Unanswered topics Active topics

Honda Accord CM4/5 mainly (Stories, mods, meetups...)

Home Of The Accordians
siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Honda Accord

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:58 am

EKen4 wrote:
I agree that Bridgestones are tyres which we pay for what we get. They are usually more costly, but they are worth the prices too. I used to have a set of Pirellis P-Zeros. They were reasonably good performers, but I found them over-rated in the wet. I have not used Michelins before though. I agree at times, Yokohamas do not really perform up to expectations, as was with the ES100 which i used for only about 6 months before i decided the lack of dry grip was simply too bad. It was very good in the wet though, especially in its ability to disperse puddles of water. I'm now on Yokohamas Advan Neovas though, excellent in the dry and commendable in the wet, but they are not tyres suitable for the luxurious Accord though; the noise levels are rather high.

Disappointingly, the Aussies do not favour Hondas in general. None of the rental companys had Hondas as options. Honda seems to suffer from a very bad image there. Their favourite brand there is Toyota and Ford. I even tried getting a Holden, but too bad they weren't for rent as well. 75AUD is just about the minimum I would pay. Anything lower, and we could only get an entry level Hyundai Accent, not a car I want to travel hundreds of km with. haha! New Zealand has never been high on the wish-list anyway.

Tanly is at Waterloo Street, very near to the famous Kwan Yin Temple.

I would think you have a better buy in the Accord. $ for comfort, $ for performance, $ for practicality, the Accord wins hands down. haha!
So when are you planning your trip downunder? May I suppose. Well drive carefully. Though racism is not rampant there, there are still incidents which is best forgotten. My friend was driving through the town and was admiring the buildings when he stopped abruptly at a traffic junction but because he was distracted, the car crossed slightly over the pedestrian crossing lane. The locals who crossed weren't too happy. Suddenly he heard a loud bang behind. Apparently some unhappy folks used a heavy instrument and whacked my friend's car boot lid, leaving a deep dent. So maybe it pays to have a more solid car like the magma.

There are so many articles written on car prices these days. Read today's article by Christopher Tan? Seems like COE may drop in the long run, according to his analysis, once people start to get over this initial euphoria over the ARF cut. Do you know if the ARF cut applies to car that has not been registered ? or should it be linked to when you get the COE? I tend to think the registration date should be used to determine if you're entitled to the reduced ARF rate, but KM told me otherwise. Of course, whatever they say, I usually take it with heaps of salt. Better to do your homework than be sorry.

Bob's delivery has been delayed. Seems like he's not going to get his accord in mid Mar. I probably should perish the thought that I'll get mine in mid April either. Thankfully I still have my faithful old sunny.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:15 am

steppy wrote:Hi SiewSS - Great to see you taking the thread from the old forum to here. I am now known as Steppy..Have been very busy with business trips and just got back from Thailand.... And I do have the confirmed prices of the kits from onr of the shops in thailand...here it is:-

Fog lights pair - B12,150 - S$528
rear spolier - B6,277 - S$272
front spoiler - B8480 - S$368
(ex rate S$1 = B23)

As you can see, the cost of the spoliers are really much more attractive when compared to the one sold here. However what i am not really sure is the finish of the spoilers....are they painted or we have to spray it ourselves? (I was too busy and forgot to get my assistant to ask!)

I am going up again end march......if we do a group buy, we maybe able to share the cost of frieght as well as secure a better deal for spray painting and installation!

Guys let me know!
Hi Steppy, thanks for doing this work. You're right, the price of the frontlip is indeed attractive. I wouldn't mind going if that's the price including the paint job. I think installation shouldn't be more than S$20 here. But let's consider the total cost including the part, the spray job, the freight, the installation, which may come up to more than S$500. KM quoted me S$600. If you can ask your assistant to check the total cost, that would help us to decide whether to go ahead. Maybe we should set a threshold of say S$400. Anything above I think is not worth the hassle.

Bob, will you be interested?

Perhaps a better way is to drive your car all the way there for a holiday and get the frontlip fixed! Strange that the foglamps are actually more costly than KM's. Do you know if it's possible to install these parts in Malaysia?
siewss

steppy
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by steppy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Siew - I will check the details out by next week...As i always travel light, (no checkin luggage) and depending on the packing of the front lip, I might be be able to 'check-in' 1-2 pcs when come back...chances are i might be buying the rear deck spoiler too...i will see how...

IN anycase, are u aware that when the rear spoiler is attached, would the boot still 'open' in the normal way i.e. ajar when it u open it using the remote key? Seems that in the US, we need to replace the spring for the boot when a spolier is being fitted...how about here?

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:13 am

siewss wrote:So when are you planning your trip downunder? May I suppose. Well drive carefully. Though racism is not rampant there, there are still incidents which is best forgotten. My friend was driving through the town and was admiring the buildings when he stopped abruptly at a traffic junction but because he was distracted, the car crossed slightly over the pedestrian crossing lane. The locals who crossed weren't too happy. Suddenly he heard a loud bang behind. Apparently some unhappy folks used a heavy instrument and whacked my friend's car boot lid, leaving a deep dent. So maybe it pays to have a more solid car like the magma.

There are so many articles written on car prices these days. Read today's article by Christopher Tan? Seems like COE may drop in the long run, according to his analysis, once people start to get over this initial euphoria over the ARF cut. Do you know if the ARF cut applies to car that has not been registered ? or should it be linked to when you get the COE? I tend to think the registration date should be used to determine if you're entitled to the reduced ARF rate, but KM told me otherwise. Of course, whatever they say, I usually take it with heaps of salt. Better to do your homework than be sorry.

Bob's delivery has been delayed. Seems like he's not going to get his accord in mid Mar. I probably should perish the thought that I'll get mine in mid April either. Thankfully I still have my faithful old sunny.
If any, we should hopefully be making the trip mid-april, and come back before may. Then it's down to job searching again, in full force. Yar, I have also heard plenty about the notorious racism that exists in the otherwise seemingly friendly Aussie community. My cousin has been working and staying there for the past years, and he has had his fair share of racial discrimination. But to be fair, he says there are very nice people around too.

The recent round of policy changes and annoucement of excess COEs till 2005 have somewhat thrown me a bit off balance. As my exams and deadlines draws nearer, I don't really follow the happenings nowadays. But I vaguely remember one of my friend mentioning that the ARF cut is dependent on the date of registration. Perhaps I shall check with him again, and let you know. Meanwhile, think you can check with more people too. By the way, who in KM told you that? The sales exec again?

gosh, i hope the delay isn't too long. It is very frustrating to hear that the car is due for delivery, and then only to be delayed yet again. Yar, at least you still have your Sunny now. I guess that's the only advantage of trading in the car to the dealership. Otherwise, you would have been left with the options of a rental car or no car at all!

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

delivery of Accord

Post by bobaccord » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:53 am

Hi all

CHeck with my SE and the first delivery of accord has not even arrived yet. It is already mid March and perhaps the ship is still stuck in THailand and waiting for delivery of the Accord....

I will go to Bkk in mid April to check on the spare parts again.

zakuii
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zakuii » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:25 pm

siewss wrote:
EKen4 wrote:
I agree that Bridgestones are tyres which we pay for what we get. They are usually more costly, but they are worth the prices too. I used to have a set of Pirellis P-Zeros. They were reasonably good performers, but I found them over-rated in the wet. I have not used Michelins before though. I agree at times, Yokohamas do not really perform up to expectations, as was with the ES100 which i used for only about 6 months before i decided the lack of dry grip was simply too bad. It was very good in the wet though, especially in its ability to disperse puddles of water. I'm now on Yokohamas Advan Neovas though, excellent in the dry and commendable in the wet, but they are not tyres suitable for the luxurious Accord though; the noise levels are rather high.

Disappointingly, the Aussies do not favour Hondas in general. None of the rental companys had Hondas as options. Honda seems to suffer from a very bad image there. Their favourite brand there is Toyota and Ford. I even tried getting a Holden, but too bad they weren't for rent as well. 75AUD is just about the minimum I would pay. Anything lower, and we could only get an entry level Hyundai Accent, not a car I want to travel hundreds of km with. haha! New Zealand has never been high on the wish-list anyway.

Tanly is at Waterloo Street, very near to the famous Kwan Yin Temple.

I would think you have a better buy in the Accord. $ for comfort, $ for performance, $ for practicality, the Accord wins hands down. haha!
So when are you planning your trip downunder? May I suppose. Well drive carefully. Though racism is not rampant there, there are still incidents which is best forgotten. My friend was driving through the town and was admiring the buildings when he stopped abruptly at a traffic junction but because he was distracted, the car crossed slightly over the pedestrian crossing lane. The locals who crossed weren't too happy. Suddenly he heard a loud bang behind. Apparently some unhappy folks used a heavy instrument and whacked my friend's car boot lid, leaving a deep dent. So maybe it pays to have a more solid car like the magma.

On the contrary, i think cat b coe will go up with the cut. from apr onwards, there will be 200+ cat b coe less per mth. whereas for cat a coe, there is an increase of 400+ per mth, so this will surely push the coe down, thus making the car more affordable.

i think the govt. intention is to make entry level cars more affordable so that people who aspire to own a car will be happy because it is now within their reach. i heard an accent nowadays is only $50k w/ coe? whereas for cat b, usually the richer and richest will bid here. so with the limited coe, these people, especially the very rich who wants the latest and greatest merz or beemer or juager will not hesistate to pay more, thus jacking up the coe.

in the end, who will benefit the most? the govt, no surprises. as more people owns car, the singapore economy will move as well. insurance company will have business. banks will have business. petrol companies will have business. repair shops will have business. govt. coffers will grow from road tax, erp, etc...

as for the new arf, i did hear the DPM mention on tv that it applies to car that is successful from the march coe bidding onwards.

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Wait Wait wait

Post by bobaccord » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:27 am

Hi Siewss

Been slightly buzy with the end of FY03; must present budgets, performance, recommendations etc. And finally finish my FY04 budget...

I am not committing anything at the moment until I get my car.... if I ever get my car! Just call my SE again, and nope... no accord arrives on the shores of singapore...

Mine is February productiona and KM said the batch should arrive by mid march...

Anyway, i am away in S. Korea and then KL so not too bad that i do not collect the car... i will go up to BKK this mid april and check out the prices again... I kind of like the back spoiler.... but the front spoiler may be too costly...

Perhaps in JB, there may be some alternatives.... but no hurry

For my June holiday trip, i aint going to KL anymore... looking for a nice beach resort though... Have been to Langkawi, desaru, Kuantan, penang, but any more recommendation? YOu mentioned about trengganu, anything there... i want to DRIVE there, you probably know the reason, to test the accord...

still driving the old corona and sigh... looking at all the fast accord zoom past by... really envy... the wait better be worth it... this is the longest wait for a new car... perhaps should have taken other colors when I book the accord then i will be driving it by now... but on the other hand, w/o the black, it is not sleek and sporty....

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

FINALLY

Post by bobaccord » Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:06 am

Hi Siews

Finally my car arrives in Singapore.. i wonder how many here has been informed by your SE?

Have arranged to collect the car 1st week of april, since i will be travelling.

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:33 pm

zakuii wrote:
On the contrary, i think cat b coe will go up with the cut. from apr onwards, there will be 200+ cat b coe less per mth. whereas for cat a coe, there is an increase of 400+ per mth, so this will surely push the coe down, thus making the car more affordable.

i think the govt. intention is to make entry level cars more affordable so that people who aspire to own a car will be happy because it is now within their reach. i heard an accent nowadays is only $50k w/ coe? whereas for cat b, usually the richer and richest will bid here. so with the limited coe, these people, especially the very rich who wants the latest and greatest merz or beemer or juager will not hesistate to pay more, thus jacking up the coe.

in the end, who will benefit the most? the govt, no surprises. as more people owns car, the singapore economy will move as well. insurance company will have business. banks will have business. petrol companies will have business. repair shops will have business. govt. coffers will grow from road tax, erp, etc...

as for the new arf, i did hear the DPM mention on tv that it applies to car that is successful from the march coe bidding onwards.
From the way the COE quotas are allocated, I'm sure your prediction is right. In a way, I think maybe I secured my COE at the lowest point. However, I'm still not very convinced that the ARF reduction follows the COE and not the time of registration, because I fail to see why COE has any bearing towards taxation policy changes. The car is only taxed when the car is brought in and not before, so securing the COE earlier shouldn't be the deciding point. I wanted to read more about this in onemotoring.com but couldn't find any articles or relevant links. If you know where I can find this info, I would be most grateful if you can point me to it. I'm not going to allow KM to earn the tax savings that rightly belongs to the purchasers.
siewss

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

COE/ Lower parf

Post by bobaccord » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:13 pm

Hi Siewss

Perhaps we should write to AAS... they should hv sufficient authority to clarify this...

We should find out first, as 2molo i am going down to KM to register my Accord... it is HERE!!!

But will collect on the 1st week of April

kardtoon
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by kardtoon » Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:48 pm

siewss wrote:
zakuii wrote:

From the way the COE quotas are allocated, I'm sure your prediction is right. In a way, I think maybe I secured my COE at the lowest point. However, I'm still not very convinced that the ARF reduction follows the COE and not the time of registration, because I fail to see why COE has any bearing towards taxation policy changes. The car is only taxed when the car is brought in and not before, so securing the COE earlier shouldn't be the deciding point. I wanted to read more about this in onemotoring.com but couldn't find any articles or relevant links. If you know where I can find this info, I would be most grateful if you can point me to it. I'm not going to allow KM to earn the tax savings that rightly belongs to the purchasers.
Hi Siewss,

I did understand from the announcement that it's based on when the COE is allocated rather than the registration. I don't think KM can get away with charging you a higher price and then benefiting from a lower ARF because the ARF % is printed on the vehicle log card.

Hope this helps.

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Wait Wait wait

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:02 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi Siewss

Been slightly buzy with the end of FY03; must present budgets, performance, recommendations etc. And finally finish my FY04 budget...

I am not committing anything at the moment until I get my car.... if I ever get my car! Just call my SE again, and nope... no accord arrives on the shores of singapore...

Mine is February productiona and KM said the batch should arrive by mid march...

Anyway, i am away in S. Korea and then KL so not too bad that i do not collect the car... i will go up to BKK this mid april and check out the prices again... I kind of like the back spoiler.... but the front spoiler may be too costly...

Perhaps in JB, there may be some alternatives.... but no hurry

For my June holiday trip, i aint going to KL anymore... looking for a nice beach resort though... Have been to Langkawi, desaru, Kuantan, penang, but any more recommendation? YOu mentioned about trengganu, anything there... i want to DRIVE there, you probably know the reason, to test the accord...

still driving the old corona and sigh... looking at all the fast accord zoom past by... really envy... the wait better be worth it... this is the longest wait for a new car... perhaps should have taken other colors when I book the accord then i will be driving it by now... but on the other hand, w/o the black, it is not sleek and sporty....
Hi Bob, I just came back from China after a 5 days business trip, and left for Cameron highland with my family immediately the next morning. Started at 5.30pm and took me 6.5 hours to reach the mountain top. Thankfully my wife helped to drive the mundane leg between KL to Tapah, else I will probably fall asleep at the wheels. Not sure if I got a ticket, but I was cruising at 140 to 150kmh to keep myself awake till day break at 7am. That really helped to cut down the trip time. I was also glad that it's election time, because the tourist numbers dropped by a third. The weather wasn't all that cold, at just below 20 deg C, but we enjoyed the cool fresh mountain air anyhow, especially in the morning and evening. All the same, we are glad to be back.

I've been told that my car has also arrived. But I want to ascertain if I'm entitled to the ARF reduction since I have not registered the car yet. I think I'll probably collect the car in Apr as well since I'm not in a real hurry. I would like the registration plate to start from SFH though.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: COE/ Lower parf

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:19 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi Siewss

Perhaps we should write to AAS... they should hv sufficient authority to clarify this...

We should find out first, as 2molo i am going down to KM to register my Accord... it is HERE!!!

But will collect on the 1st week of April
Bob, just my 2 cents worth - it' better to register the car as close to the collection date as possible. That's because the moment the car is registered, that's when you're officially the owner of the car and the depreciation starts at that point. Our accord will depreciate by almost S$1000 per month, so if your delivery is 1 week Apr, that's about 10 days away, which means S$333 depreciation for you, unless you post-date your registration to end Mar. I was told by my SE that the delivery date should be at most 2 days from the date of registration. Last time my Chariot was delivered 1 week after registration, C&C gave me a S$300 workshop voucher, because I made some noise.

You're right, I will check with AAS as well as LTA (if I can get through their hotline). Their email service is like a black hole - takes in mail but doesn't spit out answers.

Happy delivery!! Speaking for myself too.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:32 pm

kardtoon wrote:
siewss wrote:
zakuii wrote:

Hi Siewss,

I did understand from the announcement that it's based on when the COE is allocated rather than the registration. I don't think KM can get away with charging you a higher price and then benefiting from a lower ARF because the ARF % is printed on the vehicle log card.

Hope this helps.
Hi Kardtoon, it sure helps. Just another nail to the coffin of hope to get back some dough (Haha!). Nonetheless, it doesn't hurt to clarify with the authorities. From a logic standpoint, I can't understand why the ARF reduction should be tied to the COE instead of registration, but of course, I do understand that if that's the case, those with COE will refuse to register their cars and that will pose a major problem to the car dealers.

Anyway, I'm going through this because I read elsewhere someone who made an S80 purchase saved a total of S$15k simply by registering his vehicle later. Now if that doesn't prompt me to do the same thing when it's perfectly legitimate, I could be hitting my forehead when I realised it later.

Appreciate your candid feedback though.
siewss

kardtoon
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by kardtoon » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:55 pm

Hi Siewss,

I came across the following press release from the onemotoring website.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=967

It was one of the statements in the press release that led me to conclude that the lower ARF only applies to the March COE batch.

"Implementation of Changes to ARF and ED

The new ARF rate will apply to new cars and taxis and GPVs registered with COEs successfully obtained from the March 2004 COE first tender exercise and onwards. "

I hope this doesn't dampen your spirits and I could be be reading this wrongly. I would certainly encourage you to check with the relevant authorities.

:) :)