Unanswered topics Active topics

5th gear open vtec no acceleration.

Civic model year 1980 - 2000
User avatar
Emperorcivic
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut
Posts: 3055
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by Emperorcivic » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Will_SG wrote:All stumped by the symptoms! Very interesting problem ;p
lol.
i suspect the problem is quite a simple problem but TS described it wrongly?

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Emperorcivic wrote:
Will_SG wrote:All stumped by the symptoms! Very interesting problem ;p
lol.
i suspect the problem is quite a simple problem but TS described it wrongly?
Nope its exactly like i described....

Just went to workshop. presumely do top overhaul. When open, Indeed head gasket cui.... so went ahead skim and change new one. just when they try to screw back the head onto the block and reassemble back, 2 out of 10 screws cannot be tightened properly.

GG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotto change new block ! $$$$$$$$ gone.......

anything to take note while my mech doing changing the block ? like what other things to take note of ?

I just worried that when changing block, more things found to be inservicable.... zzz

User avatar
Will_SG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am
Location: SGP North
Contact:

Post by Will_SG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:01 am

ethene wrote:
Emperorcivic wrote:
Will_SG wrote:All stumped by the symptoms! Very interesting problem ;p
lol.
i suspect the problem is quite a simple problem but TS described it wrongly?
Nope its exactly like i described....

Just went to workshop. presumely do top overhaul. When open, Indeed head gasket cui.... so went ahead skim and change new one. just when they try to screw back the head onto the block and reassemble back, 2 out of 10 screws cannot be tightened properly.

GG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotto change new block ! $$$$$$$$ gone.......

anything to take note while my mech doing changing the block ? like what other things to take note of ?

I just worried that when changing block, more things found to be inservicable.... zzz
I think it will not solve your problem. (But good to do that since your engine is in bad shape). Anyway, keep us updated.

Just change block or overhaul also?

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 am

Guys, I am back to update my case and hope that other bros can use it as reference.

Did a full engine overhaul. changed a new block skim everything. Now, the loss of coolant water issues are gone. engine doesnt eat engine oil as well. changed new fuel injectors, engine so much more responsive and 'powerful' compared to last time.

However, the problem mentioned in this topic still happens... just that now it is not that bad. same power loss problem persist but now only happens at higher speed like 160 km/h. And it happens randomly. Sometimes no problem sometimes 160km/h the loss of power. It is just like power cut. Since it is a totally new overhauled engine I have really no idea what could be the problem... (NOTE: Above speed is done on safe race track only)

Secondly, the engine jerking problem also persist..... workshop say cannot solve the problem. keep saying is electrical issue. I tried videoing the jerking problem but engine too loud cannot see or hear the jerk in the video.

spent so much on overhauling and thought can kill all these problem at once but i was wrong. Verge of giving up.

:(

User avatar
YEN96
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Post by YEN96 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 am

which workshop ??

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:03 pm

YEN96 wrote:which workshop ??

HV

User avatar
YEN96
9000rpm Rev Cut
9000rpm Rev Cut
Posts: 2682
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Post by YEN96 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

How much was your bill ? When u send car to them, wat did u want them to do ? Any quotation before they start and wat the will do

On wat basis, did u send car to them ? walk-in customer or fren introduce u ? If u r Sgp plate there is always this inconvenience and disadvantage. The risk is there.

Wat electrical issue ? Can they confidently point out the problem ? Wirings or wat ? There is no problem that cannot solve ...only need to take time and spend money.

User avatar
Will_SG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am
Location: SGP North
Contact:

Post by Will_SG » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm

ethene wrote:Guys, I am back to update my case and hope that other bros can use it as reference.

Did a full engine overhaul. changed a new block skim everything. Now, the loss of coolant water issues are gone. engine doesnt eat engine oil as well. changed new fuel injectors, engine so much more responsive and 'powerful' compared to last time.

However, the problem mentioned in this topic still happens... just that now it is not that bad. same power loss problem persist but now only happens at higher speed like 160 km/h. And it happens randomly. Sometimes no problem sometimes 160km/h the loss of power. It is just like power cut. Since it is a totally new overhauled engine I have really no idea what could be the problem... (NOTE: Above speed is done on safe race track only)

Secondly, the engine jerking problem also persist..... workshop say cannot solve the problem. keep saying is electrical issue. I tried videoing the jerking problem but engine too loud cannot see or hear the jerk in the video.

spent so much on overhauling and thought can kill all these problem at once but i was wrong. Verge of giving up.

:(
The jerking and power loss does sound like electrical problem.
Sensor, ECU or just tuning issues.

Any when does the engine jerk? Any programmable ECU or piggy back?
Did any sensor replacement?

pokerface
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 am

Post by pokerface » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:49 am

beside bro Will_SG mentioned, have they check on distributor current leakage as well? There is no consistance behaviour to be able to trace.

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Initially when just start car no jerking issue... Only when like driving for a while then when I idling at traffic light or something then random jerking started to occur.

I notice that Jerking is more frequent when air con is switched on.

When idling and the engine jerks randomly, I rev a little to keep rpm up a little, there will not be any jerking.

Distributor checked no prob..

User avatar
Will_SG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am
Location: SGP North
Contact:

Post by Will_SG » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 pm

ethene wrote:Initially when just start car no jerking issue... Only when like driving for a while then when I idling at traffic light or something then random jerking started to occur.

I notice that Jerking is more frequent when air con is switched on.

When idling and the engine jerks randomly, I rev a little to keep rpm up a little, there will not be any jerking.

Distributor checked no prob..
Eh.. long shot. Tried cleaning the IACV? I guess when u say jerking is the rpm jump up and down?

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Will_SG wrote:
ethene wrote:Initially when just start car no jerking issue... Only when like driving for a while then when I idling at traffic light or something then random jerking started to occur.

I notice that Jerking is more frequent when air con is switched on.

When idling and the engine jerks randomly, I rev a little to keep rpm up a little, there will not be any jerking.

Distributor checked no prob..
Eh.. long shot. Tried cleaning the IACV? I guess when u say jerking is the rpm jump up and down?

ive done that before. The rpm jump up and down issue is different from this. When the engine jerk, i can feel it in the car one. nothing wrong with the rpm at all.

User avatar
Will_SG
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am
Location: SGP North
Contact:

Post by Will_SG » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:45 am

ethene wrote:
Will_SG wrote:
ethene wrote:Initially when just start car no jerking issue... Only when like driving for a while then when I idling at traffic light or something then random jerking started to occur.

I notice that Jerking is more frequent when air con is switched on.

When idling and the engine jerks randomly, I rev a little to keep rpm up a little, there will not be any jerking.

Distributor checked no prob..
Eh.. long shot. Tried cleaning the IACV? I guess when u say jerking is the rpm jump up and down?

ive done that before. The rpm jump up and down issue is different from this. When the engine jerk, i can feel it in the car one. nothing wrong with the rpm at all.
So u mean, the engine just jerk but rpm no change?

ethene
4000rpm
4000rpm
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Post by ethene » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:12 am

Will_SG wrote:
ethene wrote:
Will_SG wrote: Eh.. long shot. Tried cleaning the IACV? I guess when u say jerking is the rpm jump up and down?

ive done that before. The rpm jump up and down issue is different from this. When the engine jerk, i can feel it in the car one. nothing wrong with the rpm at all.
So u mean, the engine just jerk but rpm no change?
Yep....... if i squat behind my exhaust, can hear *putt* *putt* sound as it jerk....

Loner4eva
1000rpm
1000rpm
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Post by Loner4eva » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:01 am

ethene wrote:
Will_SG wrote:
ethene wrote:
ive done that before. The rpm jump up and down issue is different from this. When the engine jerk, i can feel it in the car one. nothing wrong with the rpm at all.
So u mean, the engine just jerk but rpm no change?
Yep....... if i squat behind my exhaust, can hear *putt* *putt* sound as it jerk....
TS , i also exprience engine jerking when in 5th gear at above 140km/h the worst jerking part is when you on VTEC on 5th gear and suddenly releasing the gas pedal.

What exhuast you using btw?

Post Reply