Observations made while resolving Jerk/Shudder issue

Home Of The AirwaveRs
jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Observations made while resolving Jerk/Shudder issue

Post by jengwe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi to all,

Months have passed since my 1st post on Jerk/shudder issues. I am happy to report that the Start/Stop jerks have been minimal and lesser in amplitude. The jerks experienced during engaging of AC compressor is completely gone and I rarely get the cyclical rpm drop jump symptom nowadays.

If you are reading this Post, refer to my other posts as they are all related.

I have to apologise that my initial post that changing the PCV will solve the Jerk was premature as there were a number of factors contributing to the problem. The change out of PCV and rubber grommet resolves vacuum leaks.

However through the months, I have made various critical observations as follows:

1. Stainless steelmesh Air Filters are no good. Too much gets through. This could be a contributing factor in the jamming of the IAC valve.

2. Please use Jap Sparks from NGK (NGK has rather complicated abbreviations, so refer to their cross reference table) or Denso IK20L. No funny ones from Europe or generic Iridium brands.

3. Most commonly spotted are the sparks are not sufficiently tightened. Most times, my left hand using wrist strength is enough to loosen. This will result in gas leakage which will damage the iginition coil.

4. I know a bigger battery is better, however the size 60 ones when fitted gets squeezed onto the edge of the air-box and the subsequent chafing between the plastic surfaces will cause the battery wall to thin dangerously to the point that the wall will crack and spill the acid.

In the meantime, I have progressed to experimenting with replacing both the Up and Downstream O2 sensor to study the effect on FC. Will update subsequently.

Also, I am now able to change burned out bulbs in both the AC switch and Rear Window Heater switch at the Center Console, the bulb at the Gear Shift PRNDS, bulbs at the Driver Dashboard Instrument Visor. I am also able to change Fuel Filter, Clean CVT Control Valve Block, AC Radiator Fan, Front Brake pads and Front Suspension Linkage Tie-rods.

Need help, give me a call at HP : 96808264.

jamstart
4000rpm
4000rpm

Re: Observations made while resolving Jerk/Shudder issue

Post by jamstart » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Bro, about the jerk, why didn't you suspect the ignition coil cable itself? I was told the coil cable last around 80k to 100k. Furthermore, I also heard from some other car users, both AW and non AW, after changing this coil, the problem is solved. Just my 2 cents. :) Cheers.

jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by jengwe » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Bro,

I highlighted sparks because its the cause of premature ignition coil failure.

Up till now, I have not seen a ignition coil fail from age but rather its always from heat damage resulting from loose sparks.

I personally think the ignition coil can last much longer as I have seen good coils with 160 to 180k kms mileage cars, just for the simple reason that the sparks are tight.

I have also solved "jerks" just simply by tightening sparks and still using slightly burnt coils.

You can change them if you want, but that doesn't solve the root cause and the problem will come back real soon. I for one am not willing to give my money to those that can't properly tighten sparks and by taking short cuts and not waiting till the engine has cool enough.

FYI, severely burnt coils will start by leaking charge and visible charge leak burn trails will be observed and no MIL will appear on the dashboard.

I write what I read, see and do, not what I hear.

BTW, whats your view on the use of di-electric grease?

jamstart
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by jamstart » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 pm

I am no expert in car but I read some forum elsewhere and this dielectric grease does help a little bit. Personally, i feel no harm trying. End of the day, the ignition coil is still the main culprit tat caused the jerking problem. If the grease didnt work on the existing coil, that also did not mean it is not the coil problem, every item has a lifespan though. Anyway, I intend to change all my coils since I already hit 130K liao.
The forum I read is on Honda Fit, seem like the problem didnt just happen to AW only.

jengwe
2000rpm
2000rpm

Premature failure of Iginition Coil

Post by jengwe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Bro,

your reply is akin to saying is that there is no difference in a person dying from old age and a young person dying from poisoning cause all ppl die.

Anyway, dielectric grease protects contacts from corrosion, it doesn't improve contact. Applying dielectric grease on a damaged ignition coil doesn't improve things.

Ensure long life for your ignition coils by making sure your sparks are tight.

Gerald Wu

Re: Observations made while resolving Jerk/Shudder issue

Post by Gerald Wu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi , Jengwe
After reading many of your posts , I really respect you with your knowledge of AW and also help many of the owner .
My AW (2008 Model ) also has those issues for about 2 years .
I have chosen to ignore the problems as it still can be move off but sometime with uncomfortable jerking
My worry is will this problems become worst and will let my AW break down in the middle of the road junction?
Just not to bring you any troublesome .I prefer to do it at workshop.
Do you know any trusted workshop in Singapore who have your knowledge like change PCV , cleaning TB IAC VAlve and even can repair the CVT gear box .

Thank and regard

blacktyphoon
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by blacktyphoon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:13 pm

In my own opinion....

I have met Bro Jengwe a few times. Really his knowledge is good. My millage now almost 200K...Everyday travel from Jurong to Changi Airport for the past 5 years.

Until recently 3 months ago for jerking problem. I met him and did some troubleshooting, cleaning of whole TB....problem solved 90%.

Last month, gearbox start have jerking problem also. Though die la, gearbox gone soon. But we changed 2 rounds of CVT oil. And he also took one of the block linked to transmission there for some cleaning. Problem solved again.

What i can vouch is you guys can go workshop change these change that. Why not spend maybe half a day with him let him see how can help you solve yr problem. Hey...anyway its almost FOC...(just need pay him abit for those lubricant, cotton butt he supplying to help clean) and also be prepared to get abit dirty.(clean yr own TB....check yr own spark plug etc) .What more great joy can it be where u can really get down to yr own car and solve yr problem..

nitro_heat97
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by nitro_heat97 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Happen to browse thru and saw this thread related to me too.
Having problem of jerking when moving off from 0 rpm to 3000rpm. Jerking stop after exceed 3000rpm. Spark plugs haven been changed since 2 years ago, intend to change spark plug first.