Unanswered topics Active topics

Honda Accord CM4/5 mainly (Stories, mods, meetups...)

Home Of The Accordians
bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Thanks for the advice

Post by bobaccord » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:20 am

Hi Siewss

Thanks for the advice, will back-date the registration date of the car.

Will let you know of any worth-hearing information accordingly.

I think Kartoon is right... LTA has already announced the PARF reduction is COE registered oriented and looks like we may not get any 5K cash and go for a nice holiday in June with our family.

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Thanks for the advice

Post by siewss » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:37 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi Siewss

Thanks for the advice, will back-date the registration date of the car.

Will let you know of any worth-hearing information accordingly.

I think Kartoon is right... LTA has already announced the PARF reduction is COE registered oriented and looks like we may not get any 5K cash and go for a nice holiday in June with our family.
You're right Bob, I checked with LTA and they replied the same. I questioned the rationale behind it. It boggles me how ARF, a vehicular tax, can actually be govern by the time the COE is secured, and not to the time the car is registered. I've attached LTA's reply for your reference. I also talked to the officer and she of course gave me the standard textbook reply. Nobody, it seems, could offer a satisfactory answer. Of course, she offered some consolatory reply that my PARF is higher than those who paid ARF of 110% of OMV. Sigh...
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:59 pm

kardtoon wrote:Hi Siewss,

I came across the following press release from the onemotoring website.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=967

It was one of the statements in the press release that led me to conclude that the lower ARF only applies to the March COE batch.

"Implementation of Changes to ARF and ED

The new ARF rate will apply to new cars and taxis and GPVs registered with COEs successfully obtained from the March 2004 COE first tender exercise and onwards. "

I hope this doesn't dampen your spirits and I could be be reading this wrongly. I would certainly encourage you to check with the relevant authorities.

:) :)
Thanks Kardtoon. As I've replied to Bob, I'm resigned to the fate that what will be will be, although I'm quite inclined to write to the press, but my work demands my attention and time. I guess I'll have to let it go this round. Everybody seems to follow policies blindly, but I tend to think that a lot of the policy changes has other motives that are not explained to the public.

Maybe next time. Although I could have saved a few thousand bucks, I'm thankful my COE wasn't all that high.
siewss

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:33 pm

Hi Siew! Welcome back from China, and Cameron Highlands! :)

I guess you can take consolation in that you paid about 100k, not far off compared to the 97k which was only around for a short while.

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

COllection of accord

Post by bobaccord » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:04 pm

Will be collecting my car on 5 April 2004.

Flying to Korea tonite, so have fun in SIngapore....

BTW, any nice beaches in Trengganu? Like to take my family there for holiday...

thanks

Robert

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:47 am

EKen4 wrote:Hi Siew! Welcome back from China, and Cameron Highlands! :)

I guess you can take consolation in that you paid about 100k, not far off compared to the 97k which was only around for a short while.
Thanks. I enjoyed both the China and Cameron Highland trip much more than India. At least the hot pot and dim sum was enjoyable, not to mention the starfishes and the seahorses (I jest, but they really sell them along the streets).

The accord is now going for S$100k, $500 less that my listed price. Still a good time to go in. Surprisingly with the ARF cut, the price of the Odyssey actually went up - Now it's priced at S$113k. Demand is high, I'm sure.

Should be getting the car soon. It's already on our shore. It's just too bad my money's tied up at the moment, so I can't collect the car sooner. However, I also have the aim of going for SFH registration. Not sure why, but SFG doesn't appeal to me.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: COllection of accord

Post by siewss » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:03 am

bobaccord wrote:Will be collecting my car on 5 April 2004.

thanks

Robert
Great, you'll get your car earlier than me. I'm aiming for 10 to 15 of Apr. Did you manage to post date your registration?

Hope you have a fruitful trip to Korea. I'm not sure which beach is nicest in Trengganu, but I understand that all beaches are nice. I was there 20 plus years ago when I was very young, and I remembered spending the night out sleeping on the soft fine white sand waiting for the turtles to appear. One eventually did, and laid some eggs. I was sad to see the locals digging for the eggs immediately after the turtle turned back into the sea.
Trengganu should take you about 7 hours drive. You'll enjoy the trip in the accord, not your corona. If you have the chance to go to Redang, I'm sure you won't regret it.

I've got reservist training in the month of June, so that kind of spoil my holiday plan, but I'm still considering Trengganu, if time permits.

Let us know your feeling when you get the car, though I kind of know that feeling myself. Ha!
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: COllection of accord

Post by siewss » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:06 am

bobaccord wrote:Will be collecting my car on 5 April 2004.

thanks

Robert
Great, you'll get your car earlier than me. I'm aiming for 10 to 15 of Apr. Did you manage to post date your registration?

Hope you have a fruitful trip to Korea. I'm not sure which beach is nicest in Trengganu, but I understand that all beaches are nice. I was there 20 plus years ago when I was very young, and I remembered spending the night out sleeping on the soft fine white sand waiting for the turtles to appear. One eventually did, and laid some eggs. I was sad to see the locals digging for the eggs immediately after the turtle turned back into the sea.
Trengganu should take you about 7 hours drive. You'll enjoy the trip in the accord, not your corona. If you have the chance to go to Redang, I'm sure you won't regret it.

I've got reservist training in the month of June, so that kind of spoil my holiday plan, but I'm still considering Trengganu, if time permits.

Let us know your feeling when you get the car, though I kind of know that feeling myself. Ha!
siewss

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

post registered my car

Post by bobaccord » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:39 pm

I register my car on 2nd April... and hope to collect 5 April... already apply leave for the whole day... collect car, change free tyres... go a ride...

Redang beach... hmmmm i will try, heard abt it before.

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: post registered my car

Post by siewss » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:35 pm

bobaccord wrote:I register my car on 2nd April... and hope to collect 5 April... already apply leave for the whole day... collect car, change free tyres... go a ride...

Redang beach... hmmmm i will try, heard abt it before.
After checking with my banker, I realise I can squeeze out the cash to go ahead with the registration. I think I'll go down this Friday and post-date the registration. Aim to collect the car on 2 Apr, so it looks like I may get the car earlier than you. So I can share with you my feelings 1st, if that happens.

Redang's an island, so you'll have to leave your car on mainland. Make sure you have a proper place to park 1st before embarking on that trip. I have relatives living in Trengganu, so my parking problem is settled.

Heard more feedback from a colleague whose friend own the latest Accord. He said it's a marvellous car to drive, much, much better than the Cefiro he was driving before. Another sound endorsement. Thai made or not, it sure is making a name for itself.
siewss

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:28 am

siewss wrote:Thanks. I enjoyed both the China and Cameron Highland trip much more than India. At least the hot pot and dim sum was enjoyable, not to mention the starfishes and the seahorses (I jest, but they really sell them along the streets).

The accord is now going for S$100k, $500 less that my listed price. Still a good time to go in. Surprisingly with the ARF cut, the price of the Odyssey actually went up - Now it's priced at S$113k. Demand is high, I'm sure.

Should be getting the car soon. It's already on our shore. It's just too bad my money's tied up at the moment, so I can't collect the car sooner. However, I also have the aim of going for SFH registration. Not sure why, but SFG doesn't appeal to me.
I have not been to Cameron Highland for 14 years now, how's the place now? I remember I used to stay on Strawberry Park Hotel then. By the way, I have booked a tour to Korea, leaving almost straight after my papers. haha!

The sea horses, are they the same items as those dried ones we see at Chinatown?

I have stopped following the car prices now, having spent about $600 replacing worn parts in my car, so think I would want to apportion that expense over a period of time. haha! My dad talked to me about the new Odyssey, but when i suggested that he buy it, he immediately changed topic! haha!

I read that you should be getting your car come 2nd April? That's good news! Accords are really increasing in numbers on the roads, and I get a wierd sense of joy whenever i see them. haha!

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:35 pm

Well, Cameron hasn't change much. The vegetable market's still there, and so were the strawberry, cactus and bee farms. The more enjoyable part of the trip was the slow drive through Boh Tea plantation. Our kids thoroughly enjoyed running between the hedges, pretending the whole place to be a giant maze. They didn't quite like the farms, and would rather spend the better part of the day in the lodge. One thing to note though, if you're thinking of going next time, don't stop by to eat at the halfway town named Ringlet. The place is infested with flies. We ordered our wan ton noodle and got 2 free cooked flies underneath the veggy and the char siew. By some miracle, none of us suffered from stomach upset, other than a sense of disgust.

You've finally decided on Korea? Well, it's a skiing haven, but nothing much else, I think. Enjoy yourselves! You may leave Korea suitably impressed by Hyundai's and Kia's.

I don't know if the sea horses are similar to the dried ones in Chinatown, cos I've never seen the latter. But those in Beijing comes skewered and BBQed, 3 to a stick. Oh I forgot to mention, they were selling centipedes as well.

Since I'm getting the car soon, I've also lost interest in tracking car prices. A few thousand up and down doesn't raise eyebrows anymore. I paid S$3k COE for my 1st car, S$15k for the 2nd, S$46k for the 3rd, S$44k for the 4th, and finally S$22 for the 5th. Come to think of it, I didn't realised I went through 5 cars in 10 years. I hope I can keep the Accord for longer period of time. The 4th COE is the only one that gave me a heartache.

Yep, I'm going down to KM to sign tomorrow. I've decided to register the car on April fools' day and collect the car on 2 Apr (if that's possible). At least I'll have the weekend to fawn over it.
siewss

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Greetings from Cheju Island, Korea

Post by bobaccord » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:46 pm

Hi

Went back to my hotel room, On my computer and my wireless detect a network and i was able to access the NEt!!!! Not sure how a wireless network exist in the hotel up in the hotel guest room...

Anyway, Korea is quite cold now... about 5 degress in the monring... Cheju Island is actually quite a nice place, clean and quiet... anyone wants to vsiit the island, let me know.

let's keep in touch and exchange our experience on driving the new accord...

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Greetings from Cheju Island, Korea

Post by siewss » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:10 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi

Went back to my hotel room, On my computer and my wireless detect a network and i was able to access the NEt!!!! Not sure how a wireless network exist in the hotel up in the hotel guest room...

Anyway, Korea is quite cold now... about 5 degress in the monring... Cheju Island is actually quite a nice place, clean and quiet... anyone wants to vsiit the island, let me know.

let's keep in touch and exchange our experience on driving the new accord...
Hello Bob, this is called living in the WiFi age. Enjoy the wonders of technology.

I want to check with you on this. I requested the SE to fix my registration date but he said the date cannot be selected and it all depends on where I stand in the queue. So it looks like the I may not be able to secure a 3 digit SFH registration no. Is this true for your case? You were able to fix the registration on 2 Apr and collect on 5 Apr, so I thought I'll do the same. This SE has taken over my case because my SE will be delivering her baby soon.

Take care and have a fruitful trip. Your accord's waiting for your when you get back.
siewss

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

registration

Post by bobaccord » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:43 pm

hi siewss

forgot 2 tell u that i retain my old number SCL XXXX.

that's why no quene...i tihink

although i was told to collect e car on 5 april 2004... my SE din say 100% but did mentioned no problem.

currently at Seoul airport lounge waiting 2 come hm midnight, rest for 1 day (sunday) b4 flying off 2 KL on Monday morning for 5 more days....

then when i m bk to singapore, i will probablty take 1-day leave on 5 april to collect e car, change my tyres (free) and perhaps go 2 the range 2 whack a few ball