Unanswered topics Active topics

can radio quality be improved?

Share your In-Car Entertainment passion here.
BlackKnight_CM5
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by BlackKnight_CM5 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Just go to any audio shop and ask. It should range between $120 - $180 - dependent on the type of external antena you get. U can also just head down to Saab, merc to buy their their antenna and get it fixed at a local shop :wink:
Rcar wrote:Bro, where did you do the external antenna ? what was the damage ?
BlackKnight_CM5 wrote:The reason why all our Honda car's reception are soooo crappy is becos of the UV films which we have installed. It actually sort of "blocks" out the reception (at least that's what several audio installers told me). It will not solve the problem, even if U use those internal antennas like Bosch.....cos it's still blocked out by the UV films (heard that V-cool works the best...in blocking out UV plus reception!).

If U are using "upgraded" audios like Pioneer or Alpine or......the reception will be worst off as compared to OEM set HU... :roll: Also mentioned by the installers.

So after a couple of years, I finally bite the bullet and have just installed an external antenna and the reception is strong again! (only this afternoon!) However, U need to drill a hole on yr roof....it comes with rubber couplings to prevent rain sippage. Looks like a mini-BMW fin like antenna. Looks fine... :roll:

Funny...the bass seems to be stronger as well....need to turn my subwoofer volume down a lil.....now I am a happy FM man!!! :lol:

On another note, the DAB should have better quality but a good antenna is a MUST...if not, you invest in a DAB unit but sound will still be crappy.......LPPL :roll:

Rcar
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by Rcar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks Bro.

I changed to 3rd party antenna, reception was suck. Reverted back to stock antenna, reception was still not ideal, as compared to my previous car.

Seem like I am not the only person facing this antenna problem. LOL
BlackKnight_CM5 wrote:Just go to any audio shop and ask. It should range between $120 - $180 - dependent on the type of external antena you get. U can also just head down to Saab, merc to buy their their antenna and get it fixed at a local shop :wink:
BlackKnight_CM5 wrote:The reason why all our Honda car's reception are soooo crappy is becos of the UV films which we have installed. It actually sort of "blocks" out the reception (at least that's what several audio installers told me). It will not solve the problem, even if U use those internal antennas like Bosch.....cos it's still blocked out by the UV films (heard that V-cool works the best...in blocking out UV plus reception!).

If U are using "upgraded" audios like Pioneer or Alpine or......the reception will be worst off as compared to OEM set HU... :roll: Also mentioned by the installers.

So after a couple of years, I finally bite the bullet and have just installed an external antenna and the reception is strong again! (only this afternoon!) However, U need to drill a hole on yr roof....it comes with rubber couplings to prevent rain sippage. Looks like a mini-BMW fin like antenna. Looks fine... :roll:

Funny...the bass seems to be stronger as well....need to turn my subwoofer volume down a lil.....now I am a happy FM man!!! :lol:

On another note, the DAB should have better quality but a good antenna is a MUST...if not, you invest in a DAB unit but sound will still be crappy.......LPPL :roll:

BlackKnight_CM5
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by BlackKnight_CM5 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:17 pm

:?: Err.....did they pull a separate cable from the HU to the antenna? My reception improved. Those Bosch antenna that stick inside the car will NOT work cos it is still within the car blocked by the film.
Rcar wrote:Thanks Bro.

I changed to 3rd party antenna, reception was suck. Reverted back to stock antenna, reception was still not ideal, as compared to my previous car.

BlackKnight_CM5 wrote:Just go to any audio shop and ask. It should range between $120 - $180 - dependent on the type of external antena you get. U can also just head down to Saab, merc to buy their their antenna and get it fixed at a local shop :wink:

Rcar
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by Rcar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Today I went to my regular audio shop in JB to install the external antenna.

I told him I wanted to have the BMW shark fin type of antenna. He told me dont be suprised if it cost $$200 just for the antenna alone.

At the end, I installed an external antenna, installed it beside the boot.

Total damage RM$150 plus installation.

Seem like reception improved alot, sound clarity and quality.
BlackKnight_CM5 wrote::?: Err.....did they pull a separate cable from the HU to the antenna? My reception improved. Those Bosch antenna that stick inside the car will NOT work cos it is still within the car blocked by the film.

calvin_
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by calvin_ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 pm

BlackKnight_CM5 wrote::?: Err.....did they pull a separate cable from the HU to the antenna? My reception improved. Those Bosch antenna that stick inside the car will NOT work cos it is still within the car blocked by the film.

got picture?
Treat a car like a human. It needs healthy diet, care and grooming, and most importantly, exercise.

Jason8052
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut

Post by Jason8052 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm

External antenna will have better reception then internal antenna
The Feeling Never End

ChowHousehold
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Re: can radio quality be improved?

Post by ChowHousehold » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 pm

kohfred wrote:DAB stands for digital audio broadcasting. With DAB radio, you will enjoy a higher sound quality with Digital Radio. Digital radio channels you can receive are 90.5, 92.4, 93.3, 93.8, 95.0,97.2, 98.7 and 99.5. On top of that, you can receive another five DAB-only stations namely Cruise, Club Play, JK-Pop, Chinese Evergreen and Planet Bollywood.

The device looks similar to a portable gps. It can work with all headunits either through fm transmitter or aux in (preferred).

Cars using Bosch antenna should have better quality as compared to stock.

Feel free to call me at 97813868 for all your DAB and car audio enquiries. Thank you for your interests.
Bro,

Sounds interesting. May be worth investing in it if it is transferable to another ride in future. Do you have to install another antenna outside the car? Would you be able to upload some pics of completed works? Thanks in advance!
"Don't bother blasting your horns at Road Hogs! Just BLAST your speakers and FLOOR your Accelerator!"