than the made in USAs..is it true?
Mine is still MIJ, changed last month.