Unanswered topics Active topics

Honda Accord CM4/5 mainly (Stories, mods, meetups...)

Home Of The Accordians
siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: registration

Post by siewss » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:36 pm

bobaccord wrote:hi siewss

forgot 2 tell u that i retain my old number SCL XXXX.

that's why no quene...i tihink

although i was told to collect e car on 5 april 2004... my SE din say 100% but did mentioned no problem.

currently at Seoul airport lounge waiting 2 come hm midnight, rest for 1 day (sunday) b4 flying off 2 KL on Monday morning for 5 more days....

then when i m bk to singapore, i will probablty take 1-day leave on 5 april to collect e car, change my tyres (free) and perhaps go 2 the range 2 whack a few ball
Hi Bob, that could help explain. I asked other people and it seems like it can be done, although they don't promise 100%. KM will just send the runners down to LTA and register on the day itself. Anyway you case is different since you're retaining your old no. I'm not sure if I should retain my old one - it's not great but neither is it bad.

I was told I can get the car the next day after registration. He'll partially prepare the car 1st and then do the finishing job after registration. However, now that I can't register the car on 1st Apr, I've decided I'll just stick to my original plan and register the car in Mid Apr. I'm not in a hurry anyway.

You may also want to spend 5 Apr afternoon reading the accord manual.
siewss

zakuii
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Re: post registered my car

Post by zakuii » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:58 pm

siewss wrote:
bobaccord wrote:I register my car on 2nd April... and hope to collect 5 April... already apply leave for the whole day... collect car, change free tyres... go a ride...

Redang beach... hmmmm i will try, heard abt it before.
After checking with my banker, I realise I can squeeze out the cash to go ahead with the registration. I think I'll go down this Friday and post-date the registration. Aim to collect the car on 2 Apr, so it looks like I may get the car earlier than you. So I can share with you my feelings 1st, if that happens.

Redang's an island, so you'll have to leave your car on mainland. Make sure you have a proper place to park 1st before embarking on that trip. I have relatives living in Trengganu, so my parking problem is settled.

Heard more feedback from a colleague whose friend own the latest Accord. He said it's a marvellous car to drive, much, much better than the Cefiro he was driving before. Another sound endorsement. Thai made or not, it sure is making a name for itself.
Honda cars are of high quality. In the USA, there is a report that Toyota and Honda have the least defect counts.

zakuii
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zakuii » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:03 pm

bobaccord wrote:I register my car on 2nd April... and hope to collect 5 April... already apply leave for the whole day... collect car, change free tyres... go a ride...

Redang beach... hmmmm i will try, heard abt it before.
What tyres are you changing to? more peformance type like potenza S03? 8)

doing v-cool? wax/polish?

a lot of things to do, even for a new car, right?

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:30 pm

zakuii wrote:
Honda cars are of high quality. In the USA, there is a report that Toyota and Honda have the least defect counts.
Indeed, that's why we end up buying the accord! :)

However, the Accord in US are made in US, while the one I'm getting comes from sunshine land.
siewss

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Car tyres

Post by bobaccord » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:27 pm

Hi Siewss/Zakuii

I am changing to a A500 Aspect DB, 215x16x55, no sporty tyres... afraid the temptation to ram and drinks petrol...

For Vkool, unlikely i will do it. infact, my SE told me that our Accord is already coated with some heat-shield materials, and advise me not to do Vkool.

For the wax/polish... no choice, right? Since Black when dirty is very obvious. My SE mentioned that he will give me a 01 free voucher for one wax/polishing... no idea where the place/coy is

btw, is it necessary to use Shell XO for our accord? normally i use shell 98 for my Rover.. what about our accord? any particular petrol? and how about the engine oil... I heard it is recommend to use Honda ATZ or something...
you have any ideas?

for the 1st 1000-1500, is it true that we should not ram more than 3000 rpm?

Will be in Kl from Monday - Friday...

Hey, anyone here collecting the accord besides me and Siewss for this coming batch?

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Car tyres

Post by siewss » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:24 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi Siewss/Zakuii

I am changing to a A500 Aspect DB, 215x16x55, no sporty tyres... afraid the temptation to ram and drinks petrol...

For Vkool, unlikely i will do it. infact, my SE told me that our Accord is already coated with some heat-shield materials, and advise me not to do Vkool.

For the wax/polish... no choice, right? Since Black when dirty is very obvious. My SE mentioned that he will give me a 01 free voucher for one wax/polishing... no idea where the place/coy is

btw, is it necessary to use Shell XO for our accord? normally i use shell 98 for my Rover.. what about our accord? any particular petrol? and how about the engine oil... I heard it is recommend to use Honda ATZ or something...
you have any ideas?

Hey, anyone here collecting the accord besides me and Siewss for this coming batch?
Haha, Bob, though the A500 is a comfort biase tyre, it's unlikely you can resist the temptation to rev. That's what VTECs are designed for. Maximum Rev, Maximum pleasure. If you're thinking of driving to KL and Terengganu, perish the thought of a non-sporty drive. I can just imagine all accord drivers cruising at 150kmh with a silly grin on the face.

Your SE said that? heat shield already pre-installed? What kind of marketing is this, to hide good stuff from the customer? I asked my SE too, and he said he has no "kang tow" with v-kool and the likes. Maybe that's why he's so unwilling to do it up for me, because it's extra effort on his part and he probably get no commission for it. The idea of heat shield is to protect the leather from excessive UV exposure because prolong sunshine will dry up the moisture and cause it to crack. I was quite happy with my huperoptik and it really shows it's usefulness on long hauls along Malaysian road. Anyway, I'll try finding out more about the heat shield that your SE is talking about.

Got this from another forumner - Good wax/polish product and services. I might just try:

http://www.zymol.com/onestp2.htm

http://www.cazcomp.com

I think I'll go fo the Zymol 1st. It's only S$18.90 per bottle at Carrefour. Looks like we're in for some car slavery. By the way, your SE offered you a wax/polish package? Did you ask for it or was it given freely?

No, I think Shell V-Power is not necessary. The i-vtec is designed to take low grade petrols (eg. those found in Thailand), thus the not-so-high horsepower figure. So there's no need to go for premium XO but no harm if you want to maintain clean injectors and valves. I've been pumping Shell V-Power for years and never had to send my car for injector cleaning. Anyway, it should be mentioned in the manual the type of recommended octane level fuel you can use. Same for engine oil.

1st 1000km? Yeah, I guess it's better not to rev the engine. The manual says so, yeah? No point taking the risk to stress the engine. Just listen to the design engineers who design the engine and write the manual - don't think they can be wrong. Anyway, 1500km will be over in 2 weeks for me.

Have a safe trip to Malaysia. If you come across any Honda dealership,........

I'm probably going to collect my car mid Apr. So enjoy your car 2 weeks earlier 1st.
siewss

zakuii
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zakuii » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:27 am

you have any ideas?

Bob, it is very hard to resist revving the engine. it is a 2.4l i-vtec leh... so much power. better to go for better tyres to complement the engine. :)

all honda cars from KM got green glass. so does my honda city. however, i still find the car interior very hot after parking under the sun for only a short while. SE will not give v-kool cos' it is expensive. i tried bargaining for it when i booked the stream, but my SE shows me the price list. $1150 for v-kool. at the end, gave me $500 cashback instead.

i have intentions to do glare on the stream. i chose black as well. glare suppose can last 18 mths, with warranty. just need to give it a regular wash every week. no need to wax/polish.

as for petrol, try the different brands out there until you find one that gives you a balance of power and FC.

For KM, car needs to be serviced at 1000 km. They will replace the mineral oil with Shell Helix Ultra synthetic oil. But you can bring your own oil. Personally, I will not rev above 3000rpm for the 1st 3000 km. There's no fix guideline to this though. depends on how comfortable you are.

enjoy!

bobaccord
6000rpm VTEC ON
6000rpm VTEC ON

Accord - countdown 6 days to car collection

Post by bobaccord » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:07 pm

Hi Siewss and Zakuii

Vkool- not sure how effective it is. Anyway, in our local temperature context, the regardless of the 'shield' the heat will always be there.

My SE din mention about the free wax/polish voucher until we bought the car. perhaps it is a complimentary offer to 'try' out that particualr company, and if i like it, then i will sign up later.

my SE advised me not to put V-kool... not necessary as it is already shielded, exactly what kind of shield i don't know...

I will certainly look around for a good wax/polishing package for my accord... so if u hv good ones, let me know

1500 Km in 2 weeks? wow... that's fast... for my i clock abt 500 km in 7 days... provided i don't drive to JB to play golf, which i will not of course... for the time being...

ok... going back to work in KL now...

cheers
1000rpm
1000rpm

Post by cheers » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:40 pm

Hi Bob/Siewss,

Great to hear that you guys will be collecting your cars soon...checked with my SE and she says May...Long long wait...

The last time I posted some pictures on the alternative interior trimings...I found them on this US website

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accext03.html.

There are lots of accessories but they are not allowed to ship out of US...dun really know whether we can find some of them in Thai.

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Re: Accord - countdown 6 days to car collection

Post by siewss » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:03 pm

bobaccord wrote:Hi Siewss and Zakuii

Vkool- not sure how effective it is. Anyway, in our local temperature context, the regardless of the 'shield' the heat will always be there.

My SE din mention about the free wax/polish voucher until we bought the car. perhaps it is a complimentary offer to 'try' out that particualr company, and if i like it, then i will sign up later.

my SE advised me not to put V-kool... not necessary as it is already shielded, exactly what kind of shield i don't know...

I will certainly look around for a good wax/polishing package for my accord... so if u hv good ones, let me know

1500 Km in 2 weeks? wow... that's fast... for my i clock abt 500 km in 7 days... provided i don't drive to JB to play golf, which i will not of course... for the time being...

ok... going back to work in KL now...
Hi Bob, strange that your SE kept dissuading you from taking up v-kool. But again the reason I gave earlier loom. Anyway, to each his own. Sun shields only slows down the heat build up, so your point is correct. However, as I've always repeated, the results are very telling when you drive long distance under the afternoon sun.

Free polish/wax sounds good to me, but note the kind of polish they use. Hopefully they are not new startups using your brand new baby as a guinea pig. Just a thought - my suspicious mind in overdrive again. Everytime I go for these polishing service, it's almost certain that they will hard sell the package.

You're not driving for your golf sessions? I'm surprised! Well you did mention that you're driving to Malaysia, but that's 2 months away. By then, maybe you already tire of your accord. Well, I've already chalked up 120k km for my < 4 years Sunny, so I don't think my mileage is going to be any less with the accord, unless I move to district 10 where my kids' school and enrichment lessons are.

I tried out my friend's Stream that has been souped up. The pick up's really good. I was impressed by the revised strut bar and air filter, lowered suspension and 17" rims. I think it drives as well as the accord, if not better. Hmm, 2L performing like a 2.4L, my 2.4L should perform like a 2.8L....

Work hard, for your reward is just over the weekend.

Cheers.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:10 pm

cheers wrote:Hi Bob/Siewss,

Great to hear that you guys will be collecting your cars soon...checked with my SE and she says May...Long long wait...

The last time I posted some pictures on the alternative interior trimings...I found them on this US website

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accext03.html.

There are lots of accessories but they are not allowed to ship out of US...dun really know whether we can find some of them in Thai.
Ok, Cheers, you're the next eager driver. 1 month will go past very quickly. I got my COE in Jan and before long, it's already April.

Thanks for the website. I tried out a few other websites but decided that all the accessories are ridiculously priced. Other than the foglamp and the heat shield, I doubt I'll be spending on any much else.

I'll probably drop by Tanly to looksee. There may be some good buys.
siewss

siewss
8000rpm Red Line
8000rpm Red Line

Post by siewss » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:13 pm

zakuii wrote:

Bob, it is very hard to resist revving the engine. it is a 2.4l i-vtec leh... so much power. better to go for better tyres to complement the engine. :)

all honda cars from KM got green glass. so does my honda city. however, i still find the car interior very hot after parking under the sun for only a short while. SE will not give v-kool cos' it is expensive. i tried bargaining for it when i booked the stream, but my SE shows me the price list. $1150 for v-kool. at the end, gave me $500 cashback instead.

i have intentions to do glare on the stream. i chose black as well. glare suppose can last 18 mths, with warranty. just need to give it a regular wash every week. no need to wax/polish.

as for petrol, try the different brands out there until you find one that gives you a balance of power and FC.

For KM, car needs to be serviced at 1000 km. They will replace the mineral oil with Shell Helix Ultra synthetic oil. But you can bring your own oil. Personally, I will not rev above 3000rpm for the 1st 3000 km. There's no fix guideline to this though. depends on how comfortable you are.

enjoy!
Hello Zakuii, now you got me interested in Glare. 18 months warranty against fades and spider webs? I like that. Do you have any URL you can refer me to?

Thanks.
siewss

zakuii
7000rpm VTEC ON
7000rpm VTEC ON

Post by zakuii » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:44 am

siewss wrote:
zakuii wrote:

enjoy!
Hello Zakuii, now you got me interested in Glare. 18 months warranty against fades and spider webs? I like that. Do you have any URL you can refer me to?

Thanks.
check it out... http://www.glare.com.sg. Most probably I'll go for it. Just need to find out more details from them. I do not fancy polishing/waxing a MPV every month. :roll:

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Post by EKen4 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:53 am

you have any ideas?

Hi! The previous Aspec DB is notorious for its lack of wet grip, so you might want to practise more caution when you first experience the wet with the A500. It's an improved version, but it still pays to be more on the safe side.

EKen4
S2000 Moderator
S2000 Moderator

Re: registration

Post by EKen4 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:00 am

Hi Siew! Glad to hear that you are going to collect your car very soon.

My Korea trip is not confirmed now, although i have paid the deposit. The tour agency is up to some tricks, and I'm waiting to see what are they going to tell me next week. Meanwhile, I'm trying to come up with a plan B for another tour destination (most prob self-drive in Australia again), but i do not have much time lately, preparing for exams and looking out for jobs at the same time.

Meanwhile, happy waiting for your Accord, and happy running-in! Looking forward to meeting you after my exams (or possibly after my holidays)!