Unanswered topicsActive topics

Jerk when put into 'D'

Need technical advice ?
eventine
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016

Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby eventine » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Driving an 08 FD2 auto. Recently, when I shift from 'P' to 'D' in the morning, there's a strong jerk. Only jerk once in the morning after cold start.

Any idea what's wrong?

canuck78
3000rpm
3000rpm
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby canuck78 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 am

Gearbox going to uplorry soon. Better change ATF first and pray that it helps. Else gonna burn a hole in your pocket soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kandinsky
Idling
Idling
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby kandinsky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 am

Change the entire gear system!


eventine wrote:Driving an 08 FD2 auto. Recently, when I shift from 'P' to 'D' in the morning, there's a strong jerk. Only jerk once in the morning after cold start.

Any idea what's wrong?

Rickko_chill
1000rpm
1000rpm
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby Rickko_chill » Thu May 19, 2016 5:44 pm

eventine wrote:Driving an 08 FD2 auto. Recently, when I shift from 'P' to 'D' in the morning, there's a strong jerk. Only jerk once in the morning after cold start.

Any idea what's wrong?


@eventine : my recommendation would be to bring it to your workshop and have them to inspect the ENGINE MOUNTING - Lower Engine Mount. While car jerk in the mrng is an easy symptom of Gearbox failure, it's an even more obvious sign of wrecked Engine Mounting . The jerk could be caused by "insufficient" pressure in the mrng or just simply because the engine mounting causing it.

Do you any Scangauge or water temp in your car?

pentux
Idling
Idling
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby pentux » Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 pm

is the old bird still helping people with good advice?

i just encounter car jerking when accelerating slowly. mechanic who replaced my gearbox told me is plug coil issue, ask me to replace all but told me to look for replacement myself as might be cheaper. they specialized in gearbox repair. i am considering replacing the plug coil but need 2nd opinion as i can go dealer to get the parts and get my mechanic to replace it.

Rickko_chill
1000rpm
1000rpm
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby Rickko_chill » Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 pm

pentux wrote:is the old bird still helping people with good advice?

i just encounter car jerking when accelerating slowly. mechanic who replaced my gearbox told me is plug coil issue, ask me to replace all but told me to look for replacement myself as might be cheaper. they specialized in gearbox repair. i am considering replacing the plug coil but need 2nd opinion as i can go dealer to get the parts and get my mechanic to replace it.


@pentux: when u mention jerk, how severe is the jerk? For plug coil - your mechanic refers to the misfiring that causes the jerk? A misfire jerk is shaky like having a forward push and backward pull motion when the car is at a complete stop.

Have you replaced your atf oil recently? Or how much mileage is it on?

pentux
Idling
Idling
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby pentux » Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Rickko_chill wrote:
pentux wrote:is the old bird still helping people with good advice?

i just encounter car jerking when accelerating slowly. mechanic who replaced my gearbox told me is plug coil issue, ask me to replace all but told me to look for replacement myself as might be cheaper. they specialized in gearbox repair. i am considering replacing the plug coil but need 2nd opinion as i can go dealer to get the parts and get my mechanic to replace it.


@pentux: when u mention jerk, how severe is the jerk? For plug coil - your mechanic refers to the misfiring that causes the jerk? A misfire jerk is shaky like having a forward push and backward pull motion when the car is at a complete stop.

Have you replaced your atf oil recently? Or how much mileage is it on?


the jerk can be felt if i maintain my speed around 40 - 60km/h range but if i depress harder on the accelerator, it will somehow stabalise. i did servicing recently only and i dont recall atf oil being replaced.

over 140K mileage already.
also got this problem when car stationary, once in blue moon will get a engine jerk motion. very hard to describe it but the same mechanic say maybe trottle body

Rickko_chill
1000rpm
1000rpm
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby Rickko_chill » Wed May 25, 2016 5:37 pm

@pentux: if that's the case, i would have recommend that you go for a ATF change(no flush!), and let the atf run in for a while to see if the slow jerk(sort of ride quality as if u are travelling on very rough and uneven road?)

At the oil change, good to get the mech to look at your lower engine mounting also..

superlemonevo
2000rpm
2000rpm
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby superlemonevo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:45 pm

u can visit rfa racing in jb to settle the problem.91278747

redraskal
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby redraskal » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

Actually the jerking could be caused by really many things, some of which could turn out to be easy fixes. It can range from your starter having problems, to the transmission system having issues to even the exhaust. You can read more here:

https://motor.onehowto.com/article/why- ... s-367.html

It can also just be that your transmission fluid is either not enough or is dirty, you might just need a transmission fluid change or top up:

https://sgcarservicing.com/transmission-fluid-change/

Chloe8
1000rpm
1000rpm
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015

Re: Jerk when put into 'D'

Postby Chloe8 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 pm

redraskal wrote:Actually the jerking could be caused by really many things, some of which could turn out to be easy fixes. It can range from your starter having problems, to the transmission system having issues to even the exhaust. You can read more here:

https://motor.onehowto.com/article/why- ... s-367.html

It can also just be that your transmission fluid is either not enough or is dirty, you might just need a transmission fluid change or top up:

https://sgcarservicing.com/transmission-fluid-change/

good post :D


Return to “Technical Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest