Unanswered topics Active topics

Is my ES old enough to ve such problems?

Civic model year 2000 -2005
Fine Tuning
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Is my ES old enough to ve such problems?

Post by Fine Tuning » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm

My beloved ES wld be 5 yrs old this nov and mileage is currently 90k, never tracked before and serviced regularly.

but recent servicing, i was told that my engine mount one of it has cracked and the others wearing out... steering rack also emitting noise thats y steering at low speed has a tek tek sound..

was quoted 400+ for the engine mount and $700+ for the steering rack although the mech say that can try service it wo changing but no guarantee it will not caused the noise again...

Haiz 90k only leh but y like so many wear and tear liao... Bros who ve driven ur ES for this long, ve u face such problems? i always tot hondas are generally more reliable / durable. Or are there more to come.. can give me some advance warning so that i can prepare my wallet :lol:

anyway ve 2 sets of visors for sale:
http://www.shc-forum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0&start=60

Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Re: Is my ES old enough to ve such problems?

Post by Krado » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Fine Tuning wrote: Haiz 90k only leh but y like so many wear and tear liao... Bros who ve driven ur ES for this long, ve u face such problems? i always tot hondas are generally more reliable / durable. Or are there more to come.. can give me some advance warning so that i can prepare my wallet :lol:
I own a 7year old ES ( but only have driven it for 1 year+ lol), mileage 120k+ already...Its alright bro, the least-heard of part of my car also had a problem, the FR suspension shock mount. Aircon compressor also died... two things had to be replaced over one year alone. ;P

Anyway these are (I think) normal wear and tear parts...

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Re: Is my ES old enough to ve such problems?

Post by MCDS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:52 pm

Fine Tuning wrote:My beloved ES wld be 5 yrs old this nov and mileage is currently 90k, never tracked before and serviced regularly.

but recent servicing, i was told that my engine mount one of it has cracked and the others wearing out... steering rack also emitting noise thats y steering at low speed has a tek tek sound..

was quoted 400+ for the engine mount and $700+ for the steering rack although the mech say that can try service it wo changing but no guarantee it will not caused the noise again...

Haiz 90k only leh but y like so many wear and tear liao... Bros who ve driven ur ES for this long, ve u face such problems? i always tot hondas are generally more reliable / durable. Or are there more to come.. can give me some advance warning so that i can prepare my wallet :lol:

bro FT, your car only 90,000km and 5 years old... at age 5, engine mounts would probably suffer wear and tear and need to be changed. As to steering, it could be the way you turn it... esp when parking. I have known bros who cracked the engine mount in 2 years, or 3 so yours is quite long lasting leow.

Wear and tear on the 5th year would be setting in, generally get ready for cascade replacement of parts, starting with anything rubber/plastic based in the engine bay. Have you replaced your timing belts and water pump yet? radiator, brake, transmission and power steering fluids? if not, it's very high time to change them.

Other things to start being aware of is your two electric motor fans - they may be giving out soon. as is your alternator. Auto? then watch out for your auto-gearbox, O2 sensors, etc. all need to get ready to change leow.

many people change cars in 3 years because they dun wan to face the cascade parts failure in wear and tear... we (ok... I ... am poor) and cannot change car, so will drive this car 10 years... and committed to maintenance and renewal of wear and tear moving and rubber/plastic parts of the engine bay.

with today's coe prices, your 5 year old ES can sell for more than $35K to $40 leow... not bad... good time to sell and start taking private transport and avoid all the increasing cost hassle of owning a private vehicle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, reliable and durable is the engine and car in general. not maintenance... all cars will have to be maintained... that part is not cheep nor free... as for cheep to maintain, Toyota and Nissan are the champions of these two categories... NOT Honda... Honda is more for performance and drivability where 1.6-2.0 litre cars are concerned.

and yes, your car IS old enough to have such problems...

and no, although my car is past the 5th year mark and done 175,000km, I do not have the problems you described above... :lol: :lol: :lol: that's becos I put engine mount inserts into the engine mounts in year 1. and somehow managed to turn my car without too much strain on the steering rack, but my power steering pump is on the verge of konking... so I'm looking at it closely... my aircon compressor failed twice and I replaced my brake pads and battery and fuel strainer 3 times, and rotors, rear wheel bearings, timing belts and water pump twice. talk about maintenance... sigh...

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

lokey
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by lokey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 pm

long list mark.....memory superb or lasting account balance =]

Fine Tuning
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Fine Tuning » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Bro Krado, like u mention all wear and tear.... they are really wearing and tearing my wallet... :cry:

Bro MCDS, yeah i ve changed all belts, pumps, fuel strainer, fluids and oil during my 80k so guess dont ve to worry much on those. as for my radiator.. quite new also cos tat time accident and changed a new one :lol: you are right.. right now im keeping my fingers crossed on the items u mentioned.. fan, alternator, and sensors.. strain the steering rack.. cannot be too many u turns ba maybe is the mscp la... everytime must go up a least 3 levels just to get my favourite lot :oops:

Bro MCDS, u sure my ES can fetched 35k - 40k? to dealer or direct owner? cos im also thinking of offloading my ES before end of the year. any dealer u wld recommend so that i can get a quote to consider? everytime got those irritating dealer name cards on the windscreen but when i need one they seems to ve stopped distributing knn...

coke
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by coke » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 pm

woooo.... my now 5 yrs liao..aircon also got tok tok sound le... hee hee , time to do something liao. :)

Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Krado » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:25 pm

Fine Tuning wrote:Bro Krado, like u mention all wear and tear.... they are really wearing and tearing my wallet... :cry:
There's always public transport... I dun drive to work either. Orchard road is like loaded with money sucking devices.

even park at home also need to pay. ching ching ching...

But what to do? Got a car, gotta pay for the car...

They say people with simple life live longer... I say only people with simple life but lots of money can die happy...

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:15 am

Krado wrote:
Fine Tuning wrote:Bro Krado, like u mention all wear and tear.... they are really wearing and tearing my wallet... :cry:
There's always public transport... I dun drive to work either. Orchard road is like loaded with money sucking devices.

even park at home also need to pay. ching ching ching...

But what to do? Got a car, gotta pay for the car...

They say people with simple life live longer... I say only people with simple life but lots of money can die happy...
How to die happy without spending all the money you earning very hard throughout your life? Wat about me I got eight wheels to worry about.

Krado
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Krado » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:17 am

fred59 wrote: Wat about me I got eight wheels to worry about.
We all have our handicaps bro...
:cry:

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 am

My stress level definitely much higher den you
confirm. So be happy! :whistle

MCDS
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator
Civic ES/EU/EP Moderator

Post by MCDS » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 am

bro fred...

you the source of never ending inspiration.

thank you for joining the ES group...

blardy took you long enough... car so many years leow den join...

Freedom isn't Free, it costs people like you and me... Freedom costs a buck 'o five....

DaDude
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by DaDude » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 am

Want to own a car... expect to pay for it...
If you gonna park the car at home and
take public transport, than don't own one...
Most sillyporeans are like that... no money
want to have things they cannot actually
afford to. Live day to day... spend within
your means... If you earn more spend
more... earn less, spend less... Own a car,
drive it... :snooty:
ImageImage
DDM

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

MCDS wrote:bro fred...

you the source of never ending inspiration.

thank you for joining the ES group...

blardy took you long enough... car so many years leow den join...

Sure got alots of problem with the car soon like all ES bro

Can ask for help.

fred59
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fred59 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:31 am

DaDude wrote:Want to own a car... expect to pay for it...
If you gonna park the car at home and
take public transport, than don't own one...
Most sillyporeans are like that... no money
want to have things they cannot actually
afford to. Live day to day... spend within
your means... If you earn more spend
more... earn less, spend less... Own a car,
drive it... :snooty:
I agree, anyway your road tax and insurance are also pay liao
why park your car, use it to the fullest, the car suppose to serve you.

Im quite lucky my ES pass 180,000km 6yrs plus
only damage is my fan blower transistor fuse, some bulbs
and a power steering pump tats all. Hopefully the rest
dont come so soon, like mounting, suspension and bearings.

Alrdy 2nd timing belt change, kept the old water pump
for future use, still looks good. Only change my fuel
strainer once at 90,000km, did not change at 180,000.

I heard bearings is costlly. My 180,000km are mostly
long distance travell going up north most of the time
probably this cuts down alot of damage like most
of our ES bros here doing short runs in Singapore
which I think more damaging.

Habit: never lock your steering wheel doing U-turn, park with your
wheel straight and go neutral at traffic light even for 10 seconds.
This are just my habit all the while. Old car gearbox kaput around
nine years, dry shaft at six years no other damage too.

But I always change my Lubricants on the dot, drain my power steering
brake fluid quite frequently. Never change coolant cos using the
Honda pre diluted cost more, but need to top up.

See how far this car will stretch alrdy prepared for the damage.

adnoH80
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by adnoH80 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm

ES is a good car or I should say Honda is good maker. I drove the ES and only got problems to the usuall wear and tear stuff. Now, my bro is driving my ES and I have moved on to CL7R. I still love the handling of the ES but love the power of the R engine now. If only the ES had a R version, I think most "esR" drivers would be still driving it. haha :lol: