Unanswered topics Active topics

Air cond got mildew smell

New Civic model year 2006 onwards
Gymrat76
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Air cond got mildew smell

Post by Gymrat76 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 am

My wife's Civic has been having this musty smell when we turn of the air cond for the past few months. The smells comes on the first half minute or so after we on the air cond then disappears, smells like rotting fruit and we noticed it becomes worse after a wet/rainy day.

Tried changing the aircond filter to those charcoal filters and it lasted a few months before the smells came back. Any recommendations on how to fix this? I heard of sprays you can spray into the vents and then leave the aircond running for a while, or any shops that can help solve this? Thanks! :)

yanto1826
1000rpm
1000rpm

Re: Air cond got mildew smell

Post by yanto1826 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am

Gymrat76 wrote:My wife's Civic has been having this musty smell when we turn of the air cond for the past few months. The smells comes on the first half minute or so after we on the air cond then disappears, smells like rotting fruit and we noticed it becomes worse after a wet/rainy day.

Tried changing the aircond filter to those charcoal filters and it lasted a few months before the smells came back. Any recommendations on how to fix this? I heard of sprays you can spray into the vents and then leave the aircond running for a while, or any shops that can help solve this? Thanks! :)
Hi ....
Just do this simple step for a few times...

1. Remove all scent products.
2. When parking your car, stationary, turn your zircon 30degree, full blast for about 3-4mins.
3. Do it a few times, and put in a new filter with good charcoal element.

yanto1826
1000rpm
1000rpm

Re: Air cond got mildew smell

Post by yanto1826 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 am

yanto1826 wrote:
Gymrat76 wrote:My wife's Civic has been having this musty smell when we turn of the air cond for the past few months. The smells comes on the first half minute or so after we on the air cond then disappears, smells like rotting fruit and we noticed it becomes worse after a wet/rainy day.

Hi ....
Just do this simple step for a few times...

1. Remove all scent products.
2. When parking your car, stationary, turn your zircon 30degree, full blast for about 3-4mins.
3. Do it a few times, and put in a new filter with good charcoal element.
This is to clear off the rotting scent product in your aircon system.
RacingStyle & Design.
Yanto +6592306608
https://www.facebook.com/pages/RacingSt ... 1772038454

Blitzer
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Post by Blitzer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:45 pm

musky smells are typical symptoms of an aircon system having absorbed fungi and dead bacteria around the cooling coil fins.

Left untreated these form clumps that can lead to corrosion and cooling coil leaks.

The ideal way to deal with this is to thoroughly flush your a/c system and refill with the proper balance of R134A and correct a/c oil. Thereafter sanitise your cabin to kill off all bacteria and fungi.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maintena ... 0234684419