Unanswered topics Active topics

Help: Knock / Clunk on Front Right Hand Suspension FD1

New Civic model year 2006 onwards
riftan
Idling
Idling

Help: Knock / Clunk on Front Right Hand Suspension FD1

Post by riftan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:10 pm

I bought this car in year 2011. 2010 Thai made. Now 45k kms. Recently it develop knock/ rattle/ clunk on front right hand suspension on bump (random). More likely when goes uphill. Lately it getting more and more on flat road everytime I see bump. Sounds like mineral water or tin can hit into something solid with a bit of solid metal in background (took took took + clook clook clook, hard to describe) All shocks and spring are still stock.

I have replaced with new strut (KYB) and top mounting but not top and bottom rubber cushion. The sound remains there.

Some finding and trial to eliminate possible cause:
* completely removed the sway bar and links. Noise still there
* Engaging handbrake and use first gear to shake the engine to test the engine mount. No noise made
* The bottom right hand engine mount gap is around 5mm.

I desperately wanting to solve this noise but so many people saying so many different things. In my mind the most possible cause is in order as below. Please correct me:
* Top and bottom spring cushions
* Ball Joint
* Inner Tie Rod vs Drive shaft
* Top Right hand engine mounting (dog bone shape) & Bottom Right hand engine mounting
* steering rack???
* arm bushing???

Please help anyone????? Would be even better if it was your own experienced and solution.

Is this noise curable????

jameslee
4000rpm
4000rpm

Re: Help: Knock / Clunk on Front Right Hand Suspension FD1

Post by jameslee » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Make a trip to SKM, Ah Heng might be able to help
James

riftan
Idling
Idling

Post by riftan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:18 am

I am 6300kms away from you and divided by ocean :)

I am in australia.

Just wondering if there is anybody who experienced this and found the solution? Or maybe can give me professional second opinion that would be much appreciated

deanlim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by deanlim » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:50 am

maybe u would like to check your front lower arm bushings...

regards

riftan
Idling
Idling

Post by riftan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Have you experienced similar sound before???

riftan
Idling
Idling

Post by riftan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:13 pm

deanlim wrote:maybe u would like to check your front lower arm bushings...

regards
Have you experienced similar problem before?

deanlim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by deanlim » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm

riftan wrote:
deanlim wrote:maybe u would like to check your front lower arm bushings...

regards
Have you experienced similar problem before?
I'm driving a accord....

I also experiencing these knock sound on my front left suspension, it appears when i'm turning into up slope @ slow speed, going thru humps @ slow speed & sometimes on uneven road during driving....

I've changed the front end links & front swaybar bushings, still having the sound

so when i was doing tyre swap, i notice some of the front lower arm bushings already split... so i order the bushings & have them changed...... & the knock sound doesnt appear any more

hope it's the same problem that u're facing

regards

riftan
Idling
Idling

Post by riftan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:05 am

deanlim wrote:
I'm driving a accord....

I also experiencing these knock sound on my front left suspension, it appears when i'm turning into up slope @ slow speed, going thru humps @ slow speed & sometimes on uneven road during driving....

I've changed the front end links & front swaybar bushings, still having the sound

so when i was doing tyre swap, i notice some of the front lower arm bushings already split... so i order the bushings & have them changed...... & the knock sound doesnt appear any more

regards
How old was your car and how many km it had that time? Mine is only 3-4 yo and never been trashed. And it only has 45k - 50k kms on the clock now.

deanlim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by deanlim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:52 am

riftan wrote:
deanlim wrote:
I'm driving a accord....

regards
How old was your car and how many km it had that time? Mine is only 3-4 yo and never been trashed. And it only has 45k - 50k kms on the clock now.
Currently my ride is on the 10th year of it's life.... the sound appears quite a few years back, just that the sound doesnt pop out too frequent, so i was bare with it & along the way i've changed the endlinks , bushings & tighten the subframe bolts during a few oil change servicing, but still cannot resolve the problem

just that a few months back while swapping out the tyres, i took a closer look @ the lower arm bushings as i narrow down to the lower arm bushings to be the root cause & since after the bushing change, i dun have such problem any more.

One of my bushings looks something like this

Image Image

regards
Last edited by deanlim on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

riftan
Idling
Idling

Post by riftan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:11 pm

i just checked the car. no crack on the bushing. pretty good.

but i jotice the top spring cushion not sitting neatly against the top mount. also the engine mounting gap is around 3-4mm.

these are the only thing i can think off

i also have checked the ball joint, ext tie rod, int tie rod and cv joint. all good. except the driveshaft dunno how to.

deanlim
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by deanlim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:46 pm

maybe u can try a delicated FD forum for help

http://www.civicfd-sg.com/index.php

Regards