Accident Involving Unreasonable Citicab Taxi Driver

Home Of The Accordians
Squirreljf
2000rpm
2000rpm

Accident Involving Unreasonable Citicab Taxi Driver

Post by Squirreljf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi all,

Was involved in an accident this morning around 4am at jalan besar.

There was a taxi stopped at the road side just before turning into Dunlop Street, so I had to go left and pass the cab before turning right. He moved off without seeing me turning, and as a result hit my car on the rear right passenger door, denting the door and scratching my rims.

The taxi driver unreasonable behaviour to insist he is right and that I have to compensate him means we can only make insurance claims to resolve this. In this case would insurance claims eventually turn out to be a 50-50?

Subsequently tp came and I was asked to go back to take the breath test. Though I had not crossed the legal limit I was being charged with drink driving and told to return to meet with the investigating officer.

May I know that since I had not crossed the limit and I was in control of my vehicle, would initial charge of drink driving be reduced? What would my penalty be if they do not amend the charge?

Any of you all encounter similar case before mind sharing experience?

Appreciate any advice so I can handle this effectively, thanks to all in advance.

XsenseX
3000rpm
3000rpm

Post by XsenseX » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:00 am

Really Sway …

Why would the TP charge you for drink driving if you didn't cross the limit?

Doesn't make sense.

And you got no camera? Nowadays, in car camera $50 can get a good one … Worth all your trouble …

It seems like the TP made a personal input into this case … most prob he would report you as driving under the influence, not over limit but impaired judgement which cause the accident … Their words cannot be fought against one …

Just LL, pay money and get on with life.

yeobt
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by yeobt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:32 pm

hi, i would like to share with you my humble knowledge pertaining to your incident.

first, when i read the early part of your posting, where you mentioned the cab hits your rear right passenger's door, i know you have a case to win becos
obviously the cab driver didn't check before moving off since your vehicle
was already crossed more than half into his lane.

but the sad part was, you were caught drink driving? the TP had amended the law few years ago to charge any drink drivers that involve in an accident eventhough you may still be within the legal alcohol level in your body. meaning, as long as one admitted he was drinking prior to the accident, he is deem liable for the accident. i dont know about the level of punishment by the law for drink driving accident within an acceptable level, i guess it should be less severe than exceeding the legal limit. however, i think since you would be charged for drink driving, your insurance will be void and the cab company will claim damages from you directly. Yes, as long as you are charged for drink driving, the case is against you.

good luck!
After Spending So Much Time And Money To Own A Car,
You Must Learn To Enjoy The Fun Of Driving It,
Not Stressing Yourself On Your Journey Home.

fEi-
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by fEi- » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

talked nicely to the IO, see if can be further discussed or not regarding your breath test..

nv exceed limit, if check breath, contains alcohol contents, depends on the TP who stopped you to charge or to let you go..
yes, it will still be charged as driving under influence, worst still, endangering other road users..

if the first point cant win, have to find own lawyer to fight, or private settle with the cab driver already bro..

update us yea?
and wish you good luck bro!

joelwong
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by joelwong » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am

License prob won't kantong, but once found with alcohol in your body, u are 100% liable. Sad but true

tlkchew
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by tlkchew » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 am

XsenseX wrote:Really Sway …

Doesn't make sense.

A.
THe rule now is as long as you have alcohol and get into an accident, you can be charged with drink driving... this is due to different people having different limit/tolerance to alcohol.

Ant74
Idling
Idling

Post by Ant74 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:14 pm

tlkchew wrote:
XsenseX wrote:Really Sway …

Doesn't make sense.

A.
THe rule now is as long as you have alcohol and get into an accident, you can be charged with drink driving... this is due to different people having different limit/tolerance to alcohol.
Sad but true...if unluckily, you might be charged for driving under influence of alcohol or reckless driving causing an accident. Penalty - fine and refrain from driving for at least 12 months...

Hope I get it wrong, GOOD LUCK!

Squirreljf
2000rpm
2000rpm

Post by Squirreljf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

Hey all,

Had received a letter from TP just before CNY. Concluded that I am not charged with drink driving as I had passed breathlyser test. Nor with dangerous driving as I was not the cause of the accident.

Now is the next part, which is to settle the insurance claims.

Just received letter from the taxi insurance company and the figure quoted is 4k plus of repairs. Which makes me wonder what else the taxi driver did to his own cab, considering it was just minor paintwork scratches and at most less than 1 day loss of use?

This is one hell of a sneaky taxi driver, is all I can say

fEi-
4000rpm
4000rpm

Post by fEi- » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 am

taxi drivers and the workshops are all like this..

if i did not remember wrongly, as long as you're not 70% at fault you can appeal and might win the case..

just remember, DO NOT OD!!

this kind of case can drag for as long as 3-8 years.. yes it may sound stupid, but my 2009 case only got resolved recently..

yeobt
5000rpm
5000rpm

Post by yeobt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:31 pm

any cases that go to the insurance, the bill includes

1. admin charges
2. surveyor fees
3. workshop with chopper
4. loss of income
5. loss of use.
6. medical claims.

7. lawyer fees if it goes to court. :P
After Spending So Much Time And Money To Own A Car,
You Must Learn To Enjoy The Fun Of Driving It,
Not Stressing Yourself On Your Journey Home.

Waterbottle
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Waterbottle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 pm

Squirreljf wrote:Hey all,

Had received a letter from TP just before CNY. Concluded that I am not charged with drink driving as I had passed breathlyser test. Nor with dangerous driving as I was not the cause of the accident.

Now is the next part, which is to settle the insurance claims.

Just received letter from the taxi insurance company and the figure quoted is 4k plus of repairs. Which makes me wonder what else the taxi driver did to his own cab, considering it was just minor paintwork scratches and at most less than 1 day loss of use?

This is one hell of a sneaky taxi driver, is all I can say
i wonder if u employ a private detective and prove him n workshop blow up the claim, can u counter use them for fraud and get them pay all the bills. Can't the insurance company do an audit on the workshop on the repair work done on the taxi? Easily spot the fraud.

It's time these beasts are taught a lesson.

I'm back with a vengenance....