Unanswered topics Active topics

New owner to 2nd hand Honda Civic 1.8A required assistance

New Civic model year 2006 onwards
b3n5on
Idling
Idling

New owner to 2nd hand Honda Civic 1.8A required assistance

Post by b3n5on » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Yeah I know it is a mouth full, but recently I am the new owner to a Honda Civic 1.8A, 2007 model (hence i assumed it is the FD/ FN model?)

The car still has the 3 year warranty with Kah Motor though it is ending in a few months.

So far I already found a problem with the CD changer, which I managed to get it changed in Kah Motor without charges.

Need to ask what other common errors or faults I should check so that I can get replacement with Kah Motor with no or little cost?

The car is running smoothly, though when idling, there is a sudden knock (or vibration) the rpm meter doesnt move. I check with the Kah Motor technician, he mentioned it is normal as the aircon operating.

is it true?

Also when I stop at the traffic light, the brake pad will soften after a while, is this common?

Tks in advance

roadrunner
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by roadrunner » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:21 am

Its FD's. A simple search will do you wonder.

eeee78
SHC Die Hard!!!
SHC Die Hard!!!

Post by eeee78 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:53 am

One of the major problem for the FD is the stock integrated HU CD changer.
Mine stuck twice before I gave up on it and changed to a aftermarket DVD HU.

It is normal that the brake pedal sink in abit after u stop.
TCSS Emperor!
讲鸟è¯

Nathan
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 pm

My head units got the same problem, got it change before the expiry of warranty.
SSBH will make the difference in term of braking.

b3n5on
Idling
Idling

Post by b3n5on » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:14 pm

tks guys... yeah the brake pad soften a little when the car stop for idling.

I heard from other Civic users that the disc changers is prone to failure.

side track, was at Honda showroom just now and the price of the new civic (same as mine but with facelift) now cost a whopping 110k! (74k plus 39k COE)

sghonda
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by sghonda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:57 am

eeee78 wrote:One of the major problem for the FD is the stock integrated HU CD changer.

How much the damage for changing to after market DVD?

sghonda
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by sghonda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:02 am

b3n5on wrote:tks guys... yeah the brake pad soften a little when the car stop for idling.

I heard from other Civic users that the disc changers is prone to failure.

side track, was at Honda showroom just now and the price of the new civic (same as mine but with facelift) now cost a whopping 110k! (74k plus 39k COE)
my FD same year as yours also same problem that you have mentioned except for CD changer. Maybe it's time to keep playing CD n let it spoil before warranty expires.... Hehe

I got my engine mounting replaced for free at KM.

eeee78
SHC Die Hard!!!
SHC Die Hard!!!

Post by eeee78 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:16 pm

sghonda wrote:
eeee78 wrote:One of the major problem for the FD is the stock integrated HU CD changer.

How much the damage for changing to after market DVD?
The brackets and panel is around $100+
The DVD hu $ depend on your preference.
TCSS Emperor!
讲鸟è¯

b3n5on
Idling
Idling

Post by b3n5on » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm

sghonda mentioned engine mounting replacement, what happened? how can engine mounting has issue?

Any other common issues I should look out for, 3 years warranty ending soon, so better drag to KM to repair before that.

@ eeee78
you can buy aftermarket sound system? I thought the aircon control and clock is inbuilt inside?

where can i get the brackets and panel?

eeee78
SHC Die Hard!!!
SHC Die Hard!!!

Post by eeee78 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:37 am

b3n5on wrote:sghonda mentioned engine mounting replacement, what happened? how can engine mounting has issue?

Any other common issues I should look out for, 3 years warranty ending soon, so better drag to KM to repair before that.

@ eeee78
you can buy aftermarket sound system? I thought the aircon control and clock is inbuilt inside?

You can get the panel at Thian Seng at Waterloo street.
Some audio shop might have it also.

The FD4 (1.6) does not come with the integrated HU, u will need to purchase the panel similar to it.
TCSS Emperor!
讲鸟è¯

sghonda
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by sghonda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

b3n5on wrote:sghonda mentioned engine mounting replacement, what happened? how can engine mounting has issue?

@ eeee78

the engine mounting has worn out n it created loud noise esp after a cold start. There was vibration n noise. After getting it replaced at KM for free this problem was resolved.

cscs3
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by cscs3 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Check the 2 headlight and look carefully if there is a cloudly spot near the top side of the housing. Get it changed if you have it on your model.

Also the engine mounting is a common problem to this model. Do have it changed before warranty gone.

b3n5on
Idling
Idling

Post by b3n5on » Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 am

thank you to all that replied.

Went over to Kah Motors to do some checking as early morning, when starting engine, there is a louder engine noise, not too annoying and the noise goes away once i start driving.

The engineer said that my engine bracket was too low, and hitting on the body, hence the noise.

i asked to fix it since it is still within warranty, he checked my record and said that as the previous owner only did until 20K servicing with them (so what's new), and my car is over 55k, that's not covered under warranty.

I tried to argue a little but he insisted that that's the regulation.

I asked what can be done, he proposed i redo the 40K servicing with them and they may consider waiving off the engine bracket cost (amounting to $200plus)

However the 40k servicing cost a whopping $500 plus!!!

I dont whether should I do that 40k servicing (as i assume the previous owner did that) or look for other servicing center.

Though my fren did say that letting the Kah Motor to do a thorough check and fix everything when I am still under warranty.

what's your comment on this?

turbobumblebee
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by turbobumblebee » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am

eeee78 wrote:

@ eeee78

You can get the panel at Thian Seng at Waterloo street.
Some audio shop might have it also.

The FD4 (1.6) does not come with the integrated HU, u will need to purchase the panel similar to it.
Can the button on the steering still be used after the conversion to after market HU?

CivicR
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by CivicR » Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 am

b3n5on wrote:thank you to all that replied.

Went over to Kah Motors to do some checking as early morning, when starting engine, there is a louder engine noise, not too annoying and the noise goes away once i start driving.

The engineer said that my engine bracket was too low, and hitting on the body, hence the noise.

i asked to fix it since it is still within warranty, he checked my record and said that as the previous owner only did until 20K servicing with them (so what's new), and my car is over 55k, that's not covered under warranty.

I tried to argue a little but he insisted that that's the regulation.

I asked what can be done, he proposed i redo the 40K servicing with them and they may consider waiving off the engine bracket cost (amounting to $200plus)

However the 40k servicing cost a whopping $500 plus!!!

I dont whether should I do that 40k servicing (as i assume the previous owner did that) or look for other servicing center.

Though my fren did say that letting the Kah Motor to do a thorough check and fix everything when I am still under warranty.

what's your comment on this?
U are not the previous owner, I don't see why this is your fault, now as the current owner of the vehicle they should honour the warranty. I don't agreed with this explanation.