Unanswered topics Active topics

Short shifter??

Home Of The Accordians
billsan
4000rpm
4000rpm

Short shifter??

Post by billsan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Any bro here have any experienced in short shifter?? Is it a waste of money?? Currently i dont like my stock euro r shifter.. I find it too long

lfwd15
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Short shifter??

Post by lfwd15 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 pm

billsan wrote:Any bro here have any experienced in short shifter?? Is it a waste of money?? Currently i dont like my stock euro r shifter.. I find it too long
it depends on individual...Since you drive a R, I'm sure you'll play wif it once a while so gettin a short shifter wil get you shift into the gears faster but downside is it is also stiffer as compared to stock.
there are many brands that you can try.

Spoon, mugen, comptech, just to name a few.

Do a search. you'll get some answers.
Learning is a journey. There's never an end to it. ;)

zy_w
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zy_w » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:55 pm

yes, it wont be as smooth as stock shifter.

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I have used both the Phase short shifter and the Mugen, and tried the spoon short shifter as well, all of them shift well so I dont really agree that they are not as smooth as stock. the Phase and Mugen ones, from what I know came from Honda 'stock', after which they shorten some parts to get the effect, so technically they are the same. Maybe the installer didnt do a good job?

Just my 2 cents. I am using Mugen BTW and kept my trusty Phase :wink:
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

zy_w
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zy_w » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 pm

i dont know why my mugen short shifter will give a small knocking sound when engaging gears, and its stiffer compared to stock. I've tried stock ones, its really very smooth compared to mine.

previously i drove dc5 with mugen short shifter, i also encounter the same thing.

So i thought it was normal..

fivelement
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by fivelement » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Does it need to be oiled at the joints?
I also feel that it get stuck at gear 1 or/and 3.
Slow is Smooth.... Smooth is Fast.....

billsan
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by billsan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am

I'm planning to get Spoon or Mugen short shifter.. I dont like my stock shifter n i've made a few mis-gear with the stock one when i was having fun wit my car :S.. Just me being noob. My fren also advice me nt to change coz it wont b as smooth as stock.. But after taking sometime to get use to it, it should be alrite rite??? Thanks

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:15 pm

go ahead and change....no problems, all the difficult to shift are probably due to gearbox oil never change or the syncro mesh.

I have used neuspeed then spoon then mugen then back to neuspeed...all no problems...in fact i find spoon and mugen too smooth until i dont know if i have engage the gears or not, thats why i went back to neuspeed.

from my memory...neuspeed is a adaptor add on only, i think it has the shortest throw and becos its only an adaptor, the stick will be still slanted.

Spoon/Phase is smooth, the spacing between 3 and 5, 4 n 6 are quite close so you will tend to shift into the wrong gears for sure...need to relearn the shifting but once you get a hang of it...very smooth...effortless.

Mugen also very smooth...from 4 to 5 is quite far compared to Spoon/Phase, spacing also close together, need to learn the shifting again. as usual, pracctice makes perfect. the stick is shorter to spoon/phase thus for taller/ bigger size drivers as your legs are longer, you will tend to sit further back thus with a shorter gearstick, your arms will tend to hit the arm rest when shifting.

thats the main reason why i changed back to neuspeed...as mugen to uncomfortable for my arms and these are too smooth for me, prefer neuspeed as i can feel the gears going into the correct slots and the click feeling...simillar to STI gear shift feeling.

hifi1
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by hifi1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:30 am

Like that tempt me to change back to Phase hehehehe from my old man memory, phase a bit shorter throw than Mugen but I too lazy to change my Mugen back to Phase... Maybe will do that during next service :wink:
Why everything I like I cannot afford and LTA cannot passed?

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 pm

hifi1 wrote:Like that tempt me to change back to Phase hehehehe from my old man memory, phase a bit shorter throw than Mugen but I too lazy to change my Mugen back to Phase... Maybe will do that during next service :wink:
yes, Spoon/Phase in my view is better then mugen...the throw is surely shorter then mugen and the height of the stick is just nice.

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Bimmer wrote:
hifi1 wrote:Like that tempt me to change back to Phase hehehehe from my old man memory, phase a bit shorter throw than Mugen but I too lazy to change my Mugen back to Phase... Maybe will do that during next service :wink:
yes, Spoon/Phase in my view is better then mugen...the throw is surely shorter then mugen and the height of the stick is just nice.
Or go back to stock lah!!! :wink: But really no point to remod for those of us who are keeping the car -- should save $$ for wear and tear AND for the possible scenario of having to renew COE if I can't afford anything fun to drive in 2014.
ImageImageImage

lfwd15
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by lfwd15 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

ml2spin wrote:
Bimmer wrote:
Or go back to stock lah!!! :wink: But really no point to remod for those of us who are keeping the car -- should save $$ for wear and tear AND for the possible scenario of having to renew COE if I can't afford anything fun to drive in 2014.
Hee... yup. at the last 2 months price, I already have tots to renew my COE liao. By then our rides will be a head-turner and rare on the roads...

Yipee!!! :lol: :lol:
Learning is a journey. There's never an end to it. ;)

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

ml2spin wrote:
Bimmer wrote:
hahha...100% no more modding.....enuff of re-modding liao. going to keep the car for sure...by then see how lar...maybe by then my left foot no more strength liao...

Bimmer
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Bimmer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 pm

lfwd15 wrote:
Hee... yup. at the last 2 months price, I already have tots to renew my COE liao. By then our rides will be a head-turner and rare on the roads...

huh...how to renew? based on last 3 mths...the COE easily 65K....then you add in your parf...the car going to cost 85K. At 8.5K/yr dep...may not be a good idea. but again...hard to find a car like CL7R at 8.5K/yr dep now also.

Even jetta is 11K/yr dep...:lol: :lol:

ml2spin
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by ml2spin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Bimmer wrote:
lfwd15 wrote:

huh...how to renew? based on last 3 mths...the COE easily 65K....then you add in your parf...the car going to cost 85K. At 8.5K/yr dep...may not be a good idea. but again...hard to find a car like CL7R at 8.5K/yr dep now also.

Even jetta is 11K/yr dep...:lol: :lol:
He's talking about the end of 10 years first.
ImageImageImage